• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airports you do not like

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand it to be the opposite...because the federally operated towers are not as easy to close on short notice, it's the contract towers that are all affected by the sequester, even though these towers are significantly cheaper to operate.

Getting rid of the contractors also makes it easier to replace them with government employees when it's time to re-open.

My home base will lose the 0000-0600 shift. Big deal. For the 15 years I've been here, it has been a cast of one, doing ATIS, ground, clearance, tower and approach/departure. Workload on this shift averages three movements.

Getting rid of the contractors also makes it easier to replace them with government employees when it's time to re-open.

My home base will lose the 0000-0600 shift. Big deal. For the 15 years I've been here, it has been a cast of one, doing ATIS, ground, clearance, tower and approach/departure. Workload on this shift averages three movements.

Too bad MRY isn't on the chopping block. Those controllers are ridiculous. I read back a full-route clearance to TEB using the names of the 15ish VORS that he had just given to me phonetically, and they asked me to repeat using phonetics because they weren't that familiar. It's never taken me so long to get a clearance. Painful...

Of all the towers closing I can think of one airport that has needed one to open for 20 years...DTS..jet traffic, beach traffic, weekend warrior traffic, all in the shadow of Elgin. It's an NTSB report just waiting to happen.

Ooh, yea. Forgot Truckee. Still haven't been to Telluride...missed out four days ago when the wind was too strong from the west.

And Gunfyter, I hope you're wrong too but SUN, BCT, and a handful of others SHOULD NOT have been on that list.

How about Naples without a tower in the winter? Intereseting runways adds to the excitement!

Narsaq, Greenland....lear 25 coming back form Luton flying for Ameristar.....end of this the tread .....I win!! :):).

The word I've heard at BCT is that local operators/entities are going to foot the bill themselves in order to keep the tower open - at least for now.

Nope... I did a missed approach there after an engine failure and then proceeded to Sondrestromfjord

Yikes! How long was the plane down for and how did you get home from there? I thought breaking down in Cedar City on Easter Sunday was a bad place/time to need a mechanic...

All you guys crying about KSUN without a tower......waaaaaaa. It's like you've never operated In and out of a non-towered airport. How much longer do you really think its going to take? 5...... 10 mins at the most? If that is the number that breaks your company..... Maybe it's time to find somewhere else to work. And from my experience in KSUN, it's not the "corporate cowboys" who are the problem. Maybe all the non radio taildraggers who think they own the airport are gonna have to learn the AIM and learn to share airspace!!!!!

Most days it will be fine. As Tbone said its the big events with a dozen jets waiting to depart and 1/2 dozen holding or trying to arrive that makes me worry.

Latest resources

Back