Airlines vs Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fly4unclesam

I am 5 years short of reaching my 20 in the Air Force and am beginning to think about whether to retire and go to the airlines at 20 or stay in and maximize my miltary retirement (although if I do that my flying days are basically over). Personally, I want to retire and begin an airline career but I also have a wife and three children to think about. I would be interested in any advice from retired military folks who did retire at 20 and how they rate their current lifestyle with the one they had as a military aviator. In today's environment, are retired military pilots in their early 40s competitive?

Thanks

Jump out and never look back. Stay current flying to get an airline job, your very competive at 40. Get the job then give back to the family, it will be the best decision of your life. Based on my life today, I appear to have had no "lifestyle" prior to retirement.

I have been furloughed for over 5 years and I could get out again in about a year. I am so tired of the military that it is very tempting to interview at FedEx/UPS and leave after 15+ years of service. The smart thing to do, however, is just tough it out for 5 more years and get the $40k a year.

Here is the problem with getting out with 15 years of service: Most folks want to finish out their retirement in the reserves. What ends up happening is they work their normal airline schedule and then do the reserves on their days off. If your home, pilot base and reserve unit are in 3 different places, your life sucks big time. I have lots of friends who are doing this. Believe me, it is not "living the dream." Unless your dream is to never be at home.

Are you willing to cut your ties with the military completely after 15 years? That's a tough question.

On the other hand, if you don't fly at all the last 5 years you won't be able to get an airline job. Kind of a Catch 22.

Can you volunteer for some job like T-6s to Vance that is hard for AFPC to fill and will keep you flying? It sucks, but you will at least stay current. Without recency of experience you will not get an interview. The SWA application makes you list your flying time going backwards in one year intervals for the last 5 years. Yours would be blank. Not good.

Military pilots in their early 40s are competitive IF they have been flying recently.

IMHO

Big Slick,

I think I need to clarify. I am definetly staying to 20. I am at 15 now but, as you said, it is worth 5 more years for the guaranteed pension...no doubt about it. I am currently in a staff job but I should return to the cockpit for my last assignment so I will be actively flying. I am actually leaning towards trying to get a T-1 job at a UPT base or maybe back to the C-17 (I'm not sure if the extra heavy time is worth the ops tempo though). So, I plan on being current, 42 years old, retired O-5 and just trying to get a feel for life on the other side.

Military Retirement

I stayed for 20 years, and then joined the airlines. If you can fly for the last years actively, or at least with an aero club (with multi engine) I'd stay. The pension is a huge security against the instability of the airline business.

I'm well aware the military pension is not guaranteed. However, for the government to default on miltary pensions, well, the entire country would have to be in a mess.

The goverment pension is not enough to live confortably, however, it pays my mortage and utilities. The rest I can easily make up with or without a airline job.

Bottom line, If you can stand it, hold on for 5 more, then come join us retired folks. It's great to be paid to stay alive. We look foward seeing you.

Ricky

I have 1000+ hours in the T-1 and over 2500 in AETC. AETC IP time is the best time you can log. If you could finish out your career in AETC, that would be the best thing in my opinion.

I was hired at two airlines at age 32. In both classes, the youngest guys had lots of white jet time. The airlines love AETC IP time. In my 727 FE class, 4 of the 6 in my group were coming from AETC. The C-17 is good, but T-1 time would be better. Plus, you don't deploy.

On the other hand, being a line IP in AETC is tough duty. When the new class hits the line, you go in at 4am everyday for the first 6 weeks. And, as you know, it's a 12 hour work day. For older guys, it's tough. Eventually, you get an office job in the squadron and then it's not too bad.

Also, you fly with a horrible co-pilot everyday!

Every year I was on the line, I flew ~500 hours. 95% PIC and 90% IP. Good stuff for the airlines.

I would be afraid to work in the airline industry without a military retirement. It may be all I have someday.

Stay in and start applying about 8-9 mos out. Join Air inc and go to the seminars. There will be a lot of jobs out there when you retire, and with the retiremant and medical, you can take a less than desirable job while you wait for a good one. Good Luck.

Stick it out. Having the deposit in your checking at the beginning of the month is a huge relief. The medical alone saves thousands of dollars a year.

c9skytrain,

How does the military retirement help with your medical costs? Doesn't your company have a medical plan?

Just curious. I always figured the military medical would be worthless if I get recalled to my airline job. I thought you could only use Tri-Care if you had no other insurance.

Latest resources

Back