• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Mergers!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why....because NOBODY KNOWS who Delta is in the Orient.

everyone knows who Derta is though...didn't they once have a big Trans-Pac operation on the west coast?

Delta's biggest problem is NO NAME RECOGNITION IN THE ORIENT! They need some forward thinkers to get more big airplanes, a much needed base out west to FLY WEST over the Pacific! And I don't mean HNL. UA and NWA have what you don't have....NAME RECOGNITION in the Orient!

How do you know that? We go to NRT and Seoul, and used to go to Hong Kong, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Taipei, and Bangkok. We start Shanghai nonstop to ATL in March. Thanks for your comments though, and maybe you should call up Anderson and tell him your concerns.....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

everyone knows who Derta is though...didn't they once have a big Trans-Pac operation on the west coast?

Yes we did, out of Portland, OR. We used to fly L1011s and MD11s all over Japan (see my post above) and from LAX and JFK to NRT too (besides PDX). But hey, Tomcat is worried about our name recognition..... How about some advertising....?

By the way, we just got approval (the rights) to fly to New Zealand, Singapore, and even Samoa (Pago Pago). There are also open skies talks going on with Australia and the US right now. I guess we shouldn't go there since we don't have a Kangaroo on the tail.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

So how can Anderson state that he wants Delta to keep the name and be headquartered in ATL? How do you announce that before a friendly merger? Read the thread I posted from the MSP Star Tribune. And, according to the thread from Sedona16, the ONLY way you can transfer the rights is through an acquisition. (only PAX airlines can do that it seems, not cargo) Read the 5th freedom thread--really interesting stuff that will put you to sleep quickly.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So does DAL have the funds to Acquire NWA or any other major carrier? I can see a merger but not an acquisition of one of the big 4. :rolleyes:

How do you know that? We go to NRT and Seoul, and used to go to Hong Kong, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Taipei, and Bangkok. We start Shanghai nonstop to ATL in March. Thanks for your comments though, and maybe you should call up Anderson and tell him your concerns.....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Because I have been there a lot! Everyone know's who NWA and UA are....Delta, Not so much! A single flight everyother day to those area's CANNOT COMPARE to the frequency of the other two. You could tell Delta mgmnt all you want, but if it is not their idea...good luck! They began screwing things up when they bought Western and slashed all of their roots out west...which allowed SWA, AWA and Alaska to EXPLODE on the scene!! Real Smart!:rolleyes:

NOPE!! NEVER!:confused: Would have been smart after merging with Western, but the "Good Ole Boys" felt there was NO MONEY to be made out west?:rolleyes: HUGE MISTAKE!!

So does DAL have the funds to Acquire NWA or any other major carrier? I can see a merger but not an acquisition of one of the big 4. :rolleyes:

Ever heard of a loan? Hedge funs can't wait to make huge M&A (Mergers and Acquisition) deals. I don't think anyone can afford to buy another, but banks etc will do what it takes. There is a lot of money to be made by Wall St types, and they know it. Another reason Delta has to make the deal is because most of our employees are non-union, and they need to be protected (seniority wise) from union people at other airlines with contracts. I know there is a bill pending that will not allow staples anymore, but that is another reason. The buying airline can make some rules and create a fair merge for the nonunion types. The pilots all have ALPA, so they would handle that side. Delta is fighting off union drives from several employee groups right now, and they save money with less unions.

Bye Bye--General Lee

NOPE!! NEVER!:confused: Would have been smart after merging with Western, but the "Good Ole Boys" felt there was NO MONEY to be made out west?:rolleyes: HUGE MISTAKE!!

They are gone now. Grinstein was the last of the "good ole boys." Anderson stated he will insist on keeping the Delta name, and if he want to buy someone and make us stronger, then he will do it. Every article I have read states Delta will CHOOSE between UAL and NWA, so I would believe that that means we are in the driver's seat. Please give an example of something otherwise. We have a new board of directors and new management.

Bye Bye--General Lee

They are gone now. Grinstein was the last of the "good ole boys." Anderson stated he will insist on keeping the Delta name, and if he want to buy someone and make us stronger, then he will do it. Every article I have read states Delta will CHOOSE between UAL and NWA, so I would believe that that means we are in the driver's seat. Please give an example of something otherwise. We have a new board of directors and new management.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just because Delta will make that choice, what (other than wishful thinking) makes you so sure United is about to liquidate and Delta isn't? If UAL sold you their Asian routes, they wouldn't be around much longer as that is their biggest crown jewel and would be a clear indication of an impending liquidation. Why couldn't United just acquire your European routes and Shuttle operation, and maybe your JFK hub? That would also be a nice fit for them on par with your prediction, only in their favor. Or is your entire prediction just based on Anderson's pep talks and your team spirit?

Bye Bye--General Lee

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7951503
This is one of the articles I found, I am looking for another one that specifically stated with a UA/DAL merger, SLC and CVG would be gone and the name would be UA. ATL would be a focus city, but company hq would be Chicago. Still looking...;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back