• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines hiring smokers???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One more hypothetical which I am sure will be ignored...

Many people mention insurance costs as justification for this rule. The largest cost increase for your company is likely to be: Getting married and having children.

Under your way of thinking what is to stop a company from insisting on remaining childless and unmarried as a condition of continued employment?

Sctt@NJA said:
One more hypothetical which I am sure will be ignored...

Many people mention insurance costs as justification for this rule. The largest cost increase for your company is likely to be: Getting married and having children.

Under your way of thinking what is to stop a company from insisting on remaining childless and unmarried as a condition of continued employment?

Hmm, I think that would be the Catholic Church, no?

I don't understand. The Catholic church tells corporations what rules they can impose on employees?

I will answer the question.

All of us a society would not allow any company to interject themselves so deeply into our personal lives. This would be accomplished through more than the marketplace. (ie. if you don't like it, don't work there) It would be accomplished through laws. Some laws are on the books, other areas are untested.

The smoking issue is untested. Don't even think for a second that this issue is even about smoking. It is about control and invasion of privacy. The line needs to be drawn and people need to feel some outrage.

If you don't you are a sheep. Or a lemming. Pick your metaphor.

Scenario: You are hired by Alaska, genuinely free of nicotine. Don't use it, don't care to.

Three years later. "Hmmm, these cigars are really good playing poker with the buds!" Or maybe "A pinch of Skoal is pleasant while I'm out salmon fishing."

Are you now required to tender your resignation? Do you need to hide your vile habit from your chief pilot? If a can of Skoal falls out of your kit bag, will your Captain or a flight attendant turn you in?

These are the issues. Can you be fired for using a legal product in your free time?

They do random nicotine tests just like drug tests and yes they claim they can fire you for using it.

I don't know the history of it, but I am sure this policy has not always been in effect there. So you could have been hired as a smoker, and then fired after the policy was created because you wouldn't give it up.

At the interview they ask if you have used any tobacco products in the last 6 months. A YES answer means no job.

Sctt@NJA said:
They do random nicotine tests just like drug tests and yes they claim they can fire you for using it.

To me, this seems to be something that can be challenged in court, and probably successfully, especially for those who might have been on board before the NO EVIL NICOTINE rule became effective.

The next step, as pointed out by others: "In an attempt to lower health costs, effective 1 JAN 2006, employees who consume fast food, or are heavier than published height/weight tables, or anyone who DARES consume alcohol, will be terminated. Oh yes, sell your motorcycles, or you will be terminated. No skydiving either. Forget SCUBA. Terminated."

Sctt@NJA said:
I don't understand. The Catholic church tells corporations what rules they can impose on employees?

I will answer the question.

All of us a society would not allow any company to interject themselves so deeply into our personal lives. This would be accomplished through more than the marketplace. (ie. if you don't like it, don't work there) It would be accomplished through laws. Some laws are on the books, other areas are untested.

The smoking issue is untested. Don't even think for a second that this issue is even about smoking. It is about control and invasion of privacy. The line needs to be drawn and people need to feel some outrage.

If you don't you are a sheep. Or a lemming. Pick your metaphor.

My point was that to WORK as a priest or a nun in the Catholic Church you can't be married or have children. You are a dense one, bud.

Sorry you weren't very clear about the priest thing. Don't call me dense because you don't write clearly.

It is interesting point. Doesn't really apply though, does it bud? People don't WORK as priests.

Women aren't priests and I believe you would actually have to be Catholic to be a Catholic priest. None of those types of restrictions can be apllied to a JOB.

Last edited:
I liked the billboard by the fitness center in San Francisco with the picture of the alien . . .

When they come . . . they'll eat the fat ones first

Ot: is that a picture of a brown recluse on your id gorilla? that thing is fricking heinous! I buddy of mine got lit up by one of those beasts, nasty!

Ok, sorry - back to anti smoking insanity. Next they are going to want to ban MC Ds and krispy kreme cause we are all too damn fat.

i recently stopped smoking and gained 10 pounds, at this rate im not going to be able to fit in a pit and my blood pressure is on the rise. Time to dust off the jogging shows:erm:

Latest resources

Back