AirTran announces new service to Key West

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EYW grooved?

I lived there for a year. Those #*&^% chickens were hard to get used to. They start at about 3am and go on from there. After a while you kinda get used to it. It is a great place to visit. Living there is something else.

4801-foot runway? Should be interesting. The 727 would have better numbers because it's a 3-engine jet. I'd be surprised if a 737-700 wasn't seriously weight-restricted out of there, even just going to ATL.

I'm sure you meant to say the two engine jet would have bettr numbers.

Doing the ASR into there is gonna be fun with the Navy Key West Approach controllers, that cant figure out how to get you in. I love it when it gets a little cloudy there and they start having you hold because of the "volume of flights" THen Miami Center takes control and you get right in.

I would imagine AirTran is certified to conduct RNAV approaches and would therefore be able to fly the RNAV approaches to 9 or 27.

Originally Posted by CA1900
4801-foot runway? Should be interesting. The 727 would have better numbers because it's a 3-engine jet. I'd be surprised if a 737-700 wasn't seriously weight-restricted out of there, even just going to ATL.
I'm sure you meant to say the two engine jet would have bettr numbers.
No, he meant it the first time he said it, 'cause he's never flown the 727 and doesn't understand the aerodynamics. He's thinking 3 engines = more thrust = better performance numbers.

What he doesn't understand is that 3 old JT8D's weren't that much of an increase in thrust over 2 engines on the 737-700. Combine that with the 727 being the LAST of the "true" swept-wing commercial airliners, even a -100 was pretty runway critical with 4800 feet.

While the 727 was an awesome aircraft to do short-haul flights with lots of payload, it's not the best short-field performer ever made (the 737-300 and later are much better short field aircraft than the 727 ever was).

Even so, it's going to be right at the ragged edge of the aircraft's performance on a fairly regular basis. Hope that whoever gets those trips watches the weather and runway analysis pretty closely. Better safe than sorry...

Last edited:
I don't see what everyone is so concerned about. I mean you have all received short field training haven't you? Wasn't it done at the same time as international operations training?

No, he meant it the first time he said it, 'cause he's never flown the 727 and doesn't understand the aerodynamics. He's thinking 3 engines = more thrust = better performance numbers.

What he doesn't understand is that 3 old JT8D's weren't that much of an increase in thrust over 2 engines on the 737-700. Combine that with the 727 being the LAST of the "true" swept-wing commercial airliners, even a -100 was pretty runway critical with 4800 feet.

While the 727 was an awesome aircraft to do short-haul flights with lots of payload, it's not the best short-field performer ever made (the 737-300 and later are much better short field aircraft than the 727 ever was).

Even so, it's going to be right at the ragged edge of the aircraft's performance on a fairly regular basis. Hope that whoever gets those trips watches the weather and runway analysis pretty closely. Better safe than sorry...

Well sir I know what he meant I was trying to cut him some slack.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back