• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlining to and from work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exemption is only for 121 crewmembers in uniform. Otherwise it will just be up to the TSA wherever you happen to be. Some will let you thru in uniform and some will not. Just depends whether they notice you are not 121 or whether they care.

HS

Hey Batsky,

Lighten up Francis! If you read my post, you'll see that I'm not asking what the policy is (I know what it says). I'm asking how it is being applied to frac pilots because we all know that there is absolutely NO standardization at the TSA.

For the rest of you, thanks for your input. Good to hear that most of you don't have to leave your toothpaste behind.

C425Driver

HSDriver said:
Exemption is only for 121 crewmembers in uniform. Otherwise it will just be up to the TSA wherever you happen to be. Some will let you thru in uniform and some will not. Just depends whether they notice you are not 121 or whether they care.HS

Any 135 jumpseaters out there who have jumpseated recently? If so, were you treated any differently from 121 guys or did you find it really didn't make a difference?

I dont think it matters if your 121 or 135. "BOTH" require FAA approved training, checkrides, background checks.... oh yeah and FAA approved ID badges. If your NJA/NJI, you work under an Air Carrier certificate, end of story. The 'sticky' is when you present a valid boarding pass and they say, your paying to ride today? Lots of grey area here. My advice (having been a "real" airline pilot once or five times, haha) is to look professional..... and bullsh*t your way to the front. If that doesnt work, check your bags!I go home tuesday.... will post what happens when I try it!

wolfpackpilot said:
I dont think it matters if your 121 or 135. "BOTH" require FAA approved training, checkrides, background checks.... oh yeah and FAA approved ID badges. If your NJA/NJI, you work under an Air Carrier certificate, end of story. The 'sticky' is when you present a valid boarding pass and they say, your paying to ride today? Lots of grey area here. My advice (having been a "real" airline pilot once or five times, haha) is to look professional..... and bullsh*t your way to the front. If that doesnt work, check your bags!I go home tuesday.... will post what happens when I try it!

well said, When I traveled on day 1 and spoke with the TSA supervisor, he gave me a copy of the TSA directive which clearly states that any crew member in uniform is exempt, no wording of 121,135,or 91 for that matter, and yes I was allowed to carry my ice cold soft drink and lunch on board

batsky2000 said:
well said, When I traveled on day 1 and spoke with the TSA supervisor, he gave me a copy of the TSA directive which clearly states that any crew member in uniform is exempt, no wording of 121,135,or 91 for that matter, and yes I was allowed to carry my ice cold soft drink and lunch on board

Could you send me a copy?

We don't have a chance. This was posted on the "Majors" board:

So I was commercialing home today in uniform and the agent didn't want to let me through security with my water bottle because apparently "you're a UPS pilot, you are not flight crew".......um, ok?!?!?!?! She then informed me that UPS is not "commercial"........allrighty then. Maybe next time, we won't be able to get through at all if we don't have our hat on......WTFO???

I had no problems airlining in uniform today. Unless someone in the TSA produces a document that specifically states that I'm not allowed through the employee lines in uniform as a frac pilot, I'll continue to do it.

Kelly said:
I had no problems airlining in uniform today. Unless someone in the TSA produces a document that specifically states that I'm not allowed through the employee lines in uniform as a frac pilot, I'll continue to do it.

Hey Kelly and Edattheairport...just curious as to which airports you were at when you went through security. It might be able to help out some of us who plan on jumpseating/airlining in the near future. Thanks in advance.

Latest resources

Back