Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran calling back more pilots!! Upgrades too!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, it's not.

Jest read the CBA and LOA 9 did not see anything about what aircraft recalled pilots must go to. Can you post what makes it illegal? I think they will recall what ever number of pilots it takes to get the 35 717 Fos. If there are 737 Fos within that 35 they will go back to the 73. This will allow more pilots back. Do we want to fight that? To clarify, it may take 40 recalls to get 35 717 Fos.

From the contract: "No pilot may be awarded, assigned, or displaced to a new assignment unless he is awarded, assigned or displaced as a result of the vacancy award process or displacement process contained in this Section."

So far, there has been no vacancy for 737 pilots. I don't know what the NPA thinks about it, but it certainly doesn't appear legal to me.

From the contract: "No pilot may be awarded, assigned, or displaced to a new assignment unless he is awarded, assigned or displaced as a result of the vacancy award process or displacement process contained in this Section."

So far, there has been no vacancy for 737 pilots. I don't know what the NPA thinks about it, but it certainly doesn't appear legal to me.

This is under Section 6
Filling of Vacancies and Displacements. We are talking recalls. Not trying to defend the company jest pointing out more ambiguous CBA language. Another reason pilots do not need to be writing the contract.

You're missing this important part:

1. A vacancy shall mean “an assignment in excess of the number of pilots already in that assignment or the creation of an assignment”. For the purposes of this Section, “assignment” means a pilot’s domicile, crew position, and equipment (such as ATL DC9 CAPT, or MCO 717 F/O, etc.).

2. All vacancies will be available for bid by all pilots in the system in accordance with this Section, and posted as a Vacancy Notice, except as expressly provided for in this Section:​

According to this language, these positions being filled by recalled pilots are "vacancies," and all vacancies are required to be eligible to bid by the entire pilot group. They can't magically create positions out of thin air and not let the rest of the group bid on them.

If management can get away with abrogating seniority on this recall, we will be letting the camel's nose under the tent. You want to bust a union? Just eliminate seniority rights. This would make it every man for himself. How would you like to see yourself a few years from now, depending on whether you are on the good boy list for upgrades and schedules?

As far as nothing being in the contract concerning recalls. The company already set the precedent with the previous recall. They issued a vacancy notice for 35 717 FO positions.

Latest resources

Back