Airlines Vs Fractional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A2B

Besides your making everyone wonder if you have actually flown any of the aircraft you are talking about outside of Microsoft Flight simulator, you are also truly demonstrating your complete lack of any sense of humor. You are replying to a joke post that was in reply to another joke post as if complete serious, making you look even more like a fool than you already do. I bet people you know hate it when they have to explain all the punch lines to you.

gunfyter said:
More Airplane?

Which one of those RJs cruises at up to FL510 or at Mach .92? LAX to MIA 4.0 Block to Block?

I'm sure you're joking here, but I just want to be sure. You are not claiming that the higher and faster an airplane flies the harder it is to fly, are you?

Aspiring to be said:
Most of the passengers on business jets are frequent, experience flyers, and are really easier to deal with. I find when there is a weather problem etc and it is explained to the passenger it is much better understood and appreciated by the business jet passenger.

What do the airline pilots know about dealing with the pax? They sit up front, make announcements, and sometimes stand at the door as everybody is deplaning. They don't deal with the pax - the FA's do. Of course it is going to be better understood by somebody that flies more often - but many times the airline crews keep the pax completely in the dark.

From some of your post (WilliE) it is easy to see that you do not think highly of 121 pilots. I am guilty of not thinking of commuter pilots as 121 but rather as 135 as they were when that type of flying started. If you like to think that doing your own wx, flight planning is a big deal then continue to do so. Yes, we use to do much the same at the airlines. Long-range flights require much more in wx planning than what you do from TEB to PBI. The type of airplanes I flew the last 25 years with the airline had much more than 15 minute turn times. It is almost impossible to load one in less than 20 minutes. Average load times for a wide body are about thirty minutes. Most wide body flights require about one hour for turn. Minimum turn times for the small ones like the DC-9 was about 30 minutes at small stations and maybe 45 minutes at places like Atl, ORD, and LGA etc. The larger the aircraft the more time involved in turning one. Flight plans are canned now to make the system faster and more efficient. That fact does not hinder the PIC in anyway of changing the flight plan or fuel load etc in any way. The fact that flight plans are canned does only one thing and that is to give the PIC more time to do more important things than trying to reach FSS to file flight plans. I like using the JEP flight planning service as I get most of the information that I did at the airline. The fuel burns and options available make for a better and safer flight. It is also easier and less time consuming, more accurate, etc.

I do wonder if the reason for your bitterness toward the airlines is because they do not give much if any credit for your rotor time. I can assure you that I do not have say less than in excess of 25000 hours. I have flown aircraft that has minimum trip departure fuel that exceeds the weight of anything with wings that you have flown. Make me a better pilot? No, but it does give me a lot more experience than you have. I have never flown and really have never had any desire to fly those things with rotors.

If you want to think that flying the small jets take more skill then go ahead and think. If you want to think that a major airline pilot Captain does not control his flight then you have a great deal to learn. Flying to some of the airports that we fly to is many times tougher than what most 121 pilots have to do and yes, it does take a different experience level. Most 121 pilots do not have that much recent experience flying small airplanes into small and difficult airports but they have done so in the past. I have worked for an airline that we had to do circling approaches down to 600 feet all the time. Peaces of cake in small airplanes but try it in a wide body. 600 feet in a wide body with say average speed of about 160 knots, you are very close. I would rather be down to 300 feet in a Hawker than 600 in a wide body. I have made many circling approaches in a wide body down to minimum in mountainous terrain. I made a statement and one that I believe through my experience is true. You cannot say with any authority or knowledge that flying small jets are more difficult or the same because you do not know. You could teach me many things about helicopters but you lack the experience to tell me about the difference in the large as opposed to the small jets.

DIE, THREAD, DIE!!!!

Let's kill this stupid thread and move on to a more constructive topic; like military vs. civilian:eek:

A2B

I have nothing against 121 pilots, I was one for quite awhile before I got here where I want to be. Just because I was an "Airline" pilot it didn't give me a superiority complex about it as apparently it has given you. I just disagree with all your assertions about the bigger the plane is, the harder it is to fly. I think that is a very simplistic attitude and for the most part, wrong.

You should know. I have more time in small jets than you do and you have no PIC or time in any large type (wide body) airplanes. Just what do you base your assumption that I am wrong, did someone tell you? Been there done that! Case close! Another topic please!

I would have to agree with wilie. Bigger is not harder. And yes I do have widebody time.

Aspiring, I think you are confusing experience with skill. There is no more skill required for a bigger airplane, You just need the experience to think bigger so to speak. Size is alot like speed, you just have to think farther ahead. That is what IOE is for, to get you used to the sight picture required etc.

You mentioned v1 cuts and the like earlier. I would rather do 50 v1 cuts in any jet you choose instead of just one in any prop. Jets are easy, stand on the rudder, max power, and hold until safe altitude. Unless you are a pee-poor pilot you will live. Now lose one on a piston or a turbo prop that doesn't auto feather and you have your hands full.

Skill and experience are two different things. yes you have more experience than those RJ guys, Not necessarly more skill.

If you really want to see a skilled pilot, go find the poor slob flying that baron or 310 with one failed engine shooting a 200 1/2 ils with no flight director who is lucky if he even has an HSI.

I was the best Inst. pilot I will ever be when I flew a raggety light twin around every night. I am now like you, I have experience but have lost some of my skill. But thats the wonders of the modern glass cockpit. Could I still do what I did back then with a baron? Yes, but not without some single engine work first. Too much extra stuff to do in a light twin that I don't have to think about in a jet.

Fire away.

Snorter,

Very well said. There are lots of different types of flying jobs. Some, out of necessity, require more hands on skill than others. Doing a snap roll 50' above a runway in an aerobatic airplane, now that takes skill and precision. Think about the fighter jocks doing their thing with zip autopilot. Think about the helicopter guys who hopefully not only fly their aircraft but wear it as an extension of their body. There are numerous examples of this in all endeavors of aviation and way to many to mention here. The most mature thing one can do as a pilot is to be able to recognize and appreciate the skills that some of our brethren have in not only our own line of work but others. Cutting each other down sure isn't professional and in most cases it is an indicator of an inferiority complex.

Latest resources

Back