• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hahahahaaaa.....

SJSU affiliated flying club:

50$ wet C-152
65$ wet C-172

instruction capped at 25$

However I'd say ERAU is almost worth it just to not have to fight the university to get the education you're paying for.

when I'm not flying the heavy metal.
Since when is a rinky-dink 320 considered heavy? Is this guy serious?

You guys do the MATH......look at the money I saved to get my time and ratings.......and I'm now flying for JetBlue at age 28!!
Wow you're my hero. I would have loved to fly in college rather than study BS Poli Sci from left wing commie profs. If you're company is still around in 32 years then maybe you can brag, history indicates otherwise.

CorpLearDriver said:
I'll be dating myself but when I started it was $11.50 per hour for a C-150 and $6.50 and hour for the instructor. Times have changed.

I'm with you CLD. My "Cessna Discovery Flight" was a $10 coupon. I joined a local flying club where my dues were $15 a month (pluse $200/year membership if memory serves). I rented a C150 for $10/hour, a 172 for $17/hr. Later in life working for an FBO, I got the "employee" rate on a 172 for $15/hour (normal rate was $17/hr). Instruction was $7/hr. I did my ME in a Seneca for $69/hour.

Oh the days...

2000Flyer

I'll be dating myself but when I started it was $11.50 per hour for a C-150 and $6.50 and hour for the instructor.
Geezus! :eek: Is it true you walked point for the three wise men and pulled KP at the Last Supper?

And I thought my ass was old. :D

Minh
(Started in 1995 when a rat C150 was $48 plus $12 for the drunken Dutch kid who taught at the local goat track in Knightdale, NC. :D)

Last edited:
jetbluedog said:
Isn't it amazing what Mommy and Daddy will fork out to their UND and ERAU college kids so they can be a "glamorous" airline pilot?? Christ!

I went to the Unversity of Illinois, got a degree in business......but did my flight training on the side. Paid $38/hour in a C152 and an additional $10/hr with an instructor.

You guys do the MATH......look at the money I saved to get my time and ratings.......and I'm now flying for JetBlue at age 28!!

good job with the jet blue job... in five years when u cost to much you wont have a job!! see where the University of ILL. gets you then!

Kind of off topic but anyone have experience with DV-20s (Katanas) why is resale value on ones with Rotax engine so much less ($40K+)? Is the engine that bad? I also noticed that most of the rotax versions are VFR only but that shouldn't make up the price difference.

Any opinions?? Oh yeah it's Flightinfo, any experience with these?

jetbluedog said:
Just curious, what are UND and ERAU charging for hourly rental rates now, with and without and instructor??

I'm ready to begin laughing my ass off!!

I am paying $52.00 hour - wet, for a Mooney Ovation at a location flying club when I'm not flying the heavy metal.

Are you sure about the 52 per hour wet? That is probably at least 45 per hour for gas only. ? Something doesn't sound right.

This is a very interesting thread. Costs have certainly increased over the past 38 years. Everything's relative though...

I learned to fly back in 1966 in an Aeronca 7AC Champ that cost me $4.00 per hour/wet. In 1967 I could rent a brand new Cessna 150 from the local FBO for $6.00 per hour/wet in 10 hour blocks. Cessna 170s rented for $8.00 an hour and Mooney M20Cs rented for $16. I know that sounds pretty cheap, but I was earning $1.25 an hour bagging groceries at the time. My PPL cost me about $600, but that represented 480 hours of "bagging groceries". I'm sure that it's about the same today. Flying never has been nor will it ever be inexpensive.

One thing that seemed to be more popular back then was flying clubs. The Champ and C170 that I flew belonged to a club. However, the other planes were were FBO aircraft. In additon to belonging to various flying clubs, I've also been in several aircraft partnerships and I've even owned a few aircraft outright. Schools, like ERAU, and FBOs charge what they do because they can. There are ways to get around the high costs, but you have to be creative. If I were starting out from scratch, the first thing I'd do is to check to see if there were any flying clubs in the area.

Bottom line is this: All any potiential employer cares about is the ratings and experience that you have, not where or how you got your initial training. Upon graduating from ERAU you are not issued a special FAA certificate with a gold seal that says "Graduate of ERAU". ER is a good and highly respected school. Their flight training programs turn out good pilots. However, you pay a very inflated price for what you get. Is it necessary? Personally, I don't believe so. I have always felt that the CFI is the single most importent factor in determining the quality of the training that you are receiving. Whether you select ERAU or another flight school or even decide to use a “freelance” flight instructor the quality of your training will be largely determined by individual flight instructor’s skills, abilities, and experience. The best flight school facilities, training curriculum or the newest, best equipped training aircraft can not compensate for a mediocre flight instructor. ERAU certainly has not cornered the market on good instructors - they are where you find them.

'Sled

Last edited:
jetbluedog said:
and I'm now flying for JetBlue at age 28!!

Something just aint right here JetBluedong. Below is your quote from awhile back. In it you claim to have been flying Part 135 back in 1994. If you are now 28 that would make you 17 back in 1994. Either you are a liar or you are terrible at math. I would wager that you are a liar.

BTW, I was hired at American Airlines at the age of 27. My best friend was a B-727 Captain at UAL when he was 28 (Pre 9/11) making over $200,000 a year.
Of course now I am furloughed and he is worried that his company will be going out of business. Go ahead and brag about what you have accomplished. Karma has a funny way a sneaking up on you and smaking you back into reality.

So what is it? Were you flying Navajo's at age 17 or are you really an Airbus FO at age 28. I am guessing that it is neither. BTW, in 1994 the pilot market was terrible. You had to have 10,000 hours and 3 space shuttle landings just to get a CFI job. How in the heck did you get a Part 135 job at 17. Heck you can't even get your commercial certificate until you are 18. Oh yes, I forgot you were lying about that now weren't you.

I do like your colorful little story below however. Where did you dream that up?

jetbluedog said:
Back in '94 I was flying for a 135 outfit in the Midwest. Got a call at 11pm to fly a body from a morgue in Omaha, NE to DSM, IA in a Piper Navajo. Grabbed some Taco Bell on the way to the airport. Ate in the car on the way, didn't think much about it. Quick pre-flight, the hurse showed-up with a body bag. 3 guys loaded the body in the back, signed some paperwork, and I blasted off headed east to DSM. About 30 mins into the flight, 9000 feet, clear smooth.....all-hell broke loose within my inner bowels. I grimmaced. Shifted from left buttcheek, to right buttcheek, and back and forth, but no-luck. I knew few FBO's in po-dunk Iowa would have facilities open at 1a.m. I put my trusty faith in the autopilot, crawled in back. No one at the controls! Unzipped the body bag. Squatted over the body, a foot on either side of the dead body. Blasted my load.....man that never felt so good. Zipped up the body bag and crawled back up front.
In DSM, I've never heard a bunch of funeral home directors complaint about a body's smell while unloading in all my life. I stayed in the plane because I was laughing my-ass-off so hard.
Blasted off and returned to home base in Omaha. Never told anyone til' today!

TrafficInSight said:
hahahahaaaa.....

SJSU affiliated flying club:

50$ wet C-152
65$ wet C-172

instruction capped at 25$

However I'd say ERAU is almost worth it just to not have to fight the university to get the education you're paying for.

And just to be clear: that club doesn't get a cent from the university.

AND it's right smack dab in Silicon Valley, where supposedly the wages, and cost of living, are the greatest in the country. HTF does that work out?

Latest resources

Back