Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and their "500 PIC part 121" requirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know of only one airline that requires a type. Not sure who, but I am sure a search on this site I could find out. We require qualified or in my eyes more than qualified pilots, sex means nothing to airltran (at least for the hiring phase).

Like I mentioned earlier not sure if I agree with it but those are the requirements.

SWA/FO
How much did you have to pay to get your type at SWA. Then again maybe you didn't have to write a 7K check but many have. Ever heard about stones and glass houses? I normaly like and respect your posts, but not this time. You and I don't set the minimums at either of our airlines so lets not sit here and act as if we do. I have pleanty of friends who I would like to get hired here that don't have the full or even any 121 PIC. But I get very tired of the BS from those who have requierment that make no sense (SWA) and still feel all important to cast a shadow.

SWA/FO said:
Oh, great now you need 500 PIC 121 to work for AirTran? Next they will require a 25 dollar application fee and type ratings in the 717 & 737.
FLB, I think he was being sarcastic. I thought it was kinda funny.

sleepy said:
Maybe they are using the 500 hours Part 121 requirement as a back-door way to keep women and minority pilots out of Airtran. Given the low numbers of both in this industry, the 500 hours of Part 121 PIC could make it even more difficult for women and minorities to apply. I fly on Airtran 3 or 4 times a month, and I have never seen either in the cockpit.

Sorry to blow your theory to he11, there, Sleepy, but I have seen more minority and women pilots hired here SINCE they instituted the requirement than before.

And, to the rest of the people following this string- almost every airline you can anme has a corporate culture and most of the pilots that are hired there reflect that culture, whether it be Navy at Delta, Midwesterners at Midwest, 737-typed pilots at SWA, or bed-wetting interns at UAL. Apparently, our DO has decided for whatever reason that 121 PIC's seems to have the most success here as newhires and as uprading Captains, and in this market, he has been able to adjust the minimums to reflect that opinion.

Do I agree with it? No, I don't, but the way some of you guys respond to this requirement leaves little doubt that you wouldn't be happy here, anyway, so let's not worry about it. Have a nice day, OK?:rolleyes:

I see part 91 corporate guys with zero experience in type, passing the initial type ride(on any a/c) at flight safety, or simulfite on the first go as being some of the best candidates for initial training.

Having done both, I can tell you that there is a world of difference between 121 training and 142 training. At Flight Safety and Simuflite, you are the customer, and they are tasked with getting you through.

At a 121 airline, you are an employee, and the burden is on you to get through. Much, much more pressure. Plus, for a PArt 61 or 142 type, you only have to pass the required maneuvers. On a 121 ride, you have to do it in accordance with your company SOP's, FOM, and Ops Specs.

I've done 135 training at both of those facilities as well in accordance to company Ops Specs, FOM, and SOP's. I never felt too much pressure. Maybe it was because I actually studied.

The ironic thing is that I have friends that were ex-twa pilots (fo's)with over ten thousand hours of total time with tons of pic jet but were only fo's at the airline so they didnt get pic121 time.

It is actually the airlines loss on these guys that I know perosnally. They are some of the best pilots and people I know.

Airtran's requirement and SWA's requirement for PIC time (500 & 1000) are purely, as said before, a process to eliminate thousands more resume's from showing up at headquarters. The sad thing is, they are eliminating pilots that are already qualified in the 737NG, like myself for instance.

I did upgrade at my former employer, a regional 121 company, and accumulated 400 PIC Turbine. I was then offered another job, which I accepted flying the 737NG. So, here I am with over 1000 hours in the right seat of the 73, yet I'm "not qualified" to fly the same airplane for SWA...or Airtran. If these airlines think that training from scratch a BE 1900 Capt. versus throwing me in the seat to do what I already do everyday with ease, then it's their loss. Not saying that I DESERVE the job, I will say that I should be atleast able to be in the running. Unfortunatly, my resume would go straight to the shredder. It simply doesn't make any sense......I know that's the way it goes, I'm just throwing out an example of poor hiring practice.

I hear ya. It is a tough market, Air Tran and other companies can afford to call the shots. Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back