• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd let you buy a beer, too. :)

Section 6 - Filling of Vacancies and Displacements

No major changes

-----------------

Section 7 - Moving Expenses

Addition of 7.A.3 - a "virtual base" does not trigger any moving expenses either in its creation or deletion.

No other material changes.

Last edited:
Section 8 - Vacation

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.A.3 – and the Q&A section. A pilot may be Junior Assigned or extended in a day off that touches a pilot’s scheduled vacation. The only days considered to be your vacation are the actual vacation days as awarded.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.A.5 – If a pilot fails to bid for vacation, the company will award it working from December backwards until they find an open week.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.A.8 – All vacation bids will now be accomplished online.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.C.3.b – Now, instead of ALL vacation weeks being put up for bid, only 85% of them will be distributed evenly among all the weeks. This will result in 15% of the vacation periods not being biddable initially, and being deemed “floating”, and can be placed wherever the company wants. Result: 15% of 1,600 pilots is 240 vacation periods that will not be biddable, probably over holidays.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.F – Vacation pay increases by 1 hour per week of vacation to a total of 22 hours of flight pay (.14 hours per day) in January of 2008.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.H – Pilots electing to pick up open time during your vacation. No longer a guaranteed option, “if approved” language added, and it doesn’t say WHO must approve it.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.I – Flight pairings that fly into or out of your vacation period. Now 4 options:

[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Existing option 1: elect to fly your original trip. Vacation fly-through, must be approved exactly as currently done.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Existing option 2: fly up to the point your vacation begins or pick up your trip as soon as your vacation is over. Added language to get you back into or out of domicile to make the pairing work. If you request a certain pairing and they remove you from more than you wanted, they have to pay you the difference.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Existing option 3: elect to drop the entire pairing that touches your vacation. Not paid for anything that operates outside your vacation day, as per current book.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]NEW option 4: 3 day shift forward or backwards, of your vacation period, designed to encompass an entire trip one way or the other. NOT allowed to create a 2nd conflict then pick and choose from options 1-3 above.. NOT allowed to create a conflict during integration. If your normal vacation overlaps an integration period, Crew Planning MAY allow you to shift into the entire pairing to eliminate a conflict or chopped pairing.
§[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Note: Option 4 benefits mainly the company by getting YOU to solve the conflict for them with little or no benefit in additional days off or pay for you.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]8.J.7 – CAPTAINS ONLY – added section allows you to voluntarily postpone a week of the current year’s vacation into the following year.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Example: you’re saving up to go to the Greek Islands and you want a lot more time there than you’ll get this year. Postpone one of this year’s vacation periods, fly your normal trip at no extra pay, but take an extra week NEXT year for your big trip.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]F/O’s are not allowed this option.

Section 9 – Leaves of Absence

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sick Leave moved to Section 10

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]9.B.1.a – Now includes Step-parents, Step children, Step-Grandparents and Step-Grandchildren, as well as Step-brothers and Step-sisters for bereavement leave.

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]9.C.3 – Loss of 30 days to return to flying after early termination of pregnancy, unless a bona-fide medical reason exists for her to remain out.

Section 10 – Sick Leave

-10.A.1 – Sick pay accrues at 5 hours per month, maximum accrual of 550 hours.

-10.C.2 – During the first six months of employment, a new-hire pilot will accrue sick time, and may call in sick as needed, but will not be able to be reimbursed for sick calls.

-10.C.3 – Pilots who are injured on vacation may not slide their vacation to be paid for more time that they are absent due to the injury / illness.

-10.C.7 – “In questionable cases, or after 3 consecutive days of absence, the Director of Flying may request a doctor’s certificate in accordance with the procedures outlined in Section 16.

[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]A prescription for drugs and/or therapy which prohibits a Pilot from exercising his airman privileges under applicable FAR’s will satisfy this request.
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]Over-the-counter drugs are not listed, and likely would not count.
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]The NPA promised this would be addressed in the Q&A, and it is absolutely NOT addressed, and remains a HUGE problem.
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]Q&A C.7 – If I call in sick for a 3 or 4 day trip, will I have to provide a note from a Doctor? Answer: No, only if you call in for three consecutive TRIPS and only if the Company as reason to believe otherwise.
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]This Q&A is in direct conflict with the wording of 10.C.7, this WILL be a problem sooner rather than later.

-The Section 16 Doctor’s certificate is performed by a Doctor of the COMPANY’S CHOICE, paid for by the company.

-Section 16 does not cover what can happen if the Doctor says the pilot was fine to fly and had no reason to call in sick. The 3rd party mutually-agreed Doctor solution only applies if the Doctor finds the pilot is still unfit to continue flight duties.

-The Q&A in Section 16 also does not cover this issue.

-What happened to our PROMISE from Allen and the BOD that they would absolutely get this answered in the Q&A?

- Note: there is NO provision for the current Emergency Sick Bank. The NPA has stated those who were into their sick bank won't owe the money back, but that's not stated anywhere in this section, nor the Q&A's, nor anywhere else I can find.

Last edited:
Great job but you will kill yourself if you fly w/ my captain who thinks the TA is great. He is 10th year pay mid 40s who needs every penny to retire at 65. By the way if you are hired at Delta you can be back to ATL @6-8 months. The 737-800 pay is currently @75/hour the second year but according to the new hire kool-aid they are expecting mo money. I do not want to quit AAI either but if this is the new future/culture then I do not want to waste another day.

Any one know if the NPA guys are into their emergency banks? Are they forcing a crappy TA b/c they fear the merger and ALPA replacing them? Why can they not answer a simple question without mentioning pay rates.?

"
[FONT=&quot]4-T-1-a – Defines “Core” credit time as the 3-month look-back average from the same period of the preceding year."[/FONT]

My current company has something very simular to this and it is a BIG loss of pay. In my domicle, the average line loses 6 hrs pay a bid because of this. That right. 6 hrs pay. It is a bit higher in my base then others for many reasons but even company wide it is around 4 hrs of lost pay.. This is a HUGE concession. -Bean

Perhaps one of the things Airtran pilots could also do to help this situation is to talk to your upcoming buddies and educate them and encourage them not to apply at Airtran until a fair contract is achieved. No pilots, could have the potential to create staffing headaches for the company. May encourage them to negotiate in better faith.

This tactic has been used at the Regional level and has had some positive effects for the pilots at times. Sometimes companies do what they do because of supply and demand. Just a thought..

Perhaps one of the things Airtran pilots could also do to help this situation is to talk to your upcoming buddies and educate them and encourage them not to apply at Airtran until a fair contract is achieved. No pilots, could have the potential to create staffing headaches for the company. May encourage them to negotiate in better faith.

This tactic has been used at the Regional level and has had some positive effects for the pilots at times. Sometimes companies do what they do because of supply and demand. Just a thought..

I don't see this working, look at all the people lining up for skybus. We'll just go back to being a stepping stone airline again and I don't think mgmt cares, less longevity pay for them.

Latest resources

Back