• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran contract summary by section

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just want to add, Lear70 you're doing an awsome job for your fellow pilots. I hope that all of us have a person like you in our own ranks.

Thanks, Minime, I appreciate it. :)

Just a heads-up as you read through these: Section 4 and 20 were co-authored and, in all honesty, I haven't gone over Sec 20 with a fine-tooth comb yet to verify everything, especially the references to the "Sec 20 current book", so if you find an error, please let me know and I'll correct it. Otherwise, I'll get it edited tomorrow morning before I head in to work.

Thanks, and fly safe!

Lear, great job. Take a look at the requirement to provide a hotel room for scheduled/reassigned ground time. I think it's unchanged at 5 hours, both current book and new TA. In your info pack you say current book is 4 hours. You might take a look at that, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

some chicks are really hot in wet shirts ....not all though

chicken fight rematch in two weeks. game on! we may need new teammates. United FAs in BUF?

Great job Lear. You rock! I've read through Section 5.

Thanks, guys. Disregard the hotel section above, I had to edit it for content. This is the (hopefully) final version. Please contact me if you see any glaring errors. Thanks,,,

Section 20 - Hotels

This section can be referred to as a “Twinkie”. A Twinkie has no nutritional value; therefore its contribution to ending your hunger is fleeting and temporary. The same thing can be said for this section. The proposed Sec. 20 ver. 2.2 (authored by the original Hotel Committee) was expected to take at least one week to negotiate. The version in the current T/A (authored by the “new” Hotel Committee) was done via breakout group and took one day.

The NPA claimed that the entire new T.A. was a complete re-write when, in fact, it has been almost completely copied from the current CBA with changes to certain sections EXCEPT for Hotels. What you have here is a complete re-write that has the beginnings of some good things, but loopholes throughout that give the company carte blanche to often simply ignore them.

-A.1 – Missing section in new T.A. Removed (by accident or deliberate?) on “final” T.A. Originally contained the phrase “Affordable”. Why is that in there? Management could argue that NPA signed off on affordable hotels, so that means no more business level hotels. Where is the term “affordable” defined? Will it be back in the final we sign?

-A.2.a – Interior corridor, non-smoking, non-handicapped accessible rooms above the 1st floor. This is an improvement but has some obvious loopholes:
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]Interior corridor was not further defined to say, “not open to the atmospheric elements”. Vast knowledge of hotel layout and construction would have prevented this mistake. Ever been to the Comfort Inn – Hilton Head, S.C.? It is interior corridor, but those corridors are not enclosed, thus allowing humidity and insects into the room via the front door. Makes it much harder to control noise as well.
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]“Above ground floor” means floor #2. You are still subject to street level noise. Language stating upper 1/3 of all floors would take care of this. It is a cost neutral item because the hotel simply pre-blocks those higher rooms for the pilots the day before arrival.

- A.3.c. – 5 hours scheduled/rescheduled sits require a hotel room – same as current book. Wasn’t the 13 hour duty day and 4.5 average day supposed to REDUCE ground sits? Why, therefore, did we not obtain a better sit clause?

-A.5 – Gave up 12 hour delineation point for hotels 20-30 minutes away, now at 10:01 SCHEDULED or longer, Company can put you in a hotel that is 30 minutes away, and this is waivable to be a LONGER drive away by the Hotel Committee (A-6).

-A.6 – Waives A.4 and A.5 if the PILOT HOTEL COMMITTEE wants. Not the NPA BOD, just the committee, can waive your right to have a hotel on a ground sit or how far the hotel is away from the airport.

[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]Why would you put a Waiver Clause in something as critical as this? A committee may not always be staffed with experienced individuals and may in fact be loaded with pilots who will grant a waiver to management.

NOTE: Section B is missing COMPLETELY from the “Final” draft, skips to Section C

-C.1.b – The NPA agreed to let the company “mutually agree to” whether our hotel Committee Chairman is the direct liaison or not? Anyone remember who got fired a couple months ago and had their job reinstated recently?

-D.1 – Overall excellent improvements in language requiring the company to submit hotel information to the PHC in advance before they examine the hotel on-site, but nothing binding the company to choose a mutually agreeable hotel.

-D.1.a. – Allows the PHC to add two more hotels of our choosing to the table. However, does not bind Company into selecting one of these hotels, therefore effort is futile.

