Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and their "500 PIC part 121" requirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The same argument could be made for DAL and FedEx requiring a college
degree. If you don't have the requirements go out and get them. If you can't then don't apply. Does it seem fair? Well that's all up for your own personal interpretation.

Rook

The upgrade on the DC-9 was very intense that I totally agree and thankfully I was part of it. Our class there were 12 and 10 made it and those 2 upgraded on the 717 one year later. And know when I came I did not have 500 hours turbine at least in a jet PIC. The bust rate on the DC-9 was very high at least 50%.

Yes the DC-9 had the old school of thought and allot of tribal knowledge from yes everyone knows what airline, but when you got typed you felt pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good(for one thing it was over).

The upgrades now the pass rate is very high I would say from talking to instructors and new captains the rate is in the 80's to 90's. It in my opoin does not have to do with pic time, but the whole program. Instructors, trng. aids and the pilots.
QUOTE=Pickle]-9 Capt said: "but the training here is intense, as anyone who had gone through. The DC-9 CAPT pass rate was less then 50% for a while.

The success rate has gone way up as of a few months ago, after a training manager left for Virgin USA."

I should say, that speaks more to the training department than the new hires or people upgrading.

While jumpseating to ATL in June the AAI capt who was kind enough to give me the ride and I were discussing training. He told me that Air Tran still had a 40% or so bust rate. But he put the "blame", as it were, on the instructors, not the pilots. Said there were some instructors from a certain (now defunct) airline that held to some very old school beliefs.[/QUOTE]

Swerpipe said:

-No dispatchers? Oh yeah I am the dispatcher

-No FAs Oh yeah I am the FA

-No janitor, oh yeah I am the janitor. Add on ramp agent, customer service rep, catering service and complaint hotline, cook, etc...

-No 121 regs? Oh yeah we have 135 that are sooooo different but I'm sure I couldn't learn 121, that would take a real genius
I think one of the things that Airtran is looking for with their 121 requirement is people who have experience working with dispatchers, FAs, ramp agents, customer service, catering and all the other jobs.

Yes, you do do those jobs and I know that in 135 it is a difficult world. Part 121 is about working with others to get the job done. In 135 if you want to add more fuel, you do. (generally) In 121, you need usually need dispatcher approval and sometimes they don't want to give it. How will you work that out? What if the 2nd FA is whining and complaining because he feels the 3rd FA "disrespected" him? How will you work that out?

I think the 121 requirement is so that you have had a chance to experience all these types of issues somewhere else. Airtran for whatever reason has decided they want to have the requirement - it's no different than any of the other requirements that exist these days. I don't have the 500 hours of 121 time - I wish I did but it's not the end of the world.

One thing I've realized in aviation is that those who complain about experience not being useful, don't have any.

iaflye

Maybe they are using the 500 hours Part 121 requirement as a back-door way to keep women and minority pilots out of Airtran. Given the low numbers of both in this industry, the 500 hours of Part 121 PIC could make it even more difficult for women and minorities to apply. I fly on Airtran 3 or 4 times a month, and I have never seen either in the cockpit.

sleepy said:
Maybe they are using the 500 hours Part 121 requirement as a back-door way to keep women and minority pilots out of Airtran. Given the low numbers of both in this industry, the 500 hours of Part 121 PIC could make it even more difficult for women and minorities to apply. I fly on Airtran 3 or 4 times a month, and I have never seen either in the cockpit.
Maybe they are using these requirements as a true equalizer for hiring. I get sick and tired of people beating the minority drum in any capacity, but especially in aviation. When you show up for an interview they shouldn't know if you are black or white, male or female. Your EXPERIENCE should matter, not the color of your skin or the fact that you are a female! Back when the majors were hiring, how many people did I get see passed up for someone with less than half of their experience for someone that fit into a nice little "category." (Note, I was still an FO, I am not talking about myself) Give me a break, earn something for yourself! What ever happened to being "judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin?" I really don't understand for one second how saying that they have specific TIME requirements can have any bearing on color or gender. That is unless of course you think that gender or color supersede real experience. Do not misunderstand me, I fly on a regular basis with minority and female pilots alike and enjoy it. The people I have flown with are great individuals and I hope that they have long and successful careers. I am in no way shape or form insinuating as some that pilots should all be white and male, which would get pretty boring. Some of my best crewmembers have been of the opposite sex or another race. However, statistically there will always be few minority and female pilots. For example, the Black population in the USA is around 10% of the total population. What percentage of the ENTIRE US population are certificated pilots? And from that number, what percentage are qualified to be airline pilots? That has to be an extremely small number. And to place artificial requirements on hiring, “10% of new hires have to be black” or something of the like is unrealistic not to mention unfair. The same goes for women because of how many women chose to be in aviation. There are some careers that more men than women will be drawn to, and vice versa. When was the last time that you heard a public outcry that there are not enough male nurses, or that that there should be more female auto mechanics? Or what if we applied “statistical equality” to college or professional sports instead of who is QUALIFIED to play. Or how often to you see protests at “Historically Black Colleges” because of the lack of diversity there? Can you imagine how soon Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would show up at any school that had in its literature “Historically White College?” It is funny how some people define “diversity.” Some how all white or all male is “bigoted, racist, ect..” but all black, female, etc.. is not. Also, the argument I guess is that someone was born “privileged” and if now we are artificially “privileged” it will make everything ok. Two wrongs making a right maybe?

If someone is purposely discriminated against, that is wrong no matter who is doing it. (I set this apart on purpose to make sure someone wasn’t too quick on the flame)

You have no choice in being born black, white, Korean, male or female, rich or poor. However, you can choose to educate yourself, get experience in your chosen field, and earn the respect of others and yourself. How does anyone ever come to respect themselves when everything in there life was not earned, but given to them because they were “disadvantaged?” Give me a break; did I go around complaining because my dad was a factory worker and not a United pilot? Did I complain that I paid for my ratings myself? No, in fact, I am glad that I had that situation because I appreciate everything that I have worked hard for. I know the value of hard work and have the satisfaction of knowing that if you set goals and really mean them, you can achieve a lot. And it is hard to stomach anyone reaching the same place because of an artificial advantage. Keep in mind, I put nepotism in the same boat as “preferential” hiring of any kind. Everyone should have to meet the same requirements.

I know that I probably just wasted a lot of typing, and someone will probably read something out of context and choose to flame. However, go back to the original quote and honestly ask yourself how having a TIME requirement is anything but an equalizer? Everyone knows what it takes, and can do something about that!

Yeah, but its not up to the recruiters. The government requires affirmative action. That's what women in aviation are there for. So their emlpoyer can check a box and stay out of trouble. I've flown with several females, and I can honestly say that checking a box is all they're good for.

Oakum_Boy said:
I've flown with several females, and I can honestly say that checking a box is all they're good for.
And I've flown with, trained and checked many females that could fly, think and make decisions FAR better than many males. Including yourself, I'm sure. You are a credit to your race, sex and creed. Thank you for holding up the bar and making all us males look so...well, male. :rolleyes:

sleepy said:
Sleepy, is that you? ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back