Airtran=alpa!!!! The Time Is Now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I say the NO ALPO is winning...

ALPA had done great things for other airlines--ASA=almost 6 years without contract, Mesa, USair/Amwest...

If people would spend half the time helping and getting involved with the union (educate yourself) that they spend complaining, things would be a little better.

We need more details on the police coming to the union hall. What happened?

I heard it was a domestic dispute between Ty Webb and -9Capt regarding Ty's affair with the ex NPA chairman Allen. Apparently -9Capt confronted Ty about the romance and then attacked him. The police arrived shortly and arrested both.

Rhino....

Obviously you misread my post. Everyone is so p1ssed because of this stupid LOA. Why? Because if kept a few training guys on property. Big friggen deal, most of them will be dead in a couple years anyways they are so old..... Im glad they signed the LOA and I support it. I'm glad the junior guys wont have to get fired and go through all the legal B.S. to get them back. However, guys like PCL-128 seem to think all those guys who might get furloughed hated the LOA.. EVERYONE I talked to who is on the chopping block is glad they aren't getting fired.... That is my point. The company would have fired every single one of those guys to prove a point. There is some battles that you choose to fight, and others that you don't. We need to pick our battles, this one wasn't worth firing 176 pilots in order to save the jobs of 15 or so training dept guys.... BTW.. Seems to me were not going to be getting rid of that many, especially with oil prices falling...

Rhino....

Obviously you misread my post. Everyone is so p1ssed because of this stupid LOA. Why? Because if kept a few training guys on property. Big friggen deal, most of them will be dead in a couple years anyways they are so old..... Im glad they signed the LOA and I support it. I'm glad the junior guys wont have to get fired and go through all the legal B.S. to get them back. However, guys like PCL-128 seem to think all those guys who might get furloughed hated the LOA.. EVERYONE I talked to who is on the chopping block is glad they aren't getting fired.... That is my point. The company would have fired every single one of those guys to prove a point. There is some battles that you choose to fight, and others that you don't. We need to pick our battles, this one wasn't worth firing 176 pilots in order to save the jobs of 15 or so training dept guys.... BTW.. Seems to me were not going to be getting rid of that many, especially with oil prices falling...

Let me try and explain this as simple as possible. This was not about keeping guys in the training dept from keeping their jobs. This is about management trying to circumvent the contract by threatening to fire the probies, and about how management is trying to LOA a new contract. This was a battle our union leadership should have fought. The company had no right to fire probies without just cause. It is written in the contract that way. The company is playing chess while our union in being threatened into checkers. Most of the guys I have talked to have said the opposite of what you are saying and yes they are on the chopping block. Have you been reading the NPA forum about short term LOA's and long term LOA's and about how they do not count towards the 177. I am sure that is not what the union had in mind when they agreed to all of this but here we are, management trying to screw the probies again. Is this acceptable to you? we are all in this together not just you. And by the way I am still on probation.

How did they circumvent the contract? Probationary pilots can be let go for any reason. Thats why they call them probationary. Just cause has nothing to do with it. They have every right in the world. I'm not saying I agree with it, because I don't. What I'm saying is the last contract has so many holes in it it allows for these kinds of things to happen. The company is not circumventing the cotract. They are simply using all the holes to their advantage. Again, I don't agree with it. But rememeber, its business. We could fight them, but I'm pretty sure the NPA would not win in court. This is why I say pick your battles. I will not vote for a contract that doesn't tie the knots in all the holes we currently operate under. Like I said before, look at AAI's contract and then look at AMR's, CAL's, DAL, etc. Their contracts are probably 4 times as thick as ours. So this kind of B.S. doesn't happen....
Capt. Kramer.... Notice how everything is still TBD... Gas prices are falling, and there may be some 717's from MEH available. The company slowed growth incredibly fast, they can increase growth incredibly fast as well. That is one thing I will say good about AAI managment. The have proven to be able to adapt the current operating environment very quickly. You can bet they have plans if oil drops back to $80 a barrel..

How did they circumvent the contract? Probationary pilots can be let go for any reason. Thats why they call them probationary. Just cause has nothing to do with it. They have every right in the world. I'm not saying I agree with it, because I don't. What I'm saying is the last contract has so many holes in it it allows for these kinds of things to happen. The company is not circumventing the cotract. They are simply using all the holes to their advantage. Again, I don't agree with it. But rememeber, its business. We could fight them, but I'm pretty sure the NPA would not win in court. This is why I say pick your battles. I will not vote for a contract that doesn't tie the knots in all the holes we currently operate under. Like I said before, look at AAI's contract and then look at AMR's, CAL's, DAL, etc. Their contracts are probably 4 times as thick as ours. So this kind of B.S. doesn't happen....
Capt. Kramer.... Notice how everything is still TBD... Gas prices are falling, and there may be some 717's from MEH available. The company slowed growth incredibly fast, they can increase growth incredibly fast as well. That is one thing I will say good about AAI managment. The have proven to be able to adapt the current operating environment very quickly. You can bet they have plans if oil drops back to $80 a barrel..

I guess you have not read the contract. There are only about 6 ways a pilot on the seniority list can be taken off. The only rights I do not have is if I am terminated for CAUSE, I can not use the union to try to get my job back.

Dude, you are a company Kool-aid drinkin mo'fo. I really wish I was drinkin what you are.

Last edited:
Alpa is not the answer. Killing apathy is. Get rid of company moles within your union. Don't elect people who give even the slightest hint, at consistently siding with the company. That should be your first step.

Trying to get Alpa on property is counterproductive at this stage of the game. It deviates from the goal at hand. The goal being, getting a fair contract for your pilots. Believe me, age 65 Prater will NOT do much better for you. You are only as strong as your local leaders and your pilot group's willingness to stand up.

Again, apathy is not your friend. Get informed, get involved and study your leaders before you elect them.

With tough Lorenzonesque leadership, company siding union officials can be your worst obstacle to a positive contract. That might be your problem. It's several companies' problem. You owe it to yourself, your family, and your fellow pilots to get rid of these individuals. If that's the case, look before you vote and quit voting for them!

Wether it's NPA, APA, or ALPA, the outcome will be the same if these basic issues are not dealt with. Therefore, working to improve your own union is more productive and efficient at achieving the real goal, a contract that is fair and equitable for your pilots. Don't get distracted from the goal at hand. It is exactly what management is counting on you doing!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back