• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717s to fly for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ding Ding! Winner, no better way to force a hand during negotiations than to threaten to pull the job out from under your feet.

I've been flinching for 8 years. Lil' flinchy....yeah.

I never thought any AT or SWA pilots would lose jobs over some sort of aircraft swap. SWA wants one type of plane, and DL needs a DC9 replacement. Sounds like a winner. I also never thought all 88 717s would or could come over in 1 day. I do believe this will eventually happen, and rumors all around Mecca are saying the MD88s and MD90s are all going to get glass cockpits to make it easier to MAYBE integrate the 717 into one category.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Flew a trip with the LCA at Delta that is the project manager for the glass upgrades to the 88/90 and 75/76. He's been working on the program for about 5 years. His opinion was that we have a bout a 90% chance of getting the 88/90s upgraded, and about a 65% chance on the 75/76. He didn't really have anything to say about the 717.

Flew a trip with the LCA at Delta that is the project manager for the glass upgrades to the 88/90 and 75/76. He's been working on the program for about 5 years. His opinion was that we have a bout a 90% chance of getting the 88/90s upgraded, and about a 65% chance on the 75/76. He didn't really have anything to say about the 717.

Someone on another forum said some of our mecahnics have been in 717 school for about a month. No idea if that is true or not.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Thats just not believable because mechanics don't go to school for a month to learn about a plane thats been out for 10 years.

New Tech like a 787 or A380, sure, they go to school.

The 717 training would be more of a handout or brochure.

Thats just not believable because mechanics don't go to school for a month to learn about a plane thats been out for 10 years.

New Tech like a 787 or A380, sure, they go to school.

The 717 training would be more of a handout or brochure.

I don't know about the mechanics, but from a cockpit standpoint, there are only three things that are the same from the DC-9. The nose wheel steering tiller, the boost pump switches, and the windshield. Everything else has changed. Even the control yokes are a different shape. How McD got a common type out of this is one for the ages.

I don't know about the mechanics, but from a cockpit standpoint, there are only three things that are the same from the DC-9. The nose wheel steering tiller, the boost pump switches, and the windshield. Everything else has changed. Even the control yokes are a different shape. How McD got a common type out of this is one for the ages.

Common type in name only. We did not have pilots who could fly the -9 and the 717 when both airplanes were on property. My license says DC-9, even though I have never flown a DC -9 -30. I'm assuming it's the same for the MD-80 series.

What I'm saying is, mechanics are not typed to a jet, they are A&P's able to work any jet. Training is only for the benefit of the company to ensure the guys know the in's and outs.

Latest resources

Back