• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717s to fly for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think this is a rumor. AT chief pilots office says announcement within 30 days...

This is completely false. Just checked chief pilot messages and nothing, nada. There may have been some watercooler talk from CP. But anyone who knows him knows he loves to float false info and see how long it takes to get back to him. Standard Air Force joke. Again, there is no official statement to this effect from our chief pilot's office. Move along, nothing to see here.

It seems like no one wants the pilots from these airplanes. Isn't this industry a bitch. As for what happens, there are still good Airtran pilots flying these airplanes and paying their bills. It always sucks when rumors upset the dinner conversation. There has been enough change going on in the industry that these sideways rumors hardly make anyone sleep better at night.

It's no rumor that Gary Kelley wants to accelerate the retirement of the 717's. The only question is, will it be closer to the lease expiration dates or something more dramatic. I detected a little whining in a previous post too. But the perception on our side is the integration is more seat of the pants, then planning and strategy. It's frustrating for us because transitioning effects things like vacation, pay (our "big checks" are on different dates), and eventually domicile. Speaking for myself I check the news and the message boards everday to see what SWA might be doing next that will impact my life.

But anyone who knows him knows he loves to float false info and see how long it takes to get back to him.

Nice leadership...yikes.

Despite the fact that Holly Hegeman put it out (she is wrong ALL the time), I totally buy this rumor. I do not believe AT pilots will go with the planes. It will not happen overnight. I actually think Gen Lee is right on this one...slow migration of aircraft. SWA cannot handle 2 versions of the same aircraft much less a whole other airframe.

AT pilots...you are on the SWA seniority list. I do not think that will change. Don't get spun up over this.

AT pilots...you are on the SWA seniority list. I do not think that will change. Don't get spun up over this.

Agreed. I think as 737s are delivered to SWA, then the 717s will migrate over 1 for 1. If it means AT guys get furloughed though I would hope none of us at Delta would celebrate that.

Nice leadership...yikes.

Despite the fact that Holly Hegeman put it out (she is wrong ALL the time), I totally buy this rumor. I do not believe AT pilots will go with the planes. It will not happen overnight. I actually think Gen Lee is right on this one...slow migration of aircraft. SWA cannot handle 2 versions of the same aircraft much less a whole other airframe.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner . . . . .

I don't think there is any question that with the delivery schedule, the 717 pilots will continue the transition to SWA, albeit it on the 737.

Btw, thanks to you, Texman and all the others who offer support. It is definitely appreciated.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner . . . . .

I don't think there is any question that with the delivery schedule, the 717 pilots will continue the transition to SWA, albeit it on the 737.

Btw, thanks to you, Texman and all the others who offer support. It is definitely appreciated.

I agree, it will be a plane swap plain and simple. I do not think SWA would have gone through all the bs to get SLI stuff done just to have it go away with the plane swap. If this is true about the swap, it did not happen overnight, so this would have been going on for awhile.

TY, get back to me about my PM

This is completely false. Just checked chief pilot messages and nothing, nada. There may have been some watercooler talk from CP. But anyone who knows him knows he loves to float false info and see how long it takes to get back to him. Standard Air Force joke. Again, there is no official statement to this effect from our chief pilot's office. Move along, nothing to see here.

He does have a somewhat dark sense of humor; He bid SWA 737 FO as a joke. The bid stood for months and then he pulled it at the last minute and changed it to 717 CA.

Don't get me wrong. He's a great guy and the best CP since I've been here. The levity that he puts into everything is great. Some people just don't know him very well and would likely mistake his sense of humor as a confirmation of this rumor.

My take:
-Maintainers are still postering and this may be meant for their ears.
-The people are more important than the planes. If this comes to fruition it will be a 1 for 1 swapdeal with Boeing/DAL/SWA.
-The "Tranformers" have a spot on our list and are SWA pilots just waiting for the ID.
-Shedding of employees is not SWA MO.
-All AT pilots I've met have been great guys and will fit in perfectly.
-From what I've heard at the GO/Trng Ctr SWA will have to figure out how to manage two A/C types; the 2nd one just may not be a B717.
-Fuel costs might be as much an issue as logistics on any B717 decision.

Latest resources

Back