Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and their "500 PIC part 121" requirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Yip,

As far as insurance goes maybe you should call Geico.

When I was 135, we were trained to specific crewmember seat duties, checklist standars, etc...... What's your point.

Oh yea, unlike military, we didn't stay in the pattern all day long shooting landings.

Last edited:
DBCOOPER said:
Airtran's requirement and SWA's requirement for PIC time (500 & 1000) are purely, as said before, a process to eliminate thousands more resume's from showing up at headquarters. The sad thing is, they are eliminating pilots that are already qualified in the 737NG, like myself for instance.

I did upgrade at my former employer, a regional 121 company, and accumulated 400 PIC Turbine. I was then offered another job, which I accepted flying the 737NG. So, here I am with over 1000 hours in the right seat of the 73, yet I'm "not qualified" to fly the same airplane for SWA...or Airtran. If these airlines think that training from scratch a BE 1900 Capt. versus throwing me in the seat to do what I already do everyday with ease, then it's their loss. Not saying that I DESERVE the job, I will say that I should be at least able to be in the running. Unfortunatly, my resume would go straight to the shredder. It simply doesn't make any sense......I know that's the way it goes, I'm just throwing out an example of poor hiring practice.
DBCooper,

I know this doesn't help make you feel any better considering your time in the right seat of a 737, but like others have written before me, companies have placed a threshold of X to be considered and X+Y to be competitive for an interview considering the shear number of pilots to choose from in today's environment.

In the case of SWA, they require 1000 hours Turbine PIC as a min to apply. To them 1000 hours Turbine PIC is more important than having X hours in 737. Logging time in the right seat proves one is competent at your duties in the right seat and gives you the opportunity to watch, learn and grow before moving to the left seat. Logging PIC (whether in a B-1900, a C-5 or a 737) proves the ability to upgrade. Logging 1000 hours Turbine PIC gives the applicant time to see many situations (low fuel, bad weather, EPs, etc.) while in command, making decisions and honing skills (both flying and people) regarding those situations. Logging 1000 Turbine PIC is the min to apply at SWA, but it doesn't necessarily make one competitive to get an interview.

And while one may think SWA has poor hiring practices simply because they are not eligible to apply or they get turned down after an interview, you have to admit the company has been profitable for a long time (and hopefully will remain so for many years to come.) Sure some great people get turned down during an interview, and sure some folks get through the process, and others wonder "How did s/he get here?", but overall the SWA formula works for them.

SWA provides the same training to a a former BE-1900 pilot that they provide to a guy with 5000 hours in a 737. For them they don't care what you flew as long as you have 1000 Turbine PIC and meet their other mins. SWA interviews based on qualifications but hire for very different reasons. Being the most qualified and experienced pilot in the world may get you the interview, but it has little if anything to do with getting your foot in the door (and keeping it there.)

You may not agree with my comments, but I want to offer a different perspective. I hope you get the extra 600 hours Turbine PIC you need in the near future if you really want to be a part of SWA. And I hope you don't take my ramblings as a lecture as they weren't meant that way, but rather a way to clear up why they might do things differently. Trust me...it's not to keep DBCooper down.

Best Wishes in your endeavors.

Yahtz

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Yahtz

Last edited:
135fr8r said:
Oh yea, unlike military, we didn't stay in the pattern all day long shooting landings.
You're right - rarely do we military types go very far from the pattern. Maybe 12,000-13,000 miles, TOPS.

Last edited:
135fr8r said:
Hey Yip,

As far as insurance goes maybe you should call Geico.

When I was 135, we were trained to specific crewmember seat duties, checklist standars, etc...... What's your point.

You are nothing but a moron with that type of thinking!!!

They are hiring prospective Captains

This did not start with 500 121 PIC until after 9-11 when they became one of the only jobs in town. They could set any standards they wanted. Before 9-11 3000 TT would get you an interview, now I understand 5000 TT barely gets your foot in the door. Back to the 135 flight time, there are tons of very good 135 operators out there and there pilots are excellent pilots. However there are lots of 135 operators on the other end of the scale. 135 does not produce the uniform product like 121 and the miltary. Why do they do it, because they can.

Ty Webb said:
The training I did there (FSI and SImuflite) was for 135 PIC training . . . . FSI and Simuflite may have copies of your company's Ops Specs and checklists, but they do not try to build scenarios on your ride that require decisions based upon your company Ops Specs or SOP's.

Under 61 or 142, there are different ways to do the same thing. At most airlines, there is only one way- their way. If they say you will use "level change" instead of "altitude intervention" you better be using "level change", or it's wrong.

Also, unless things have really changed, FSI wasn't doing too much with the FMS boxes- while some of the "boxwork" I had to do on my 737NG ride would make your head spin.

Nobody is saying that 135 flying is easier . . . or harder. It's just a different set of "gotcha's", and I agree that we may not be getting the best suited pilots by sticking to 121 PIC's, but to say that a person who got a type in a new plane at FSI is a better candidate- well, that's about as silly as me saying that the best 135 guy would be a 121 Capt. . . . . :rolleyes:
I think FSI has changed as far as training with the "box". I don't know what type of aircraft you flew at FSI but the ones I fly require a great knowledge of the box. We shoot every approach with the box (expect ILS wish is required to fly by loc frequency). Most of our performace numbers are generated by the box. I think the the "box" was 75% of the training.

"If these airlines think that training from scratch a BE 1900 Capt. versus throwing me in the seat to do what I already do everyday with ease, then it's their loss."

As a 1900 captain....i always find myself at the bottom of the industry in these threads. Can't we use J-31 drivers or something as the bottom for the next few months to keep me sane?

Yahtzee,

You make points that I understand fully. I know that 1,000 PIC is a good thing to have. As far as being able to upgrade - dealing with bad weather, fuel, making sure alternates are legal, etc....I did that on a regular occasion as a Captain back in the Northeast. I also know that although I didn't stay long enough to accumulate the full 1,000, I could have flown a few months longer there....it wouldn't have made a bit of difference experience wise in the end. Hell, where I work now I should be logging PIC half the time anyway....watching some of these "Captains" I fly with:) I know a guy that started working for SWA recently. He had PIC 121 on a BE-1900, but only flying in Florida...mainly VFR, and no exposure to anything else. Don't get me wrong here, I'm very happy for him, but I just don't see why he should have a chance to work for SWA and someone like me doesn't. Like many others, I've flown all over the U.S., Canada, Trans-Pacific, and South Pacific. I've shown that I am capable of upgrading at a 121 Regional in the Northeast quadrant (probably one of the most challenging sectors to fly in) ---- I'm not trying to toot my own horn, b/c there are many with more qualifications than me i know, but the fact that I simply can not even apply is ludicrous. I'm just hoping that the upgrade at my current employer comes sometime soon, so that I can get my free 737 type .....and finish off the PIC requirement that way.

Gotta play the game in this industry I know, no matter how rediculous it can be sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving to all.........

Latest resources

Back