AirTran announces new service to Key West

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

AirTran Airways Announces New Service to Key West, Fla.

- Airline Will Bring Full-Sized Jets and Low Fares to Vacation Paradise -

• Press Release
  • Source: AirTran Airways
  • On Wednesday September 9, 2009, 7:00 am EDT
ORLANDO, Fla., Sept. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI - News), today announced plans to begin service to Key West, Fla., beginning on December 17, 2009. The airline will provide the only full-sized, commercial jet access to the island by using its Boeing 737-700s to fly nonstop from Orlando while offering same plane service from Atlanta.
This announcement marks the first time a major, low-cost carrier will provide scheduled service to the southernmost point in the United States.
"Key West is one of the destinations that is most requested by customers in our hometown of Orlando and across our network, " said Kevin Healy, senior vice president, marketing and planning for AirTran Airways. "We are thrilled to add the Conch Republic to the AirTran network."
Passengers from around AirTran Airways' network will be able to easily connect to Key West via the non-stop flight from Orlando or via direct, same plane service from Atlanta.
"Offering our passengers the ability to change planes only once from almost any point in our network to Key West is a real benefit," said Healy.
AirTran Airways offers more destinations from Orlando than any other airline, including other recently announced flights to Montego Bay, Jamaica, and Nassau, Bahamas.

Back in the 80's Eastern Airlines flew a 727-100 into Key West. 737-800...NO Problem.......

maybee now airtran mgmt will fire crews just for walking down Duval St in uniform.

4801-foot runway? Should be interesting. The 727 would have better numbers because it's a 3-engine jet. I'd be surprised if a 737-700 wasn't seriously weight-restricted out of there, even just going to ATL.

Doing the ASR into there is gonna be fun with the Navy Key West Approach controllers, that cant figure out how to get you in. I love it when it gets a little cloudy there and they start having you hold because of the "volume of flights" THen Miami Center takes control and you get right in.

4801-foot runway? Should be interesting. The 727 would have better numbers because it's a 3-engine jet. I'd be surprised if a 737-700 wasn't seriously weight-restricted out of there, even just going to ATL.

Look again. Direct flight out MCO. Same airplane with "stop" out of ATL. I think the 2 vs. 3 engine numbers are a bigger factor for climb gradients (obstacles at runway end, mountains). I am curious if we will be required to use full TO power and max landing autobrakes. I am sure a "memo" will provide us with all the pertinent safety information.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't realize it was just to MCO; that should mean a pretty light fuel load, which will definitely help!

Latest resources

Back