Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airports near ski resorts in the Northeast?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

Sorry if this question is a bit off topic for the board. I have access to a 172 and wanted to fly to airports within close proximity to ski resorts in the Northeast (particularly the states of Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire) to ski on my days off from work. I know that Bethel, Maine has an airport and a really good ski area along with Mount Snow in Vermont (West Dover Airport). But does anyone know of any other areas? Thank you.

Flightjock30 said:
Sorry if this question is a bit off topic for the board. I have access to a 172 and wanted to fly to airports within close proximity to ski resorts in the Northeast (particularly the states of Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire) to ski on my days off from work. I know that Bethel, Maine has an airport and a really good ski area along with Mount Snow in Vermont (West Dover Airport). But does anyone know of any other areas? Thank you.
Sugarloaf in Maine has an airstrip about 4 miles from the base lodge. Sugarloaf is a much bigger ski area than Sunday River, more varied terrain, much more vertical drop. Not much in the way of services at the airport ...ie, I think they plow the runway, but you're on your own for anything else.

You could probably get from RUT to killington pretty easy, I would guess that there is a shuttle from either the airport or downtown. Call the fbo and ask.

Seven Springs in Penn. has an airport on top of the mountian.

I do not know if it remains open year around though. Been about 10 years since I was there.

(In NH)

Give Laconia a shot, it's near Gunstock and they do take care of the runways in the winter. Plymouth is near Tenny mountain and Waterville but the runway is grass. Twin mountain is about 5 miles from Bretton woods and I'm not sure if they take care of the runway in the winter. Whitefield is also about a half hour from Cannon. The only downfall at all these places is that you probablly need a rental car to get to where you want to go.

A Squared said:
Sugarloaf in Maine has an airstrip about 4 miles from the base lodge. Sugarloaf is a much bigger ski area than Sunday River, more varied terrain, much more vertical drop. Not much in the way of services at the airport ...ie, I think they plow the runway, but you're on your own for anything else.

I'll second what A Squared said about Sugarloaf. I've been skiing there since I was like 5 years old. Really laid back kind of place with terrain to suit just about anybody. The airport is right in the valley below the mountain. Across the street there was a hotel called Judson's, not sure if it's still there, but you could definetly walk to it from the airport. The identifier is B21 and the ph. number for conditions is 207.237.3200

Enjoy the snow where ever you end up............

BankAccount=0$ said:
I'll second what A Squared said about Sugarloaf. I've been skiing there since I was like 5 years old. Really laid back kind of place with terrain to suit just about anybody. The airport is right in the valley below the mountain. Across the street there was a hotel called Judson's, not sure if it's still there, but you could definetly walk to it from the airport. The identifier is B21 and the ph. number for conditions is 207.237.3200

Enjoy the snow where ever you end up............

I'll tripple that. Sugarloaf has some good skiing. Bomb down narrow guage and yell at the old people to clear the way!!!!!!!!! Sunday River is really good too. I dont know about Mt. Abrams or Pleasant mountain anymore. Heck, you could even fly into Auburn, ME and go to Lost Valley! Small little place, but the night skiing is fun there as well. Lost Valley is about 15 min drive from the airport........like I said, you go faster down that up the mountain there though. In VT, you can land at Sugarbush and head over to Sugarbush North or South. I always liked "North" better though. Or even Stowe........great skiing there as well and thats close to Mad River too.

Rangeley-

Saddleback mountain. If you don't like saddleback. their lift tickets are really cheap you just ride over to sugarloaf.

Plus Rangeley has an NDB approach.

Be careful of the mountains. Friendly folks up there. (k8b0)

By the way the hotel is still there at Sugarloaf but either place will give you a ride to the airport or hotel.

I'm a snowmobiler so i can't add much to the skiing.

FYI sugarbush 0b7? airport is closed in the winter, with the exception of ski equipped planes with prior permission. The airport operates as a X country ski area in winter.

Guitar rocker said:
I dont know about Mt. Abrams or Pleasant mountain anymore.

Mt. Abrams is still open and has night skiing....also pretty close to Col. Dyke Field in Bethel. Pleasant Mountain is now called Shawnee Peak and is going strong. Sunday River is great -- over 100 trails and something like 6 peaks, and Col. Dyke Field is just down the street.

Latest resources

Back