Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and their "500 PIC part 121" requirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Honestly, my feelings toward Airtran have absolutely nothing to do with me being hired there or not. I have never applied in any way, shape or form. Believe or not, that is the truth.

Reasons why I do not fly Airtran:
1. Airtran does not compete well in my region of the country (northeast). Every quote I get, Airtran always has something wrong. Whether it's multiple connections, poor departure/arrival times, and/or price, when compared with the other airlines, it really is an easy choice. BTW, my choices of airports are both BOS and PVD.

2. I still have trouble with Airtran's lineage. I know it is a different airline with different mgmt/pilots/airplanes, but since I've never flown them, it still is a questionmark for me.

3. Throughout my aviation career, I have never settled for a job because it was the only thing out there. During the 90's, I made the choice not to work for a regional based upon a number of factors. Mostly because it just didn't work for me and my family. I'm not saying that it isn't a good career path, it just isn't for me. Airtran has never been, nor is it now, one of my top 5 choices in aviation. And just because they are one of the only games in town does not change my opinion.

4. Now with all this being said, I learn that Airtran's hiring requirements say that I must have been an AC in the military or a 121 PIC in order to apply. Now I look at this as saying, I've busted my a$$ getting to where I'm at and I feel that I've made the right choices, yet I can't even attempt to play the game if I wanted to. It's just wrong, not only for me and others in a similar situation as myself, but what about all the other people, especially furloughed people, who need "the only game in town" to survive? It's easy for pilots on the other side of the fence to say, "well it's just the way it is, quit bitchin." But what if you were the one looking in? It's hypocritical and/or insincere.

In lieu of #4, I still haven't heard a good argument as to why it is this way. I get flamed and called a child, but nobody has yet presented a logical presentation as to why corporate, charter and furloughed are excluded from Airtran. And because of this fact and the others presented, I can't put Airtran in the same category and class as some of the other airlines, hence the 2nd rate comment.

capt_zman said:
In lieu of #4, I still haven't heard a good argument as to why it is this way. I get flamed and called a child, but nobody has yet presented a logical presentation as to why corporate, charter and furloughed are excluded from Airtran. And because of this fact and the others presented, I can't put Airtran in the same category and class as some of the other airlines, hence the 2nd rate comment.
Thanks for the reply. I have not called any names here, and will in fact admit to you that I have absolutely no "logical presentation as to why corporate, charter and furloughed are excluded from Airtran". It is a complete mystery to me other than the old adage "management reserves the right to mismanage".

I currently disagree with our hiring standards, but then again they pay me to fly, not to manage. I also will admit that I may not have the "big picture" in our hiring scheme, whatever the he!! that picture is.

BTW - AirTran does in fact hire furloughees.... but they must resign their seniority number, which opens a whole new can of b!tch from some people on the forums around here.

Last edited:
capt_zman said:
nobody has yet presented a logical presentation as to why corporate, charter and furloughed are excluded from Airtran. And because of this fact and the others presented, I can't put Airtran in the same category and class as some of the other airlines, hence the 2nd rate comment.
The reason, once again, is because the Director of Operations knows (from past experiences) that AirTran has had better success upgrading pilots in 2-3 years if they have been an airline captain somewhere else. It saves the company time and money, and that's what he's concerned about. Sorry if it doesn't seem "logical" to you.

I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

Latest resources

Back