Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airports near ski resorts in the Northeast?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd recomend not going into sugarloaf in anything other than clear and a million. I've got 10 years up there flying and know the dangers that the particular area can pose.

Amen to that, brother Diesel. But all those strips up there hold their own particular challenges. Not the best place in the world to practice your scudrunning techniques.
And look around "reeeeeaaaalllll well on your way in if it is VFR. Might not be so clear on your way out, and it sure would be nice to have a sense of the lay of the land.

try morrisville vermont stowe. The village and the mountains are real real close. Lotta mts near the airport, make sure u stick to the dept proc some

Pico is colse by

Crimson03 said:
You could probably get from RUT to killington pretty easy, I would guess that there is a shuttle from either the airport or downtown. Call the fbo and ask.

I have done that and Pico was very close.

Thanks a bunch guys for your informative replies! I will definitely depart very early in the AM to enjoy a day worth of skiing and be gone by 2 PM. I would not want to depart in the dusk or evening near mountainous terrain in a single.

send me a pm if you're headed to rangeley. I'll probably be around.

Check out the lift ticket prices at saddleback. They have really lowered them and put a couple of million into the whole place.

Also try Lake Placid, NY (KLKP) - home of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. Whiteface Mountain isn't far. Saranac Lake (KSLK) is another nearby option.

Crimson03 said:
You could probably get from RUT to killington pretty easy, I would guess that there is a shuttle from either the airport or downtown. Call the fbo and ask.
Don't know about a shuttle, I've always rented a car at RUT. Helps to take a couple of people to share expenses: Plane + Rental Car + Killington = $$$$. Great day of skiing though, I do it from NJ once a year or so. Depart RUT at dusk, back at N12 after dark.

I would check into flying into Bethel, Maine and spend the day at Sunday River. If you are looking for a cheaper, smaller mountain try Mt. Abrams a few miles down Rt 26 (eastbound). They offer 2 for 1 lift tix on Thursday and Friday.

Don't forget Mt. Snow, VT. (I forget the identifier.) I've only flown there in the summer though, so I don't know what the condition of the runway is typically in the winter time. Be really, really careful with the weather, as in all of New England.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back