Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran FO suspended for dropping family off at circus in uniform...WTF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

j41driver

From the latest NPA email...is Mgmt trying to piss us off???

Fellow Pilots,
Yesterday, your NPA leadership was notified by the company that First Officer xxxxx xxxx was suspended for five days simply because he dropped off his kids at the recent Family Awareness Circus Event while wearing his uniform. First Officer xxxx was on his way to work at the time, and merely stopped by the event to drop off his family so they could enjoy a day at the circus. To the best of the NPA's knowledge, First Officer xxxx has had a spotless record during his tenure at AirTran Airways. Despite his record of faithful service to this airline, AirTran senior management made the decision to suspend this pilot merely to fire a shot across the NPA's bow in regards to wearing uniforms at union-sanctioned events. Your union finds this action by the company to be completely unacceptable.
What could AirTran senior management possibly hope to gain by taking this unwarranted action against a faithful employee? The answer is obvious. Management’s intent is clearly to intimidate our members and scare you into not taking part in union-sanctioned activities. Prior to issuing this suspension, senior management threatened the NPA with the possibility of a suspension if we refused to relinquish our right to wear our uniforms at union events and demonstrations. The NPA steadfastly refused to relinquish our rights, and management's retaliation was swift. Make no mistake, senior management understands clearly that our strength is in our unity, and intimidation and scare tactics aim to divide and conquer this pilot group. We must stand strong and unified, and refuse to allow these tactics to divide us.
As a union, we must always remember that an attack on one of our pilots is an attack on all of our pilots. Today the victim is First Officer xxxx, tomorrow the victim could be any one of you. Who will be the next pilot that senior management chooses to use as an example? The way to prevent this is to stand together and act as one unified group.
Rest assured, your NPA Board of Directors will use every resource at its disposal to defend this pilot and any other pilot that management chooses to attack in this manner. Your Board of Directors has unanimously decided to provide First Officer xxxx with flight pay loss to compensate for his lost pay due to this suspension. We will also vigorously pursue a grievance to strike this unwarranted blemish from his previously spotless employment record.
Remember, as union pilots, we must join together in common purpose and act as one unified group. We must defend our own. We must not back down to threats and intimidation tactics. We will not be intimidated. We will not be divided.
In Unity,
Your NPA Board of Directors

Answer from management to your Alpa vote

I had heard before he worked at Airtran he was part of the traveling circus.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If I can't wear my uniform to the circus, then I don't want to wear it at all. What would be the point?

The FO in question is a stand up guy. We were in the sim together as new hires. He has a spotless record at this company. And our previous company also. This is not gonna go down the way the Orlando folks thought it would. They may have stepped in a pile here. This should let everyone here know what you are dealing with. This is how the average joe who goes to work everyday and does his job well is treated. This is dispicable, shame on BF or whoever made this call. I hope our union uses this outrage to bring our pilot group together. We need to support this guy. He's one of the good ones. Anyone know anyone who writes for the Orlando or Atlanta newspapers?

I hope that he wasn't ratted out by a fellow pilot. Mgmt people watching everyone would be bad enough. I do think a story in the AJC and OS would be in order.

First Officer xxxx was on his way to work at the time, and merely stopped by the event to drop off his family so they could enjoy a day at the circus.

This doesn't make any sense. If the FO wanted his family to enjoy a circus, he should have dropped them off at Airtran Headquarters!

Latest resources

Back