• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline pilots lobby to fly past age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wonder if the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp payments will make it to the next edition of Kit Darby's (another UAL pilot) "If you are hired at age 32 your career earnings will be XXX million dollars" book.

(Back cover)

The time is now! Pilot shortage!
Addresses of Chief Pilots and HR department inside!

Quack!

Does anyone know what the "lame duck" session of Congress in November means?

A short session between the elections and the convening of the next regular session. Some of the members will have been defeated at the polls, but still have a few days remaining in office.

reponse from my senator....

Thank you for contacting me regarding age restrictions and retirement benefits for commercial airline pilots. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to take this opportunity to respond.

The Age 65 Act (S. 65), which was introduced by Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) on January 24, 2005, seeks to amend federal aviation law to increase the mandatory retirement age for commercial airline pilots from 60 to 65. This measure would in effect tie the commercial pilot retirement age to the social security retirement age, prohibiting the Federal Aviation Administration from requiring commercial pilots to retire before they are eligible for Social Security benefits.

S. 65 was referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, where it was amended to allow pilots over 60 to fly if accompanied by a co-pilot who is 59 or younger. The committee approved this amendment pending its adoption by the International Civil Aviation Organization, which is set to meet on this issue in November 2006. S. 65 now awaits a vote before the full Senate.

A similar measure (H.R. 65) was also introduced in the House of Representatives by Representative Jim Gibbons (R-NV) on January 4, 2005, and was referred to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.

S. 65 would protect workers’ rights both by rescinding an outdated, discriminatory regulation, and allowing thousands of pilots to continue to pay into their pensions and into Social Security. This particular economic advantage cannot be overlooked, especially considering the current fragile state of a number of airline pension programs.

The Senate’s major pension reform bill, the Pension Security and Transparency Act of 2005 (S. 1783), was passed with my support on November 16, 2005, by a vote of 97 to 2. During Senate floor debate of S. 1783, Senator Daniel Akaka (D-HI) offered the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation Pilots Equitable Treatment Act (S. 685) as an amendment (S.Amdt. 2583) to this bill. Both S. 685 and its related amendment would require the PBGC to offer airline pilots, who are required by the FAA to retire at age 60, the maximum pension benefits allowed on terminated pension plans. S.Amdt. 2583 was adopted into S. 1783 by a vote of 58 to 41. Differences between the House- and Senate-passed pension reform legislation must now be reconciled through a conference committee before further action can be taken.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
United States Senator

Latest resources

Back