• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines hiring smokers???

wmu6503

Do airline companies look at those applicants who smoke? I keep hearing all these businesses banning smoking from their premises---does this carry onto the airlines? Do many pilots these days smoke? Is it tested for before being hired? Does it look bad if you do? Thanks for the input.

Comair does not test for nicotine.

Alaska tests for, and does not hire, nicotine users.

I find the dichotomy pretty amusing. You can be a closet alcoholic, puking drunk 3X/week, and "that's OK", but heaven help you if you smoke a cigar, dip, or abuse an occasional coffin nail.

Nicotine has been shown to enhance alertness, motor skills, etc.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/01/030114072413.htm

With so many companies rarely funding meaningful health coverage anymore, why is it their business?

Last edited:
imacdog said:
Comair does not test for nicotine.

Alaska tests for, and does not hire, nicotine users.
that's funny about Alaska, because the maintenance is so good over there that they had to put video cameras in the shop so they could be monitored.

Maybe they ought to let those guys have a chaw now and then. A little tit for tat.

Gorilla said:
With so many companies rarely funding meaningful health coverage anymore, why is it their business?

Because of health care costs. If you think that companies aren't spending a considerable amount of money on employee health care costs, go out and get some quotes for comparable coverage?

Employers may hire whom ever they wish, and if they wish to hire only non tobacco users, then that is their prerogative. If you wish to work there, its going to be on the employers terms, just like anywhere else.

I have never gave much thought to this subject. I do like to smoke an cigar maybe once a month. I will also smoke a cigarette once in a while after a couple drinks. How does a nicotine test work? How far back can it go? Is it similar to a drug test?

erj-145mech said:
Because of health care costs. If you think that companies aren't spending a considerable amount of money on employee health care costs, go out and get some quotes for comparable coverage?

Employers may hire whom ever they wish, and if they wish to hire only non tobacco users, then that is their prerogative. If you wish to work there, its going to be on the employers terms, just like anywhere else.

Agree, but my complaint is the fact that both alcohol and tobacco are legal products, yet there seems to be a microscope pointed at nicotine in these cases, when alcohol use by pilots is FAR more destructive and dangerous to pax as well as the individual.

Nicotine by itself is not carcinogenic. What if I simply wear "the patch" and use no tobacco? Will that prevent me from being hired? "Oooooh, you're a NICOTINE ADDICT! Can't have your 'type' on our property! Why can't you simply get drunk on layovers like a normal guy?" :rolleyes:

I don't work for Alaska, so take everything I say for entertainment purposes only on this subject.

Nicotine is not the enemy. The use of tobacco products is. There are multiple illnesses associated with tobacco use. My Mom smoked for 49 years and died as a result of conjestive heart disease and emphasemia. She did not have a cancer. Lost work due to tobacco use illnesses may be one factor in Alaskas decision. I may suggest that you contact the Human Rescources department at Alaska on why that is a requirement to work there and report that back here on this thread.

I agree that alcohol and nicotine are not illegal substances, but as a flight crew member, you may not use alcohol when you wish, as you wish. In many municipalities, it is illegal to smoke in many establishments, ie, bars, taverns, restaurants, etc. I saw in todays newspaper, that you may not smoke in any Westin Hotel property after January, 2006. If you do, there will be a $200 surcharge added to your bill.

The bottom line is that your employer may restrict the use of some consumer products, if that is a condition of your employment there.

Latest resources

Back