• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines vs Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the important part of having miltary retirement is having healthcare AFTER you retire from the airlines. I made a clean break from AD (no reserves) after 7 years and with all the financial instability at the airlines, I am concerned about my ability to afford post-retirement healthcare. Currently, retiree medcial is covered at AA...will it be in 17 years (or 22 years to 65)? I certainly have my doubts.

Unit

Last edited:
I bailed at 14+ years, but had a great part time gig. It worked VERY well for me. However, here are some considerations...

For getting out...

-How much of a businessperson are you? What are your dreams? My Emerald Coast business has been a dream come true, and I've had a blast. My latest project is perhaps purchasing a stable/horse boarding facility. A UPT buddy is selling mortgages, buidling cabins, and works at FDX for "fun". What are your dreams? Hard to build much of an empire working 7-5 for the "man" everyday in the AF.

--How much do you want to be an airline pilot? Leaving NOW means UPS, FDX, and a host of others are hiring. Seniority is nice. Will they be hiring when you retire? Will your retirement be enough to live comfortably? How much do you need to FLY for a living? Right now you can get a flying job...in 5 years who knows?

--How tired are you of deploying, more with less, service above self, etc etc? Do you LIKE your situation now or are you just marking days off a calendar for the next 5 years?

For staying in...

Job security. Watch CNN. Looks like we got a job for the next few years.

Pride. Hard to beat. After 2300 + hours, stepped away from the Eagle last week. Cried and sniffled like a little girl. Won't get that kind of pride anywhere else...

Pay...not bad as a Maj/LTC/Col. You won't buy a ranch or a yacht, but you won't sweat eating out or the occasional new TV if you stay in.

The ultimate?

The "fence straddling" guy who finds an AGR slot but gets an airline line number prior. Problem is A) its hard to execute and B) you poison the well for those behind you. Tough to get someone from unit X hired after 1 or 2 guys pull that act... Again...I ain't preachin'....and your mileage may vary.

I got stories from all sides. My number is on the link below...feel free to call sometime if you need a sounding board. The call is worth what you pay for it...(nothin'...)

I think the best thing to do is...stay current, get all your ratings, get your masters or a second bs or some other certificate of achievement that will position you in 5 years to be competitive in the job you would like to do for 20 years. then in 5 years, when the time comes you will be able to evaluate the airline industry and make the best choice.

Stay in! I got out at 15 and I wish I had stayed. Your QOL will be much better with that back up income. You can drop trips and not have to worry about paying the bills. You will be competitive. We had a couple guys in their 50's in my new hire class.

The "fence-straddling" recommendation above to seek an AGR post has a distant cousin that's easier to find in ART positions. It takes 5 years to get tenured as a civil servant, and with the Catch 62 "military buyback" of your active duty years for credit, you can add those 15 years (add another 4 if you went to the zoo) for about 13K. In other words, work 5 years for a 20-year retirement. It's a deferred retirement that you don't receive until age 62 (normal ART retirement is about age 56 if you stick with it), but it's nice peace of mind before venturing into (or back into) the unpredictable pension landscape of the airlines. The active-duty retirement is better in that you get it that much sooner, but the combined civil servant pension, the TSP (5% matching), and reservist retirement (identical to the AD pension except you can't have it 'til age 60) add up to quite bit more monthly income than AD retirement when it does start coming. More importantly, you're in the Reserves - a far and away better place to be than active duty under just about any circumstances. You know you can be home on whatever holiday/birthday is important to you, and you don't worry about getting moved. Just food for thought, good luck with the decision.

Faced the same delima a few years ago and retired at 20 and went to WN. If you are serious about going the airlines, plan to be flying at 20 and position yourself to make the leap successfully. While staying in the AF beyond 20 has its own rewards, if you are serious about flying after the Air Force, make the leap at 20. I believe getting hired is easier and seniority obviously rules in this buisness so you want to get on a list and hopefully get to enjoy some seniority before you hit 60/65. The increased retirement pay from a 30 year career would be nice but if you get on with a stable company and can stay there until you retire again, that increased retirement pay will be more than offset. That is a somewhat big "if" though in this business and in my opinion, long term job security should drive your job search.

As far as the lifestyle, I enjoyed every minute of my time in the AF (including my share of "bad deal" deployments) and do not regret staying to 20. I do miss the flying/comraderie/sense of purpose/etc. in the AF and had my family situation been different, I'd probably still be in but I believe my current situation is best for my family. After 20+ years of the nomadic military lifestyle (which typically only gets more nomadic between 20 and 30 years) we are really enjoying putting down roots and enjoying knowing we will be in one place for a while.

The airline job is enjoyable but professionally it is not as rewarding as my time in the Air Force. The flipside is that my stress level is about 5% of what is was during my last 3-4 years in the AF doing those typical O-5 jobs. Being on the road 13-15 days a month is not the greatest but the days off are all mine and the only thought I give to the job when I'm home is making sure I know when my next trip starts. As far as my family is concerned, the lifestyle change is a big improvement. My 2 cents.

This is a good thread. I put in 8 yrs active and bailed during the drawdown of the early 90's. Busted ass in the commuters waiting for the big show. Got to a major in 2000 and was on the street 1.5 yrs later. No one was hiring after 9-11 except the military. After 2.5 yrs I got an AGR gig and have been very happy. Since the pilots at my legacy got a nice 40% pay cut while gone I can't even match my current pay and bennies unless a senior wide body FO. It is depressing to say the least. Unless one can get on at FEDEX or UPS you will be poor for many years to come. People need to run the numbers, these jobs except those chosen few are not what they used to be. Good luck.

Holmie

Latest resources

Back