• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran announces new service to Key West

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's still going to be pretty "sporty." Ask any of the Coasties that flew there regularly about the offshore breeze that switches to onshore breeze right over the fence. I experienced that once myself. At least the O 2 masks didn't drop.:rolleyes: :eek:

Sweet! Time to load up the dive gear and cash in some of my A+ Rewards!

Sure the hell beats flying into Miami and driving to the Keys.

Great job AirTran!

Flew the F-28 in and out of there long time ago, don't remember anything unusal, except some of the locals.

It's an experiment in diversity, to say the least.

I'm surprised that noone was doing MCO-EYW. I think there used to be.

I think ASA still goes down there from ATL...usually was the -700 out of ATL. Did the -200 with 40 seats a few times. I never got the chance. But it was a Capt only landing if I remember right...not sure about the takeoff......too many moons ago.

I always thought the taxi was the most challenging part of Key West. Those are some narrow taxiways, and there are only 3 turn ins to the ramp that will accomodate the 737...better hope Gulfstream did a good parking job so as not to block your way in! Also, going out past the GA ramp can be tight, especially when they park the King Air 300's right up against the grass.

Have fun!

stopping isnt the issue, like you mention those narrow taxiways and entrances are interesting.. ya asa still runs the 700 down there. used to be a nice old school type terminal.. they have a new terminal now, well an addition to the old one. too bad it was fun going into one of the few old florida terminals..

Air Wisconsin flew in there the last few winters in the CRJ-200, coming from and going to both MCO and FLL. 40-45 pax and bags to MCO was possible, if you didn't have an alternate and took every knot of headwind for takeoff into account...landing with a hair over 2000lb fuel.

ASA was flying CR7s to/from ATL at the time; talking to the ramp agents there they said the 700 could take 70 people between ATL & EYW all day long. Freedom was also doing MCO-EYW in a E145.

IIRC, wet runway landing numbers were the most restrictive...with Marathon as an alternate and Navy Key West as an emergency divert option.

Latest resources

Back