Airlines hiring smokers???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
Agree, but my complaint is the fact that both alcohol and tobacco are legal products, yet there seems to be a microscope pointed at nicotine in these cases, when alcohol use by pilots is FAR more destructive and dangerous to pax as well as the individual.

Nicotine by itself is not carcinogenic. What if I simply wear "the patch" and use no tobacco? Will that prevent me from being hired? "Oooooh, you're a NICOTINE ADDICT! Can't have your 'type' on our property! Why can't you simply get drunk on layovers like a normal guy?" :rolleyes:

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

Simple, fail the nicotine test, then sue the pants off of them when you and your attorney show the courts that you take nicotine supplements for health reasons.

Nicotine is not the issue, its the use of tobacco products. If you test positive for nicotine, you produce the doctors orders/prescription. If you show up for the tobacco test, and you have a can of Copenhagen in your hip pocket, and test positive, then there may be some issues.

If its company policy that use of tobacco products is prohibited, and you've acknowledged this on your application (it is on AS's online app), and you bust a screen, you don't have a leg to stand on. Even the television lawyers won't touch that one.

smokers get more colds and upper respiratory illnesses too. More sick days, health problems etc. associated with it. Also, cigarette smoking increases your suceptability to hypoxia.

the worst part about a smoker is their breath!!

erj-145mech said:
Nicotine is not the issue, its the use of tobacco products. If you test positive for nicotine, you produce the doctors orders/prescription. If you show up for the tobacco test, and you have a can of Copenhagen in your hip pocket, and test positive, then there may be some issues.

If its company policy that use of tobacco products is prohibited, and you've acknowledged this on your application (it is on AS's online app), and you bust a screen, you don't have a leg to stand on. Even the television lawyers won't touch that one.
You don't need a doctors order to take a health supplement. I had a glass of green tea for lunch for it's anti-oxident properties and I didn't need a doctor's permission. I might even take some OTC vitamins after dinner...don't tell the feds!

erj-145mech said:

Nicotine patches and gum do not require a doctor's Rx. Maybe I just like to cop a sustained nicotine buzz via a 21 mG transdermal patch.

erj-145mech said:

I don't care about Alaska. They are fully within their right, IMO, to hire only bioengineered chimps if they want. I'm simply of the opinion that their focus on nicotine detection is unfair and misguided.:)

And after we get rid of all the smokers

It's the fat people we go after next. Then you have to be able to pat your head and rub your tummy. Pretty soon it will get out of hand. If the health insurance companies had their way... They would quit writing coverage for hurricanes for the coastal states and say.... Well you chose to live there and....How about we only hire people with no known family history of any diseases. DNA test is next. Also, if you do something stupid on your time off you can be fired... Since when do we get paid or represent the company 24/7?

Carrying a few extra pounds anyone?

Gorilla said:
I don't care about Alaska. They are fully within their right, IMO, to hire only bioengineered chimps if they want. I'm simply of the opinion that their focus on nicotine detection is unfair and misguided.:)

Once again, nicotine is not the issue, the issue is tobacco use.

What company are you directing this to? Do you need a nicotine fix now? Will this needless rant cease if you get a fix now? Why are you directing your rant at this board? Do you think that your rant here will have any effect on the issue at hand?

Sorry, the smoking area is on the other side of security...maybe they'll listen to you.

Reread the thread. I'll say it again, ad nauseum... Alaska, or anyone else, IMO, is within their rights to test for nicotine, caffeine, chocolate syrup, whatever they want. I can apply or not apply. All I'm saying is that I think the scrutiny is misguided.

They strongly imply that by testing for nicotine, they are eliminating wicked smokers from their ranks. Not all nicotine comes from cigarettes. Further, I believe the focus should more appropriately be applied to alcohol abuse.

That's it. It's not that tough.

You seem to have a real beef with nicotine. Do you harass a guy drinking a Guiness with the same vehemence? Notice I said nicotine, not cigarettes.

Last edited:
hello people! how soon do you guys forget what smoking does to your eye sight!!! i have been smoking for two years now and at night(at altitude) it is pretty bad. i can't see nearly as well now that i smoke. sure the aircraft is pressurized but you still get the effects of altitude to a certain extent. what is it like 6,000ft cabin pressure... not to mention doing a 4 hour flight and all you can think of is getting off the plane to smoke your cig! i will have to quite the cancer sticks before the majors... can't light up in their cabin! plus it smells like *#^*. personally i think it is pretty clear why they don't want to hire smokers. but that's just my opinion i could be wrong...

Last edited:
Excellent points above. I smoked off-and-on in college and the thing that motivated me to give it up (besides the fact that it stopped being any fun) was that I noticed significant effects on my eyesight, even at sea level. I tended to see spots and have trouble focusing, plus all the smoke dried out and irritated my contact-lens-wearing eyes. Once I stopped doing it regularly, those issues disappeared.

A related point is that an employee who is addicted to a substance that must be consumed every few hours, and that is administered via a medium that is offensive and/or destructive (e.g., smoke or "chaw"), will have significantly lower productivity than the same employee without the addiction. Not necessarily massively lower productivity, but significantly lower.

Josh M.

Latest resources

Back