Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran FO suspended for dropping family off at circus in uniform...WTF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fantastic, to see the NPA go on the offensive. They need to keep it going, and keep the membership organized and engaged along with.

I'm not really surprised at the company's response, except, where the hell in the CBA does it say we can't wear our uniform going to and from work? Did I miss something?

Also, what "industry standard practice" are they talking about? AirTran is the only airline in the last decade that's take action against pilots in uniform, be it at informational picketing, or anything else.

Typical spin, but glad to see management playing catch-up this time instead of vice-versa.

If you guys don't start wearing clown suits to shareholder meetings, press functions, company functions etc, well, then you're missing a great opportunity!

Airtran's response,

ORLANDO, Fla., March 26 FL-AirTran-suspension

ORLANDO, Fla., March 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today issued the following statement regarding the suspension of a pilot and member of the National Pilots Association (NPA):

The NPA union leadership had the opportunity to avoid this suspension on several occasions, and they chose not to.

Someone explain the above statement. Did management make a demand on the union in return for dropping the suspension? What's the scoop?!

From the latest NPA email...is Mgmt trying to piss us off???

Fellow Pilots,
Yesterday, your NPA leadership was notified by the company that First Officer xxxxx xxxx was suspended for five days simply because he dropped off his kids at the recent Family Awareness Circus Event while wearing his uniform. First Officer xxxx was on his way to work at the time, and merely stopped by the event to drop off his family so they could enjoy a day at the circus. To the best of the NPA's knowledge, First Officer xxxx has had a spotless record during his tenure at AirTran Airways. Despite his record of faithful service to this airline, AirTran senior management made the decision to suspend this pilot merely to fire a shot across the NPA's bow in regards to wearing uniforms at union-sanctioned events. Your union finds this action by the company to be completely unacceptable.
What could AirTran senior management possibly hope to gain by taking this unwarranted action against a faithful employee? The answer is obvious. Management’s intent is clearly to intimidate our members and scare you into not taking part in union-sanctioned activities. Prior to issuing this suspension, senior management threatened the NPA with the possibility of a suspension if we refused to relinquish our right to wear our uniforms at union events and demonstrations. The NPA steadfastly refused to relinquish our rights, and management's retaliation was swift. Make no mistake, senior management understands clearly that our strength is in our unity, and intimidation and scare tactics aim to divide and conquer this pilot group. We must stand strong and unified, and refuse to allow these tactics to divide us.
As a union, we must always remember that an attack on one of our pilots is an attack on all of our pilots. Today the victim is First Officer xxxx, tomorrow the victim could be any one of you. Who will be the next pilot that senior management chooses to use as an example? The way to prevent this is to stand together and act as one unified group.
Rest assured, your NPA Board of Directors will use every resource at its disposal to defend this pilot and any other pilot that management chooses to attack in this manner. Your Board of Directors has unanimously decided to provide First Officer xxxx with flight pay loss to compensate for his lost pay due to this suspension. We will also vigorously pursue a grievance to strike this unwarranted blemish from his previously spotless employment record.
Remember, as union pilots, we must join together in common purpose and act as one unified group. We must defend our own. We must not back down to threats and intimidation tactics. We will not be intimidated. We will not be divided.
In Unity,
Your NPA Board of Directors

Reference the first post on this thread.

They were looking at their playbook and since it's 30 years old that was probably something they did back then Lear.

The way our profession has been heading over the last 8 years, wouldn't the Circus be the place to show up in a Airline Uniform?

There is a big difference between 9E and AAI.

9E management would NEVER try something like this. First and foremost, they lose almost all their termination battles, and have a bad habit of not staying one step ahead of the Association. They're a very REactive management group.

Second, 9E legal counsel hasn't been doing aviation but for the last 5 years or so, and although DW and BC have been around aviation for years, legal counsel wouldn't ever authorize that kind of attack. Weren't there like 50+ pilots that picketed on Nonconnah with a giant rat symbolizing management? None of those guys got tagged, and this was just a guy stopping by the circus with his kids before a trip...

The few termination cases at 9E in recent years either resulted in major 6-figure settlements or are the result of reactionary "knee-jerk" responses to limit their liability (CG up in TVC) which will likely be overturned in grievance. 9E, to my knowledge, never went after anyone in the union who "rocked the boat", even with me, as outspoken as I was about flight and duty issues, contract compliance, etc.

AAI's legal counsel is running the show, for the most part, and they've been doing nothing but airline union busting for over 30 years. They're good at it, but their playbook is old - they figure they will tie the person up in litigation for years, settle the cases, worst case have to reinstate the pilots later, and maybe intimidate enough pilots to sneak concessions through or, at the very least, limit AirTran's pilot's expectations for a new contract, thus paying for the settlements and keeping pilots under their thumb for years to come.

What they don't realize, just like during negotiations, is who makes up their pilot group. A larger and larger group of pilots are voting for change. They may not be as outspoken, but they're not going to tolerate this kind of treatment, nor are they going to sign for pay cuts or work rule give-aways.

It's ruthless, in a way 9E never was. Sure, 9E has kept their pilots contained for many years, but most other companies are doing the same thing as 9E, and none of them, that I can think of, would suspend their pilots for what AAI management tagged this guy for.

Last edited:
AirTran Management might be evil, but they are not stupid. Why are they continually trashing the contract and moving AirTran pilots to release and a possible strike? I think some in management believe they can get a release, impose a contract, and break the union. If that union is ALPA, think about the bragging rights at the country club. What a feather in your cap before retirement.

I believe that Senior management at Airtran is still relying on information provided by their stooges in the pilot group. Most of these folks are very senior and therefore provide a less than accurate portrayal of the anger that exists among the bottom 70% of the seniority list.

The fecklessness of the NPA over the last five years has further convinced them that AirTran pilots don't have the organization or courage to do anything but lay back and say "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

I would expect more aggressive behavior from the company after the ALPA vote is finalized. They believe that constant attacks on the new union while they attempt to organize will further weaken and demoralize the pilot group.

The current actions by the NPA president mark the first time the NPA has fired back in years. I hope that it is just the beginning of more aggressive action on the Unions part.

More aggressive actions on the part of the pilots will hopefully convince management to negotiate in good faith and avoid the train wreck that they seem to be heading for.

Latest resources

Back