Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Runway 28 is about 6100 feet long - 5100 past the glide slope... and the glide slope was inop.

Not to mention, it was snowing like a sumbitch when they landed. The plane we picked up landed three ahead of them, and they very nearly went to the alternate at minimums on the LOC/VNAV.

The crew that brought our plane in said that the braking action wasn't bad, they got off at the end of 28 with no real problem.

Been in aviation 11 years!! Over 8,000hrs of safe flying!!! So yea, I have experience working in safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Know your role!!!

But most of your time is INTRA-North Carolina flying below 15,000, hardly "worldly." Maybe some day.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Glide slope was in service but due to the 15" of snow we got the other night it was notamed as:

FDC 7/3107 (KCLE A0785/07) CLE FI/T CLEVELAND-HOPKINS INTL, CLEVELAND, OH. ILS RWY 28, AMDT 22.... DUE TO EFFECTS OF SNOW ON THE GLIDE SLOPE MINIMUMS TEMPORARILY RAISED TO LOCALIZER ONLY FOR ALL CATEGORY AIRCRAFT. GLIDE SLOPE REMAINS IN SERVICE. HOWEVER, ANGLE MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN PUBLISHED.

The straight in LOC 28 mins for category C are 1200msl (400agl) and 3/4 or 4000 RVR.

Rumor is that they (CLE Tracon) were clearing aircraft for the ILS 28, glide slope OTS approach, which would have everyone using the higher mins anyway.

So it's not hard to imagine a situation where the runway is seen at the last minute on a NP approach, chop and drop takes place to get down, with no reliable glideslope for reference and the runway markings covered by heavy snow. Therefore there isn't a good visual reference for where to touch down. When you do finally get down again you don't have a good idea where you are at in relation to the TDZ. Runway is slick so you try to get into reverse, have a little trouble getting up and over the gates and end up skidding sideways in the process (according to one of the pax on board) and before you know it, your 6100ft of pavement are up and you've gone through the fence.

Point being, it could happen to any of us under these circumstances.

Glad no one was hurt. And yes it does seem like we have at least one overrun a winter. That lake effect snow is a b!tch to land in. Ya'll stay safe out there.

Last edited:
Maybe some day.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I can be like you????? LOL!!! Posting 5 per day with 8500 posts!! Delta mainline pilot that has no class, can't debate, no life or hobbys (sry, you lift weights didn't want to leave that out cuz it comes in handy when ur giving 737plt the reach around!) One that can't wait to hang out on his computer 24/7!!!! Yea... some day I hope to BE JUST LIKE YOU!!!!!

I'll take my Dash 8!! 3 quarters of million dollar property!! Yukon and Ridgeline, my house on the water, my wife and baby girl over ur life any day!!!

Know your role son!!!!!

Like I said, 'Dont throw rocks at a Man with a machine gun'!!!!!!

You crack me up lil' man!!!!

Now go plan ur retirement!!!!

I'll take my Dash 8!! 3 quarters of million dollar property!! Yukon and Ridgeline, my house on the water, my wife and baby girl over ur life any day!!!

Are you 12 years old or something? I'm surprised you didn't add "and my dad can beat up your dad..."

Sorry I gotta go back to my Jack Danial Single Barrel on ICE!!!

I'm just going to have to go ahead a disagree with you on this point. Unless you're sitting in an ice-fishing hut.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back