• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline pilots lobby to fly past age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A short session between the elections and the convening of the next regular session. Some of the members will have been defeated at the polls, but still have a few days remaining in office.

Thanks Tom for the info, and also for being a gentleman about it. I'm a little embarassed, I wouldn't have blamed you if you would have said "look dipstick, do a little research yourself, it would only take 2 seconds using google..."

Taking action to insure that another individual loses his job so you can replace him. :puke:

But is that really scabbing.... I mean it is all fair within defined politics...

Besides, if you use the scab term too loosely... then when someone really crosses the line its kinda deluted... save the scab word for the real thing... Mr. ex non member...

Last edited:
Here will be the outcomes

-Govt wont have to pay five extra years of social security
-Govt gets five more years of extra taxes from the 150k+ tax bracket
-Old farts get more toys, and johhny gets to go rack up a bill at Riddle
-Old farts know that social security will still be around till they die

on the other hand

-airlines have increased labor costs pushing them further into the red
-i have to spend five more years flying a rj around
-i have to pay my whole life to support old farts and when my time
comes I have no social security even though I am forced to pay for it

The "I got mine, so FVK you" crowd wins again!!!

Hoo-ray!!!

Here will be the outcomes

-Govt wont have to pay five extra years of social security
-Govt gets five more years of extra taxes from the 150k+ tax bracket
-Old farts get more toys, and johhny gets to go rack up a bill at Riddle
-Old farts know that social security will still be around till they die

on the other hand

-airlines have increased labor costs pushing them further into the red
-i have to spend five more years flying a rj around
-i have to pay my whole life to support old farts and when my time
comes I have no social security even though I am forced to pay for it

The "I got mine, so FVK you" crowd wins again!!!

Hoo-ray!!!

Maybe you'll also get five more years of B797 pay... or A380 or whatever the jet flavor of the month is....

Maybe you'll also get five more years of B797 pay... or A380 or whatever the jet flavor of the month is....

No Rez. How stupid do you think he is? If the seat on the B797 or A380 takes an additional 5 years to become vacant, he will merely be flying the same number of years on that equipment ... 5 years older. He will get the additional 5 years flying time in whatever equipment he's in when the music stops and retirement age changes.

Hootie9750, don't kid yourself about this stopping at age 65. Once the pro-change crowd has their foot in the door, it will eventually slide out to 'full retirement age'; for anyone born after 1959, that's 67. And don't be surprised when full retirement age changes again over the next 10 years.

Name me one other industry where the youngsters think they have a god given right to jobs currently held by someone older than them. You can have my seat when I'm good and ready to leave it and not a moment sooner. I don't want to change the mandatory retirement age, I want to abolish it.

Why don't we change it from a retirement age to retirement at at certain longevity, say 20 years on property. When you get 20 years worth of seniority you have to retire and give the junior guys a chance. How about that? 20 years should be enough time to save for your retirement. Sounds just as stupid as a mandatory retirement age if you ask me.

If you want to retire at 60, be my guest. No one's stopping you. There isn't one working agreement that says anybody has to work past age 60. Not one. So why should you care what I choose to do? It's none of your business whether I work or not. You have no right to my job, my seat or my domicile.

But is that really scabbing.... I mean it is all fair within defined politics...

Besides, if you use the scab term too loosely... then when someone really crosses the line its kinda deluted... save the scab word for the real thing... Mr. ex non member...

Does addressing me as an "ex non member" really do something for you?:rolleyes: Hey that scab word is thrown around by quite a few ALPA Kool-Aid types that would probably would be among the first to cross if things went bad. No, ALPA would like the age 65 problem to go away. The problem is that guys and gals keep getting older and then they have a change of heart. What do you think the results would be if ALPA had held a poll in 1970 regarding women and minorities in the cockpit? Should women and minorities not been hired if the vote was 9 to 1 against, 8 to 2 against, 7 to 3 against or would you argue that ALPA should have opposed women and minorities if 50%+1 were against? No Rez, some things are not goverened by polls. Opposition to the age 60 change comes only from those whose self interest is for it not to change, until they are old enough to want it to change.

No Rez, I quit ALPA over that fraud of an "Age 60 Education Campaign". I rejoined because I believed the issue would be resolved. It was no mistake to quit, just waiting to see if it was a mistake to rejoin.:beer:

What do you think the results would be if ALPA had held a poll in 1970 regarding women and minorities in the cockpit?

I think about 30% of the membership would particapte indicating that they really don't care...just like they did recently on the Age60 issue.

No Rez, I quit ALPA over that fraud of an "Age 60 Education Campaign". I rejoined because I believed the issue would be resolved. It was no mistake to quit, just waiting to see if it was a mistake to rejoin.:beer:

Wow... A one man boycott... How about if all of us boycott the organization over our issue de jour.

Take that over to US Politics... Americans renoucing thier citizenship over the latest scandal, invasion, crisis, whatever...

Fact is the gov't, local state and fed provide many essential services that citizens can't do well without. Many services we simply aren't even aware of or that we take for granted. So why quit over one issue when so many more issues and services are used?

When the Age60 issue poll/survey was made available did you participate? Could you have?

Why not man up and stick with the organization insteading of being a short term quitter... You have no voice when you pack up your marbles and go home.

Instead, continue to work the issue as member...

Glad you're back.... :beer:

Last edited:
Name me one other industry where the youngsters think they have a god given right to jobs currently held by someone older than them. You can have my seat when I'm good and ready to leave it and not a moment sooner. I don't want to change the mandatory retirement age, I want to abolish it.

Why don't we change it from a retirement age to retirement at at certain longevity, say 20 years on property. When you get 20 years worth of seniority you have to retire and give the junior guys a chance. How about that? 20 years should be enough time to save for your retirement. Sounds just as stupid as a mandatory retirement age if you ask me.

If you want to retire at 60, be my guest. No one's stopping you. There isn't one working agreement that says anybody has to work past age 60. Not one. So why should you care what I choose to do? It's none of your business whether I work or not. You have no right to my job, my seat or my domicile.

These guy's come to mind off hand.

State and local police
firefighters
federal firefighters
federal law enforcement and corrections officers
air traffic controllers
Military
commercial airline pilots

So yea, get out of MY left seat when your time comes. Which when YOU signed up was 60.

And save me the I've been against it even before I got old and crotchety argument.

Koko

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back