• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

air tran called, any pointers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty, I agree with BFL370.. Midex has nothing that we want or need... let em alone... I,ve heard that a hub in MKE could work and gives all the folks from chicago area access to a low fare airline.. the folks in Chicago already have a low fare airline.. a pretty big one at that.... some planes painted desert brown, some canyon blue.. etc.. the people from chicago that go to MKE expect to fly on an airline that has all first class seating.. I realize that they have their super service or whatever they call it with all coach but for the most part say midwest in chicago and everyone thinks of first class.. we don't need em...

speaking of SWA blocking us at MDW, they did no such thing... in the bankruptcy process SWA could have offered 1 trillion dollars.. It's up to the bankruptcy judge to decide what is best for the creditors and they employees and of course they usually listen to what the shareholders want i.e Goerge Mikelsons.... I hear guys talking all the time in the crew room about how southwest outbid us and they have deep pockets.. yes they have deep pockets but if our offer was better for the ATA folks, we would have won the decision... On a personal note... SWA can have MDW.. Relatively quick upgrades at Airtran lots of hiring, new airplanes to some people.. first jets to some people, etc.. MDW could have been problematic...especially in the winter time, crosswinds, braking reports, etc... not that it couldn't happen with our 10 flights or so out of there per day but 100 flights increases chances of find yourself in the middle of Cicero Ave..

717capt said:
Ty, I agree with BFL370.. Midex has nothing that we want or need... let em alone...

Well, no one seems to be calling me from (407) asking for advice, but it sounds like they are spending time up there, at least according to the rumor mill.

I,ve heard that a hub in MKE could work and gives all the folks from chicago area access to a low fare airline.. the folks in Chicago already have a low fare airline.. a pretty big one at that....

I don;t know how familiar you are with Chicago, but some people in the north and west suburbs find that driving to MKE is often preferable to driving to MDW. These are the people that are used to paying O'Hare fares, not MDW. Parking at O'Hare costs more than most of our tickets.. . . . in other words, a better yield.

speaking of SWA blocking us at MDW, they did no such thing...

Well, I guess it's all a matter of interpretation, but to me, there is no question that it was a move to block us. SWA sees us as a much bigger threat than anyone else out there right now . . . . why, I am not exactly sure, but the evidence is there if you want to see it.

especially in the winter time, crosswinds, braking reports, etc... not that it couldn't happen with our 10 flights or so out of there per day but 100 flights increases chances of find yourself in the middle of Cicero Ave..

You could say the same thing about a number of other airports we operate into . . . . but at least the White Castle has a drive through, so if the braking action doesn;t cut it on 13C, just throw open your D.V. window and help yourself to some "sliders" on the way through, and tell 'em Ty Webb sent ya!

Why don't you Air Tran folks ask your management why they are cutting back on flights in Milwaukee? Also, while you are at it, ask Northwest why they can't compete on the same routes with Midex. Midwest carries over 50% of the MKE and northern Ill. traffic. Also, Kansas City is improving beyond the companys expectations? Why? Because once you fly on all first class airline and not treated like a "airline passenger", you come back and you tell your friends. Once you fly on Midwest, everyone else, especially you low cost guys, suck. Just an observation from an old fart who happens to be a senior captain at Midex.

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony.....

Last edited:
Chuck,

As one of those low cost guys, I have to agree with you. Nobody is questioning your service levels. I think that marching to your own beat, which Midwest is doing can either be your salvation as an airline or your worst nightmare. I hope for you guys that you continue to be successful and that there will always be a class of passanger that will continue to go out of his or her way to travel in a more civilized manor.

On a different note, I took Frontier this afternoon on 2 legs and was impressed with the service and on board entertainment. The aircraft were very clean as well and the crews were very accomodating. I hope to return the favor someday soon.

IAHERJ

I just rode on Midwest on a full fare ticket to an interview. Best domestic service around. Flight attendants are actually nice, helpful, friendly, and are hard working. The FAs aren't over the hill, and it isn't obvious they got tired of their bartending job and went to work at Midwest. The 2 by 2 seating is great and the planes were clean. Great operation.

Chuck Yogourt said:
Why don't you Air Tran folks ask your management why they are cutting back on flights in Milwaukee? Also, while you are at it, ask Northwest why they can't compete on the same routes with Midex.

Other than the usual seasonal changes, I haven't seen it any "cut back" MKE service. We have 4 ATL flights every day, plus MCO on weekends.

Because once you fly on all first class airline and not treated like a "airline passenger", you come back and you tell your friends.

I think we all wish that this were true. Unfortunately, the flying public is saying that price is king.

Once you fly on Midwest, everyone else, especially you low cost guys, suck.

By "suck", I guess you mean that we make money.

Just an observation from an old fart who happens to be a senior captain at Midex

Well, here's another "observation", old fart. The primary motive of a business is to make money . . . otherwise, it becomes a charity.

Another observation- maybe you ought to temper your optimism with a dose of realism, and develop a little respect for those "low cost guys who suck" because when your "best care in the air" stops sending you checks, you will be a "low-cost guy who sucks". . . . or worse.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. Airtran is to WalMart as Midwest is to Target. Both low cost.
One is a little classier with all first class, and one cheap with a cheap, no frills product you go back to with lower class.

Chuck, so you are a SENIOR CAPTAIN at midwest. That means you are about 300 from the bottom right?

WOW!!!!!

Remington said:
It's pretty simple. Airtran is to WalMart as Midwest is to Target. Both low cost.
One is a little classier with all first class, and one cheap with a cheap, no frills product you go back to with lower class.

Well, I know which one's paycheck I would rather be cashing . . . . and which one's contract I would rather be working under . . . . and which one's seniority list I would rather be on.

Latest resources

Back