-D.2.b – Does not bind the Company into selecting a hotel that is “mutually acceptable” as is the case at Delta and United. Hasn’t the NPA been preaching “industry standard”?

-E.2.b – Free access is not mentioned here for business center facilities, just that they’ll be available.

-E.2.c – Needs to be re-worded to say that, “All hotel contracts will provide for free in-room wired or wireless high-speed internet access. If not free, then the Company will pre-pay the cost”. The way the T/A language written, if a hotel does not provide free internet access to its clients then that hotel could be eliminated on the spot. That means no more Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Embassy Suites, Renaissance, Westin, etc. which is what the polling data indicates pilots really want.

-E.2.d – Good quality workout facilities must be included…on-premises. Not requiring a walk of up to ¼ mile.

-E.2.e. – 100% ambiguous. Define “nearby”. Define “retail”. Does not require hotel to provide transportation to those venues, and by not defining “nearby”, could negate any gains in this paragraph. Who wants to walk ½ a mile to a mall in the Winter?

-E.2.i. – No mention of ban against rooms having a connecting door to an adjacent room. This is a priority security item and, in most casts, cost-neutral.

-E.2.k. – Another loophole allowing any or all of the above standards to be waived by just the Hotel Committee.

-E.3 - “Current hotel properties are ‘grandfathered from the above standards…” So we get absolutely NOTHING for the few gains in this section if we stay in the current properties.

-G.1.a. – Vans running every 30 minutes. This is what Ramada’s, Sleep Inn’s, Holiday Inn’s, and Comfort Inn’s do. Most Business level hotels run it every 15 or 20 minutes. A clause needs to be written in that if the hotel can not/will not meet this schedule, then the Company will pay for and utilize private transportation….just like United, Delta, American. Remember: “Industry Standard”, right?

-G.1.a – No language that says our crews will be taken directly to and from the hotel with no intermediate stops and/or waiting to pick up other passengers or other airline crew. This does not preclude other passengers and/or airline crews from riding with our crews; as long as such individual(s) are ready to depart when our crews are ready to depart.

-H.1 – Hotel in a “location” that has 2 restaurants does not mean, “on-premises”.

-H.2 – Here “location” is further redefined in the Company’s favor. Another “or” loophole. So if the hotel has no food “on-site”, then a pilot may have to walk up to ¼ mile in the rain, snow, at night, and/or in dangerous neighborhood just to get food.

-H.3 – “table side service” with “full waiter/waitress staff employed and available” and Q&A section says that a “Waffle House” is an allowable restaurant to satisfy this section.

-H.4 – So donuts in the MKE Sheraton Four Points is supposed to be in lieu of a traditional nutritious breakfast.

-H.5.– No lighting requirement mentioned if no restaurant on-property and you have to walk. A crew could start out down the path but get mugged and never make it to destination because it is unlit or improperly lit.

-I.2.a – Temporary lodging due to unavailability of regular hotel can exceed 20-30 minutes away with no max. Rest increased in the amount of 30 minutes each way.

-J.1 – Establishes a complaint reporting system.
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]Does not mandate an electronic or computerized system. Therefore Company could change it any time to some sort of antiquated paper system. Does not require the company to do anything about the complaints.

CURRENT SELF-
WALK PROCEDURES ARE NO LONGER AUTHORIZED!

Remember, all side-letters in our current CBA become null and void if this is ratified.​

Delta Airlines Section 5 hotel language (who our rates are being compared to), even in bankruptcy, has the following safety net statement: “This process is intended to result in the selection of mutually acceptable lodging accommodations.” United Airlines has managed to maintain their high quality business level hotels, even in bankruptcy, by mandating full service restaurants be located on hotel premises.

To sum it up, all you have to do is ask yourself the following question: Will this new language get the pilots out of the PHL Comfort Inn, or the IND Ramada Inn? This is the most basic test. If the answer is, “No”, then you have an unacceptable hotel section.

Last edited:
Section 14 - Training

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.A – General – Remains identical to current book, with 13.A.9 still in force:
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]13.A.9 – “All right seat flying accomplished by pilots holding a Captain bid WILL BE VOLUNTARY.”
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]You cannot be forced as a CA to fly right seat trips, even with the new scheduling language, due to this clause.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]You CAN be required to do the right seat training. This has not changed.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.B – Scheduling of Training – Remains identical to current book with the addition of 13.B.f
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]13.B.F – “Individuals assigned to training for an elapsed period of more than 25 days in a bid period shall of (have – typo) a minimum of 10 calendar days off in a 30 day bid period and 11 days off in a 31 day bid period.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Small exclusion of February – how many days off do you get?

