Airlines vs Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tri-Care for Retirees . . .

I use Tri-Care as my primary insurance which cost $460/year for a family -- that is a fantastic bargin . . . I don't know if any of the airlines can match it . . . dental, on the other hand could be better, and I use my airline's dental plan. Getting the monthly Uncle Sam love note every month is really nice, but don't fool yourself; you and your familiy have sacrificed big time for that love note.

Stay the five years . . . invest, and fully fund your ROTH IRAs . . . it will be awhile before you can invest/save again after retirement.

Keep 'em Level~n~True

I am 5 years short of reaching my 20 in the Air Force and am beginning to think about whether to retire and go to the airlines at 20 or stay in and maximize my miltary retirement (although if I do that my flying days are basically over). ...

I retired at 20. I was a mere navigator, so airlines were not an option. Still, I'm very glad I did. I found lots of opportunity in the civilian software world, which suited me well. If a chubby ex-navaigator can make it as a civilian, anyone can.

I'm very grateful to the Air Force and I wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything. For me, 20 years was enough.

Retiring was a bit like being born again, but it turned out to have few downsides for me. If nothing else, it was great changing my dress and appearance standards from those of the Air Force to those of an internet startup.

The total goodness of being retired military didn't sink in until the day came when I hadn't gone to work for a couple of months, yet Uncle Sam kept sending paychecks! You take a 50% base pay cut every day you stay on active duty after you become retirement eligible.

I would be astonished if you didn't find an excellent position in the civilian world in short order.

Jimntexas, what you doing in the civi world to pay the bills? If I could find a job that paid similar, i'd be done with flying. Being "always gone" is getting old. Life is passing by, etc....

I waited until 28 yrs. Knowing now what I do, I regret not getting out sooner. I was 50 when I got hired so 40 is no big deal. There were 8 guys over 40 in my class of 24. I would say make the jump.

At least in 5 years you should have a better idea of what is going on at the airlines and how the probable change to age 65 retirement will have changed things- it's very possible that the hiring/ recalls happening now slow down or stop if the regulations change for about 5 years after the change occurs. Do your best to make some friends at FedEx or UPS since those are now the highest paying and probably will continue to have the best job security, even if the current majors get their compensation back up. NetJets also has a lot of ex military pilots and works well for the many who are still in the reserves or national guard. Keep checking out things here to see what the trends are and good luck whatever you decide.

I did 15 years, got in a guard unit and got hired at the airlines. I've been activated three and a half of the last five years and gained seniority the entire time. You have to do what is right for YOU.
I wouldn't recommend the double commute, it's tough.

I recently made a similar decision at the 14 yr point. I feel fortunate to have found a flying position in the ANG. The alternative was to stay in, take a staff assignment, and probably end at 20 with four years of not flying. OR... Behind door number 2 AFPC was willing to entertain me volunteering for a year long remote, and then to the assignment of my choice. They cut both orders at the same time, the catch being that you must volunteer prior to ANY assignment offers. Good luck.

FWIW, my neighbor is on LOA from DAL. He got a FT ANG gig. Said he won't go back to DAL when his leave expires and wants to finish his career with the AF. With the pay cuts, etc. at DAL he has no interest in going back. His wife has a decent job so I speculate that weighed in his decision. You've got some time to decide and see the way the winds are blowing. Good luck.

14 yrs was enough for me. Knowing I would have to put up with more of the same BS with 40,000 less people in the AF over the next 6 yrs in a non-flying staff, or remote assignment was more than enough reason for me to take the leap. Not easy to do with a wife and 3 kids, but worth it for my sanity. Fortunately, I got a reserve job lined up along with the airline job. Made the decision and ain't looking back. Only time will tell if it was the right one.

Make the best use of the next five years you can. Call up or contact every person you've ever flown with during your career that is now flying for an airline (crucial for FDX, especially). Some may tell you to pound sand, some may help. Lay the groundwork now for when you retire, don't push it off. Also, keep an ear to the ground for any non-pilot opportunities that come your way, you just may find one that appeals to you more than night hub turns or Motel-6 layovers.

Latest resources

Back