Airnet Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BoilerBacker said:
AirNet work? Sure it is. But as mentioned, it can be alot of fun. Taking off in freezing rain bragging? No, but it can be done safely when done properly.

I need to know more about how to safely take off in freezing rain. This tidbit was left out of my education.

c'mon now...one mans freezing rain is another mans light drizzle :)

boxcar said:
I need to know more about how to safely take off in freezing rain. This tidbit was left out of my education.

Ah, how quickly I am reminded of the sarcastic comments, with regards to posts that were meant to be helpful, that led me to quit posting here a few months ago.

However, aparently I need to clarify/explain my comment. There obviously is a time to go and a time not to. But then again, that is the big decision and a decsion that should not be made lightly without taking many things into consideration. How severe is the freezing rain, what are the visibility and ceiling conditions, what is it going to take to return to land should the icing be more severe than expected... an ILS down to mins, simply stay in the pattern, etc. Assuming that I decided to go, here are a few things I would keep in mind. First, flying at night I have always been very fortunate that I rarely have to wait to depart. So, if needed I would get deiced at the last possible moment prior to taxi noting the holdover time for the fluid used and conditions present. Immediately prior to departure I would do one last inspection of the exterior of the aircraft (flying smaller aircraft gives me the luxury of being able to see both wings entirely) or have someone on the ground do it for me. If surfaces are still clean... depart. If not, possibly get deiced again at the end of the runway if possible or go back and wait it out. On climb out I would keep in mind that I want to climb as rapidly as possible (since the freezing rain is indicative of a temp inversion and I want to get up where the rain is not freezing) while keeping my airspeed ABOVE the minimum recommended airspeed for icing conditions (don't want that ice forming on the bottom of the wings.) The whole process requires constant attention to possible changing conditions and what is occuring around you.

I am by NO MEANS encouraging anyone to go out and depart/fly in freezing rain. But, on the other hand, just because someone mentions ice or freezing rain does not necessarilly mean you have to park the plane. Let's face it, flying an airplane is not that difficult. It is the decision making and responsibility we assume that we are really paid for.... not to mention getting our freight/passengers to the destination SAFELY and ON TIME whenever possible.

This is only meant to in some small way explain/defend my previous statement. It is NOT meant to an all inclusive "Flying in Icing according to Boilerbacker." There are exceptions to everything and I have also probably left out some things. But, it has been a long night at the end of a long week.

Have a great weekend
Boilerbacker

Great post Boiler. Enjoy your weekend too.

Finally someone who got it right. And the point of persective is very important when talking WX. Nice work, one for the freight Dogs!

A36DRIVER said:
Finally someone who got it right. And the point of persective is very important when talking WX. Nice work, one for the freight Dogs!

When you're taxiing out in freezing rain, do you ever wonder why the 121 folks aren't moving? After all, there's nothing in standard 121 op specs that mentions freezing rain, and 121 operators observe the same regulatory restrictions as do 135 operators. Is it because they're all chicken sh#t? Less experience in weather? Less anti-ice/deice equipment? Less understanding of the effects of icing? Airplanes with poor power to weight ratio? Or, heaven forbid, could it possibly be you who can answer yes to all the above? (The chicken sh#t part applying to your fear of ridicule by your peers and/or management).

Training

Who does the training at AirNet?

I was able to get the phone interview, but seeing I only had a green card, Bob told me I couldn't be trained at Flight Safety because of the new rules. So, there went the opportunity

I was so distraught, that I just said thanks anyway and that was the end. However, after I hung up, I started thinking, what about the twins? Does flight safety do their training too?

He also mentioned something about the non-US citizen policy changing in the near future, anyone have any info on this?

I really really want to go to AirNet please help me

If you knew anything about our company, Boxcar, you would know that issues with management and/or peers do not exist when it comes to safety. If I don't feel comfortable flying, I don't. If I have to bump work, I do. There's never any ridicule or even discussion involved. The decision is mine.

And as I type this I find myself wondering why I'm defending myself to people who weren't there and more importantly...were not the PIC...I was.

Have a nice day...and try understanding something before you criticize it.

Training

Dear Riddle Momma,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. In spite of the ongoing debate over icing and now apparently wise passenger carrying pilots verses ignorant Freight Dogs in this thread, AirNet is a pretty decent place to work. The problem for people currently in your position is, the Barons, 310s, Chieftains, and Caravans are all pretty much treated equally. You are either a "prop" pilot or a Lear pilot at AirNet. In initial training, everyone gets qualified in the Baron. Once you pass your Baron checkride your then get checked out in other planes. Which planes you get checked out in is determined by which run you will be flying. You are just as likely to be flying a Caravan directly out of training as you are a Baron. Therefore, it would not be very prudent at this time to hire people who were not able to be trained in the Caravan. This problem not only affects new hires but has also been an issue for several guys who have been with the company for several years but cannot get trained in the Lear at this time because of citizenship issues. We can only hope that this problem will be resolved as quickly as possible.

In the mean time, good luck and fly safe.
Boilerbacker

Latest resources

Back