Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kaman said:
Starcheck 321,
Not flaming you here, but I'm kinda curious where you shot an approach and landed when the RVR was reporting 800. Did I read that correctly? I'm curious if that was what your "flight visibilty" and if the tower was open when you pulled that stunt.
I also did some d^&bS$%T as a freight pilot, but nothing that would have got me violated. You are smart enough to know that part 91 is absolutely meaningless when it comes to landing after an instrument approach. Pushing the limits in the manner that you have admitted to doesn't necessarily elicit respect, but more like reflection of when I did stupid things in an airplane...So, again no flames, but think twice before you feel like you need to "push it" for absolutely notihng but bragging rights at the crashpad.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead that has lost more friends in aircraft than I care to admit

I understand your intent may not be to flame but I do detect a slight demeaning tone in your reply with comments like "when you pulled that stunt" and "at least you are smart enough to know". With your boundless experience sir, I'm sure you know that what the transmissometer says is not always 100% correct. I know 321 and I am sure that he would do nothing to put himself, his certificate, or the airplane at risk. I am also one to believe that I nor anyone else has the right to question another pilot's descision unless I am also sitting in the front seat.

Sgt.

This flashing red stuff is a bunch of crap. All the radars I have seen at Airnet only flash the magenta. Any pilot who flies through a radar shadow or anything flashing at them is just plain dumb.

Sarge,
My experience isn't boundless, but I've been flying either military or civilian for over 25 years. Including 4000 hours in Naval helicopters in the very demanding and not-so-forgiving "blue water operations" and "green ink" time. I was not demeaning, in fact I eluded to the fact that I did some real "delta sierras" as a 135 cargo guy myself. So, what I say stands.
I've actually flown AirNet routes carrying AirNet crap, so I can say that commencing an approach with a reported RVR of 800' is not only stupid, but landing if the visibility is below landing is STILL illegal. I don't give a hoot what the xmissiometer says. Nor will an FAA inspector. So, if this young man wants to demonstrate his total lack of judgement, lack of flight discipline, lack of maturity...Well, I hope that someone of a higher power watches over him. Because I have seen it happen before and I know it will again. Those types wind up...DEAD

FastestPA31Ever said:
And my account name is a joke, for those just waiting to come back with "your Chieftain isn't faster than my Lear 35/CRJ700/C208."

Man, I really hope your Chieftain is faster than my C208. I get passed by birds in climb and cruise. None of the other airnet props can hang with the van on an approach though.

Yea

Yea, I have a feeling that no matter what the visibility calls it is always a little higher - or much higher. Certainly no impressive feat when you have Cat III lighting like Indy does. Anyways, I was thinking about my post and the response it got, and I was wondering...to those who have recently transitioned to a regional jet - how much different/better is the radar system in the glass cockpit than the Bendix models that alot of the 20ish year old props we fly have? Is it basically all the same info, just more precise, or is it a whole different ballgame?

Not to bring this thread back onto the topic or anything.............

Airnet or Airlines?

Airnet would be my first choice, but then I'm biased since I used to work there. However the other side of the coin is seniority. If you get hired a regional now, your seniority would be better if you got hired now.

That said, there are too many pilots coming out of flight schools who have filled in the proper boxes in order to obtain their licenses and ratings. There's nothing wrong with that. Thats the way training has become these days. Cost is a big driver of that.

However, once you have the certificates you need the experience. It used to be a big Catch-22. How can I get a flying job to get experience if I don't have the hours? Like all of aviation it's a right-place, right-time deal.

Airnet provides the experience. As you can see some people have chosen to push limits within themselves and the airplane. That is experience. I'm not saying whether it is smart or not, but the more experience you have the easier it becomes to use that experience to apply judgement.

I've seen too many new-hires who will fly blindly into a bad situation where a more experienced pilot would do a 180. It's not because the new-hire wasn't smart, but because they had never been in a situation like that before and they wanted to see what would happen.

The question becomes, can you teach experience and judgement? Probably. Would you rather learn it on your own flying freight for Airnet, or would you rather take a chance learning in the limited simulator training provided by a regional airline, to be thrown out into the 121 environment flying passengers around?

One other thing to think about that hasn't been mentioned yet is the nonrev travel you get at a regional.

Not sure what the 135 freight indistury has, but most regionals are affiliated with at least 1 global network carrier.

In the past year or so, I or my family have been to Germany, Rome, St Thomas, Hawaii (twice) and lots of domestic spots.

I know a lot of junior FOs who spend more time non reving than I do.

See the world while you're young and single kinda thing.

Just something to add to the equation when making your decision.

No, I didn't fly the K-Max...I flew in the SH-2F "Seasprite" although you'll rarely hear it referred to as such. They were operated off of "small boys" (FFs, DDs, etc...) to conduct ASW/ASST missions. The Navy decommisioned the last of the fleet HSL squadrons in the early 90s.
As far as RADARs are concerned, I flew a Seneca II that had an older Bendix monochrome that worked very well. After moving onto the Beech we had a Collins color wx set that worked pretty well, but I prefer the older monochrome myself. I operated an old 1950ish LN-66HP "Tuna Boat" RADAR in the SH-2F, so I grew accustomed to that type of presentation. I have really benefited from my previous life as a "sub chaser" operating various avionics/sensor sytems and has made adjusting to the CL-65 a little easier. Same idea, just differnent menus, but a CDU is a CDU.
Personally, I had more fun flying freight than doing the airline thing. But there was no way I could have done that long-term. We are all trying to make a living and enjoy what time off that we have. Those of you that haven't yet done the 121 thing will quickly realize that FAA oversight is MUCH more intense than 135, especially cargo. So, not alot of room for the "Cowboy Way"...Not to say that we didn't do a "little" of that in the Mighty Beech 1900...Might not look like much, but it's a helluva good airplane.

Regards,
ex-Navy Rotorhead

Do Both-if You Have To

To the original poster,

I worked at Airnet for a little while. I liked the job. I had a 13 hr duty day and worked 5 days a week, on a run that started at 11:30 am till 1am in the morning or later most nights. I was making nearly $38,000. I learned a great deal and the experience made me a better pilot.

But-I would never choose that job again. There is something to be said for the adventure of it, but it is a dangerous job no if and's or buts. It will also burn you out. You have no time to socialize, get home, and you will have to move for this job. By the time you are done with a five day run you are just recovering on the weekend.

I now work at CHQ. I live where I'm based. I choose reserve to get the days off that I want and have great QOL. I did take a large paycut (for now), but I earned every penny at Airnet and probably a few more. Don't chase the money, do what comes natural to you and the rest will follow. Airnet is a great company, but it is not for everyone. I do miss the freedom of my own little "ship", and a few other things, but I am much happier with my current job.

As for Airnet and its training contract. Don't worry about it. It is uninforable. If you don't like a job just move on, you won't hurt their feelings that is business, and just have them try and come after you. I had them forward all correspondance to a lawyer and never heard a word from them about the contract.

I'm not saying that is right or wrong but I had to leave. I was not happy with the job and found a way out. So the moral of my post, do what makes you happy. If you are young and single and low time, Airnet is great. If you have family obligations like me, maybe its not the right choice.

Latest resources

Back