Airnet Hopefull

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
50pilot said:
Good positive attitude! That's what you need to do that job! I did it! Good luck!

???

Not saying I wasn't positive. Just a little disapointed. I just finished my year end taxes. About 13,000 this year. I live in the most expensive part of California. This would have been a good thing for me. Now I'm waiting for the letter with the rembursment for my airline ticket.

Probably none of my business but I'm sure it would help out a lot of folks here if you guys could elaborate on why Airnet would not hire you right away.
What's the possibility of many disgruntled regional airline guys swamping airnet with higher qualification resumes in their rush to get out of the regionals?

What's the possibility of many disgruntled regional airline guys swamping airnet with higher qualification resumes in their rush to get out of the regionals?

if by higher qualifications you mean "did zero handflying in a glass cockpit the last two years and would never make it out of training"....no, i don't think we get many apps from disgruntled airline guys. But it would be fun to watch them crash repeatedly in the sim.

G007

Amazing the stuff I learn asking certain questions. How 'bout these glass cockpits? Why would someone be O.K. with letting the plane always fly its' own approaches. I can hardly stand the lack of flying as a CFI. Honestly, do pilots really let their IMC hand flying go to schit by always using auto pilot? I don't know if I believe that. Why would there be more of a tendency to fly auto pilot with a glass cockpit as opposed to auto pilot flying GPS approaches in a standard cockpit?:confused:

mcjohn...I hand flew EVERY approach during my 5 and 1/2 years with Airnet, and i was glad i did(except for the required coupled approaches during checkrides). I got pretty good at it, and it really isn't that hard. Sure flying down to 100vv and 1800 RVR sounds pretty hard when you are still young to the industry, but after you do it a few hundred times it sems a little easier...not saying it is a walk in the park or anything, but it does become easier. Now i am learning how when the weather is below a certain RVR or ceiling that i MUST use the autopilot to fly the approach, and even use the autoland if it goes a little further down. What this means is that i will probably never hand fly a really low approach again, dissapointing yes, but i MUST fly the way the company tells me to. I kinda fear that my experience flying those kind of approaches is going to go downhill pretty quick, and that really is something i wish i didn't have to do...but again, I fly the way they tell me to, just like i flew the way Airnet taught me to while i was there.

Guillotine007 said:
if by higher qualifications you mean "did zero handflying in a glass cockpit the last two years and would never make it out of training"....no, i don't think we get many apps from disgruntled airline guys. But it would be fun to watch them crash repeatedly in the sim.

G007

We do more hand flying than you think.

Well, I can't speak for airnet or their hiring process. There's no HR interview at FLX. If you can fly the sim, learn the ground school stuff, and fly the airplane (and you aren't obviously a complete jerk), you're hired (my impression anyway). As far as I can tell, the pay is as good as airnet, perhaps better at the start, and although of course you spend 6-8 months on the 210 before you're logging twin time, you work with a good bunch of people and there's a minimum of BS involved. Something to think about anyway. If you're interested give Gary a call (1800OPSKORL ext 610) Good luck.

Boris

Guillotine007 said:
based on your profile...i politefully disagree

Not to get into an argument, but if you aren't a regional pilot then how would you know? What amazes me is you see that I am currently flying a CRJ and assume that I'm incapable of the flying that AirNet does. I have flown single pilot part 135 freight in a twin, and of course hand flying was a part of the job. But if you think that because some regional pilots are flying advanced equipment with automation, they couldn't hand-fly an approach in a piston airplane to save their lives, you would be mistaken. Many regional pilots came from what you are doing now, if not another flying job that requires manual flying. If it makes you feel cool to think that your piloting skills as a cargo pilot are superior to other pilots, then more power to you. It just might not be an accurate thought.

Last edited:
I don't want to get into the middle of your pi$$ing contest here guys, but i kinda have to agree with 007...yeah i said it, i have to agree with him, god help me.:laugh:

As a new bus pilot, sorry not a regional pilot, but a little bit bigger, i must say i do not think after flying this way for awhile i would even try a super low appraoch on my own in ANY aircraft. Sure, i might still be able to do it, but the recency will be shot, and my abilities would probably be much less than someone who is doing it every night. So, i must say that yes, the freight dog would most likely be able to fly circles around a glass guy who lets his a/c do most of the flying for him(and yes this includes me now...the a/c doing the flying part at least).

Latest resources

Back