• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines say pilot fatigue rule would cost jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you can't see the economic difference between a $2 tax and a $15 fee charged by a private company than this conversation is a lost cause and it is no wonder that this country is in the fiscal mess that we are in.

Dare I sound like a $%^&NG liberal but, a $2 tax might actually reflect the increased cost of providing the illusion of security v. a $15 fee for which 1$ might actually go to cover the cost of the service. They sure as heck don't pay the rampers any more than before. Nor, do they pay the F/As, who have to deal with the carry-ons any extra. And, they DAMN sure don't pay us any more while we wait longer to load and unload the pax.

$6 sandwich? I can kinda see that. But, I KNOW it doesn't cost the airline $150-$450 to change an itinerary (especially when seats are available) or $75-$150 for a pet (especially one they never even handle [i.e. cabin pet]).

I don't see the difference because, like most people, I strongly feel that getting ripped off is bad - no matter who is doing it. So, for one group of swindlers to point fingers at another is laughable.

Last edited:
Dare I sound like a $%^&NG liberal but, a $2 tax might actually reflect the increased cost of providing the illusion of security v. a $15 fee for which 1$ might actually go to cover the cost of the service. They sure as heck don't pay the rampers any more than before. Nor, do they pay the F/As, who have to deal with the carry-ons any extra. And, they DAMN sure don't pay us any more while we wait longer to load and unload the pax.

$6 sandwich? I can kinda see that. But, I KNOW it doesn't cost the airline $150-$450 to change an itinerary (especially when seats are available) or $75-$150 for a pet (especially one they never even handle [i.e. cabin pet]).

I don't see the difference because, like most people, I strongly feel that getting ripped off is bad - no matter who is doing it. So, for one group of swindlers to point fingers at another is laughable.

One difference between the $2 fee and the $15 fee is that the $2 fee is involuntarary and not subject to any kind of check/balance and the $15 fee is only there so long as passengers keep choosing to pay the fee. Competition emerges (ie SWA choosing NOT to charge the fee, certain airlines charging less than others, fees being waived for certain people, increased cost of longer boarding times, etc.) If the passengers don't like the fees enough they will choose airlines with less/no fees and this will eventually lead to the other airlines being forced to eliminate/reduce the fees.

Additionally, at least the $15 stays in the airline, so whatever the negative effect on demand is, is offset by the airline gaining $15. That $2 (and all the other taxes) is a 100% hit to demand without a revenue offset and the $2 goes into the fiscal blackhole that is the US Federal Government...and just like the airlines...the government isn't passing the extra revenue on to the commoners either.

...and you do sound like a $@#%^ liberal... :)

That $2 (and all the other taxes) is a 100% hit to demand without a revenue offset and the $2 goes into the fiscal blackhole that is the US Federal Government...and just like the airlines...the government isn't passing the extra revenue on to the commoners either.

...and you do sound like a $@#%^ liberal... :)
GTFO here with that idiotic talk. Fiscal black hole? It's deadbeats like yourself that are bankrupting the government, and by association the economy.

You complain about a $2 dollar tax for being wasteful, but cheer a $15 airline surcharge because it's revenue... you really have gone off the reservation. It's clear to me that ideology is more important to you than numbers and sense.

A private company that provides the same security at twice the price is a drain on the system, no matter how much you dittoheads believe corporate fiefdoms are the promised land.

It's like none of you took a Civics class in your life.

What do I win, YIP?

1.4% Margin of Error
Man that is great guess!, one of the best guesses I have ever seen, why this marks you as the best guesser that has ever posted here. But much like drawing any conclusions on what a crew rest rule will do to the airline industry, is still just a guess.
As I said before a great guess, what else self respect? undying gratitude? A good return because you guessed good and followed your guess by investing? don't know what else to say.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back