Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and their "500 PIC part 121" requirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Bra-

I'm with you buddy!! Good point!! I will no longer use BE-1900 aircraft as example, but definatly the J-31. I flew both, and the Beach is by far a nicer 19 seat turboprop!! The Jetstream is harder to fly though, that bucket of bolts was the most unstable airplane ever built I do believe.

YIP,

That's the whole point. 5000 hours doesn't get your foot in the door. 20000 hours for that matter doesn't get your foot in the door, unless you have 500 hours of 121 PIC and/or military time. Whether it began after 9/11 is irrelevant. It's in place today and it's wrong/unfair.

Speaking as a furloughed pilot who has been lucky enough to be hired at AirTran, let me say this...AirTran HAS hired pilots with less than 500 PIC turbine. I KNOW of at least one TWA and some USAir who fall into the category of "long-time" FO's with lost of 73 and/or 75/76 time who somehow found a way to get interviewed...and hired.

From what I have seen of AirTran's hiring process, they are still small enough for individual resumes to make it to the CP's desk in MCO where they ultimately decide who will interview. Bottom line...all of these guys had LOR from employees or met the AirTran HR people at a job fair or something.

Despite the PIC being listed as a "hard" requirement, it cannot be the case.

Many of these comments strike me as being rooted in ego. I left TWA for United in early 2000. When doing the UAL medical eval, I was in the waiting room with a separating F-16 guy from Luke AFB. When he asked where I currently worked (TWA), he went into a five minute tirade on how lame TWA was for not giving HIM an interview as he was overqualified etc. Then he finished by saying he wouldn't want to work there anyway and was glad to be at UAL where they appreciated his experience.

My gut tells me this: (now on my fourth airline job). If you really want to work at a particular company, make it happen. I'm at AirTran becauase I focused on it and I knew that was where I had the best shot at getting hired (I knew a lot of pilots there). Would I have liked to work at SWA or JetBlue? You bet? But I knew that my chances weren't good. (No 737 type, No A320 time, don't know anoybody at either company) EVERY company has their hiring process.

When I was first furoughed, no corporate operator would look at me because I wasn't "qualified and 135 current in ....." despite more than 2000 hours of Part 135 Citiation and King Air time in addition to my airline time. Fair enough.....and just move on.

Sorry for the rant...I rarely post.

Hey "capt"(spewed out like beer through my nose when I laugh too hard)_zman,

For someone who doesn't "give a hoot" about that 2nd rate airline, you sure have wasted a lot of people's time with your continual rants about how "unfair" their hiring minimums are.

No one really cares what you think. Least of all those at Air Tran. Go find another sand box to soil your diapers in.

Easy there big boy. Keep drinking your beer and coming up with really cool screen names and don't worry about me. I'll be just fine tough guy.

DBCOOPER,

Changing the SWA application process so more people can apply may make those people happy that they've applied and increase the number of apps on file, but it would most likely not change anything else. Even with 1000 Hours Turbine PIC and a 737 type rating as of today, one is not competitive for an interview at SWA. It is widely speculated SWA has between 5000 to 8000 applications on file at this time, but according to all the latest rumors, the min number at this time to make one competitive for an interview is at least 1500 Turbine PIC and a 737 type.

And while the amount of Turbine PIC time one needs for an interview may go down as the number of interviews increased, SWA has determined the min threshold to be 1000. IMO SWA most likely doesn't want to take on more apps in the meantime when those folks aren't competitive in their eyes. Doing would give people false hope.

By your reasoning (that you should be able to apply to SWA with 400 hours PIC since you're current and qualified in a 737NG), every USAF Reserve KC-10 co-pilot fresh out of pilot training should be able to apply to FedEx just because they are current on a DC-10, whether they meet FedEx's mins are not. That would be great news for a handful of AF Reserve co-pilots (some with less than 100 hours PIC in anything), but the fact remains they don't meet FedEx's mins unless they have 1000 PIC, a four year degree from an accredited college, and FE Written among other things.

The guy who flew BE-1900s in Florida has a chance to fly with SWA because he meet SWA mins, got an interview and successfully made it through the interview. And I'm guessing that in/around Florida, he flew near/around a lot of Thunderstorms...so while the weather may have been VFR for takeoff and landing, but I'm betting he got bounced all over the place logging that PIC. ;) I know the scariest flight I've ever had was in Florida at night around raging Thunderstorms, and I was nearly killed on a beautiful VFR day by a light twin, not talking or squawking while he blasted through Class C airspace completely oblivious to rules and other aircraft.