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.C.1 – Addition of wording making sure the current practice of in-domicile training pilots don’t get deadheads is specifically listed. Also cuts off at the end and doesn’t finish its sentence – sloppy editing, no real ramifications I can see.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.D.1.a – Failure of IOE is now included in the Unsat and return to F/O upgrade paragraph.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.D.1.b – This rumor is absolutely true: a “not recommended for an upgrade event” also counts towards termination.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.D.2 – Same as above applies to transitioning pilots across equipment.

THIS IS A HUGE LOOPHOLE AND IS UNACCEPTABLE!
Remember, this isn’t any 3 events in a row, this is loosely enough interpreted to apply to 3 events OVER YOUR ENTIRE CAREER and you can be terminated without recourse !!!
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.D.4 – Withdrawal from Training section added, where a pilot withdrawing because of a family emergency or personal or family medical issue is not penalized as above (i.e. it is not considered a failure of the program and doesn’t count towards termination).

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.E – Consecutive Failures – This section is simply the poorest-written paragraph in the entire T.A. and sets a bad precedent anyway. It’s an addition from the current CBA and basically says if you keep failing checkrides EVERY time you go back for recurrent, 3 recurrents in a row, you can be terminated. This specifies one event each 6 months for CA’s, one event each 12 months for FO’s.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]13.F – Check airman – unchanged, current book.

Section 15 - Retirement

-15.A.1.d – Requires pilots to serve 1 year of active service before they can contribute anything into their 401(k). [FONT=&quot]5 year vesting point for company contributions.[/FONT]

-15.A.1.b – 401(k) match, dollar for dollar, up to 1% of your GROSS earnings beginning in January of 2008, 1.5% after January of 2009, 2% after January of 2010.

-Note: There is nowhere that says how often and out of what checks the 401(k) deductions are taken from, as the D.C. plan verbiage does. Small oversight, as current practice is acceptable.

-15.B – 10.5% D.C. “B-Fund” pension plan still in effect and remains largely unchanged.

-15.B.1.f and g – Addition of excellent language requiring the company to consider the pilot fully vested if he reaches mandatory retirement age, or becomes permanently disabled or dies. Becoming fully vested with loss of medical would have been helpful, but this is one of the few gains that doesn’t initially appear to have a concession built-in.

-15.B.1.i – Under the current CBA, the Association is supposed to administer the B-fund. Under the proposed T.A., the Company and Association maintain it jointly, with dispute resolution in place that is undefined.

Insurance after retirement:

This section is a complete concession in almost every way, as this T.A. guts company payments to only 12 months, then the retired employee reverts to COBRA rates. Additionally on the amendable date, the company co-pay disappears completely and the retired employee reverts to COBRA rates regardless of how long they’ve been retired or why.

-15.C.1 – Appears to be the same as current book until you read down to 15.C.4 and see that they only keep their existing insurance costs for 12 months or the amendable date of the T.A., then have to pay COBRA rates for their insurance. Current CBA is 5 years, period.

-15.C.2 – Allows a pilot who is forced to retire for medical reasons to keep their insurance for 5 years or until they reach mandatory retirement age, whichever is first, provided they have worked for the company for 5 years. This is a large loss for anyone who has to retire for medical reasons (Diabetes, etc), as the current CBA covers them “until the age of full Medicare benefits”.
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]Additionally, the premiums are only co-paid by the company for 12 months, then revert to COBRA rates. Under current book, they keep co-payment by the company for 12 months, then revert to the full rate the company pays, NOT COBRA.

-15.C.6 – A retiree may make a one-time selection of which HMO/PPO plan they want to be in.

This section has been gutted with NO apparent gain anywhere else in the section.
Pass benefits and employee discounts after Retirement are unchanged.

Last edited:
hey guys....floy just put out a crew message saying that anything for or against the contract cannot be put in the crew rooms or anything that is company property....and a threat to remove people from their trip that do not comply....i guess that they are gonna play hardball....

i say we get about 20 or so guys to get removed from their trips and see if they have enough reserves to do it and then see what happens....

also does this apply to the union....in other words, if i cant be in the crew room talking against the t/a, can they be in there speaking for it?

the time for unity is now....

Latest resources

Back