Airlining to and from work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HSDriver said:
My point is mute? I would bet that your badge said the name of the airline that you worked for on it didn't it?

You refuse to have to check your bag? LOL

Since I never had to until right after 9/11? HA ha... News flash!

So, let me get this straight. Anybody with a badge that says aircrew and a uniform can carry on the prohibited items? Boy are we in trouble.

I hope, and I think it is a possibility, that in the not too distant future there will be NO carry on's allowed at all and it would just be fine with me. Think how fast the boarding process and getting thru security would be would be:0)

Regards,

HS

Your point is still mute, yea, my badge did say the name of the airline on it, just as it does now, insted it says Netjets now, so what is your point, your company is so cheap that they won't put their name on your crew badges?

And yes I still refuse to check my bag, when they decide that it is illegal to search through someones personal property with out them being there, then maybe I would be willing to check a bag, but that will never happen, the bush admin. has decided that the constitution is not worth the paper it was written on, so we do not have any rights any more. And I have no desire to have to wait 40-50 min. for my bag to come through on the belt.

One point that you have missed about the frac world is that if you check your bag as you want to do, there is always the chance that once you arive at your HUB or connectiong airport that you might get a brief to a new destination, but guess what, those bags that you just checked are on their way to the other side of the country, good luck catching up with them, have seen this happen many times with crews that check their bags

I have no problem making it quick through security, don't know why it takes you soo long? Good luck in thinking that they will ban all carry on's, not in my life time, if that happens, the demand for air travel will hit rock bottom, most people would rather drive than have to deal with all of the hassles at that point

And for the guys that want a copy of the TSA directive, I don't have a scanner, you will have to get one like I did, go to your local airport, ask to see the TSA supervisor on duty, and ask them for a copy to carry with you.

A few points for you, Batsky:

You give your consent for them to search your bag when you fly. Nothing in the Constitution prevents that. No different from the "implied consent" at a DUI checkpoint.

Furthermore, would you really want there to be no checks on checked baggage? If you were President would you eliminate all of the checks?

I believe I heard that the Brits have banned checked baggage. (Someone might back me up on that.) Rock bottom? Maybe a lull, but not a bust. The flying public would suck it up and comply like they've already done.

batsky2000 said:
Your point is still mute, yea, my badge did say the name of the airline on it, just as it does now, insted it says Netjets now, so what is your point, your company is so cheap that they won't put their name on your crew badges?

And yes I still refuse to check my bag, when they decide that it is illegal to search through someones personal property with out them being there, then maybe I would be willing to check a bag, but that will never happen, the bush admin. has decided that the constitution is not worth the paper it was written on, so we do not have any rights any more. And I have no desire to have to wait 40-50 min. for my bag to come through on the belt.

One point that you have missed about the frac world is that if you check your bag as you want to do, there is always the chance that once you arive at your HUB or connectiong airport that you might get a brief to a new destination, but guess what, those bags that you just checked are on their way to the other side of the country, good luck catching up with them, have seen this happen many times with crews that check their bags

I have no problem making it quick through security, don't know why it takes you soo long? Good luck in thinking that they will ban all carry on's, not in my life time, if that happens, the demand for air travel will hit rock bottom, most people would rather drive than have to deal with all of the hassles at that point

And for the guys that want a copy of the TSA directive, I don't have a scanner, you will have to get one like I did, go to your local airport, ask to see the TSA supervisor on duty, and ask them for a copy to carry with you.
Thanks for making my point about the badge. And yes, my company does put the name on the badge and guess what? It is not an airline. So, I am not an airline crew member. Which terminal does Net Jets operate out of? I suspect it is the General Aviation terminal.

I didn't miss any point about the fracs. Do you think you are the only traveler that needs their baggage when they get to their destination and that may have to go somewhere else in a hurry?

When did I say it takes me "sooo long" to get thru security? I just said it would be quicker. I believe if you read my previous posts in other threads here you will find out that I never have any problem getting thru security and also never wear my uniform(because I am not an airline crewmember).

Ok, I'm done here. Good luck.

HS

Last edited:
I'm going to continue to carry my bag, liquids and all, onto the aicraft til someone tells me I can't. Hasn't happened yet.

Regarding the point that anyone could buy a pilot's uniform and make a fake badge - yes, that's true. How would it be any more difficult to copy a 121 carrier's than a 135 carrier's uniform/badge? So subjecting frac pilots to different rules than 121 helps how, exactly?

Im wondering the same thing here....

TSA Tsusk

Part 121, 135, 90 or whatever.
Do you even think the TSA know the difference, can tell you apart or even care?:confused:

EdAtTheAirport said:
Hey AZ: Sorry if I didn't make it clearer that that UPS pilot story was on the "majors" board, which I copy/pasted. It wasn't me. I was just pointing out that some TSA personnel are so ignorant that even UPS isn't considered a commercial airline. Imagine.

As for carry-ons, one of the biggest problems, especially if you pack electronic gear is theft. I worked as a baggage thrower many years ago. I'll never forget the brazenness of those who just opened people's bags and took out whatever items they wanted.