You're in a great place to get the type, it just depends on how long it will take you to upgrade to the left seat and start logging more PIC. Stay focused on the things you can impact...not the things you can't.

My apologies to the AirTran folks for posting SWA stuff on their thread. :(

Yahtz

Last edited:
Yahtzee,

Again, I see your point of view. To fulfill this Airtran thread, I am including my same views toward them as I do SWA.

It is amazing to me how things change so quickly. 4 years ago I was in the jumpseat of a dumpy old Airtran DC-9. I hit it off with the Capt. and F.O. and by the end of the flight the Capt. (also a checkairman and hiring board member) gave me his card and told me to call him later in the week to set me up with a job, not an interview, a job. At that time, my heart was set on Delta so I declined the offer from the Airtran Captain. This may have been the biggest mistake I ever made, looking back. At that time, I had around 1800 hours and nothing but right seat BE-1900 and JS-3200 time. Now I have around 4000 hours, a type rating and time as Captain in the JS-4100, and over 1000 hours in the 737NG. Now, I'm not "qualified" to work for them. I know, I know, I know.....the industry has changed, there are more pilots out there looking for jobs now, I understand all of that 100%. All I'm saying is that I don't understand why companies do not seem to realize that experience in the airplane they are hiring you into is not a good thing!! Keep the PIC requirement, that is a good thing as well....but how about something like....Mins= 1000 PIC and/or 1000 hours in type......take them both into account.

FedEx is screwing themselves by eliminating those KC-10 guys/gals. It's the same thing. I know a girl that was hired there not long ago, she barely made it through....she required alot of "extra attention" and she is still having trouble. Yes, she had 1500 hours of PIC, but she had always been a very weak pilot. I'll bet FedEx would have saved themselves alot of money/headaches by hiring someone that was already current and qualified in the airplane. It just doesn't make sense, that's all. Not saying it isn't fair here, It just doesn't make sense.

On Florida flying, I did it for a year. Thunderstorms, yes. That was fun, but flying in the Northeast was much more challenging in my opinion. I thought it was bad in Florida until I was shooting an approach into Buffalo one night during a strong snow storm, fog, strong gusty winds, with embedded thunderstorms in the area..flying an autopilotless Junkstream 32 with barely enough cockpit lighting to see the approach plate. (what a p.o.s. that was).....I think that diversity in flying experience is important. Once you fly in Florida, for instance, after a year or so you can handle the challenges that come with it with your eyes closed. "Ok, do you want to go left or right around the cells today?"

I don't want to sound bitter, I just think that airlines should give everyone a chance (within reason) on a case by case basis. UAL did it, Delta did it, Northwest did it, UsAirways did it.......I think those guys realized that there are plenty of Capt's out there with gobs of PIC time that are complete nincompoops (I know a few),while there are also many F/O's out there that are sharp, very capable and experienced pilots.

Side note: I see you went to UGA, I'm an Auburn guy. Were you at the game 2 weeks ago?

WAR EAGLE, BEAT THEM DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

capt_zman said:
Overall it's an easy solution for me, my family and I just choose not to fly AirTran.

The only "obvious" thing to me is that airtran is a 2nd rate airline "pretending" to be a 1st rate airline.
I'm very curious to your comments that I have quoted above. Honest answers... why will you and your family not fly AirTran, and what in your mind makes AirTran a "2nd rate airline pretending to be a 1st rate airline"?

Just curious.

FL717 said:
... why will you and your family not fly AirTran, and what in your mind makes AirTran a "2nd rate airline pretending to be a 1st rate airline"?

Just curious.

That's easy, 'cause they won't hire him.

kramden said:
From what I have seen of AirTran's hiring process, they are still small enough for individual resumes to make it to the CP's desk in MCO where they ultimately decide who will interview..

I think you meant the D.O., who is in MCO and reviews the resumes of the pilots the interview committee has selected. The Chief Pilot is in ATL and doesn;t really have anything to do with the interview candidate selection process.

To all the people complaining about the selection process- it is possible to meet the criteria for several companies, and not meet the criteria for others. That is just the fact of life. Focus on the things you can change. Pointless bitching is useless.

Latest resources

Back