• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airports you do not like

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FO' REAL? This indeed will suck. It is dangerous enough as is.

Having the tower open didn't help me on one occasion some years ago. I had to push my inbound Ultra pretty close to the East slope to avoid an outbound King Air that apparently didn't want to get close to the West slope. He didn't deviate from his flat climbout or heading at all.

Having the tower open didn't help me on one occasion some years ago. I had to push my inbound Ultra pretty close to the East slope to avoid an outbound King Air that apparently didn't want to get close to the West slope. He didn't deviate from his flat climbout or heading at all.

The box canyon arrival departure procedure would need to be clarified. Cleared on course, terrain in sight with another arrival on 3 mile final without a tower?

In a way it leads me to believe that the tower will not be closed at all. This situation is extreme and it involves very powerful figures. It will be interesting to see what happens with tower funding at SUN.

All one can hope for is to not be directly involved while it is all hashed out.

How about best approaches: harbor visual into PWM on a nice day!
My favorite approaches involve local landmarks the controllers automatically think you can identify. To be fair, many are national landmarks nearly everyone knows, but I had a controller at DAL ask me to aim at "the mixmaster" and turn final. If the captain I was flying with wasn't from Dallas I'm pretty sure we'd have had no idea what he was talking about.

NYC is the same way, but I think most people know what the State of Liberty is and can find the Hudson using it.

I'd have no idea what the mix master was either, but perhaps that was the controllers way of suggesting his favorite nuddy bar! ;-)

My favorite approaches involve local landmarks the controllers automatically think you can identify. To be fair, many are national landmarks nearly everyone knows, but I had a controller at DAL ask me to aim at "the mixmaster" and turn final. If the captain I was flying with wasn't from Dallas I'm pretty sure we'd have had no idea what he was talking about.

NYC is the same way, but I think most people know what the State of Liberty is and can find the Hudson using it.

In the good old days, NY Approach would sometimes allow me to go down the North River (aka Hudson River) in my trusty Dornier and make a right turn at the Lady for a short final to RW 29 at EWR if conditions were right.

Then came the looong taxi to the E Terminal.

In the good old days, NY Approach would sometimes allow me to go down the North River (aka Hudson River) in my trusty Dornier and make a right turn at the Lady for a short final to RW 29 at EWR if conditions were right.

Similar to us going into LGA. Aim at the statue, follow the Hudson.

The fun part was departing EWR in the mighty 228 bound for BOS and taking the East River over the LGA tower cab, hit the Whitestone Bridge then up to BOS to park at North Cargo so we could grab a slice of pizza at Sabrarro in Terminal E.

The purple "P" was a good company. I loved the people I worked with but hated the people I worked for.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back