I lost a radar detector on an airline years back (the only thing missing from my bag). Despite submitting all the paperwork, they just denied responsibility. Now that we have TSA inspections, you'll never pin down responsibility for your stolen items. Don't be ignorant; the baggage handlers steal!

None of this is NEW!
We all know that the TSA is a govt bureacracy and as such, reacts to news rather than acts in a rational fashion swinging from one side of the pendulum to the other. They are NOT taught to think or exercise discretion. They act according to what they are told! one thing IS for sure, and that is there is NO standardization!
And yes, I have had items stolen from CHECKED baggage while commercialing to duty. Was clearly my fault as I had a TSA-approved lock and that also was stolen!!
Here's a report on our illustrious TSA which holds NO surprises.

By JOHN TIERNEY
Published: August 15, 2006
Three years ago, officials at Dulles Airport conducted a little experiment to improve security on international flights. They wanted most passengers to spend less time in line at checkpoints.
Skip to next paragraph
tierney-ts-190.jpg
Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times
John Tierney.

For Further Reading

ts_icon.gif
E-Mail John Tierney

ts_icon.gif
Columnist Page

Podcasts

ts_icon.gif
Audio Versions of Op-Ed Columns

TimesSelect subscribers can now listen to a reading of the day's Op-Ed columns.

Today, of course, this idea sounds terribly dangerous. Who can afford to worry about passengers' convenience? Let them wait for hours. Take away those Evians of mass destruction. Last weekend, even reading material became suspect — why would anyone on a six-hour flight need a book anyway? Stop making trouble and watch the movie!
The Dulles experiment was radical even in 2003, when airport screeners thought nothing of making passengers wait while they searched Grandma's purse for nail scissors. But a few experts wondered if there was a better use of everyone's time.
The screeners at Dulles stopped worrying about pen knives, shoes and laptops, allowing passengers to pass through more quickly. The speed of the line increased by nearly a third. The screening process required fewer workers, but they detected more problems because they worked smarter.
Instead of looking for things, they looked at people. Borrowing techniques from Israeli airports and the U.S. Customs Service, screeners observed a passenger as he entered the airport, checked luggage and stood in line at the security checkpoint.
The screeners were looking for unusual behavior like sweating, rigid posture, clenched fists. A screener would engage a passenger in conversation and ask questions he wouldn't have been trained to expect, like whether he'd seen a Redskins game the night before even though the Redskins hadn't played.
The screeners were looking for telltale body language of someone trying too hard to act natural. When they spotted it, they singled out that person for interrogation, a pat-down and a luggage search. The screeners caught no terrorists, but they consistently found people with something to hide, often a forged visa, a stolen airline ticket, drugs or other smuggled goods.
Scott McHugh, who oversaw the Dulles program for the Transportation Security Administration, is confident this type of screening would have flagged the Sept. 11 terrorists or the latest plotters in London. "If you look at the videos of 9/11 terrorists and the interviews with people who talked to them," he says, "they all exhibit symptoms of stress that would have been identified, like failure to make eye contact and failure to answer questions directly. They're not exactly sophisticated. They're under so much stress that anything out of the ordinary really throws them off their game."
McHugh, though, doesn't hold much hope for the current system. He's now in the private security industry after leaving the T.S.A. in frustration at its inertia. Although the agency has been introducing the innovations from the Dulles program to other airports, it still spends most of its time and money looking for things.
"Airport security isn't much better than it was on September 10," McHugh says. "Terrorists will always come up with something new. As long as we keep looking for things from the last plot, we're inconveniencing 99.99 percent of the people with no real benefit."
It's not that the T.S.A.'s leaders don't see the problem. Kip Hawley, who took over the agency last year, is a smart manager who has been trying to change the agency's focus. He removed small scissors from the taboo list, and he has complained about all the time spent by screeners seizing cigarette lighters to comply with an order from Congress.
But he's making little headway because he has inherited an unworkable mess created by Congress after Sept. 11. It ignored the security model in Israel and much of Europe, where screening programs are run by airports under the guidance of a national agency. Instead, Congress ordered the T.S.A. to both supervise and run the screening programs itself.
The result has been a waste of billions of dollars on an unwieldy federal agency that's become known as Thousands Standing Around. The T.S.A. should be trying to anticipate new terrorist tactics, like the bomb plot uncovered in England, but it had to raid its research budget to pay for the screening program, as Eric Lipton and Matt Wald reported in The Times.
It should be looking for new ways to identify dangerous passengers, but it's too busy following Congress's mandates to search everyone's bags. Now screeners have even more stuff to look for as we all stand in line — well, almost all of us. Anyone serious about blowing up an airplane is off somewhere else working on something new.

P91 corp. ?

b757driver said:
Part 121, 135, 90 or whatever.
Do you even think the TSA know the difference, can tell you apart or even care?:confused:

Heck, I don't even know the difference.

I seriously doubt if the TSA has ever HEARD of the parts.

Latest resources

Back