Air Tran Attrition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jmoney

Just wondering what the attrition rate is these days? Are there many folks left about to retire-what about losing guys to other airlines?
-Thx

We've lost about 65 guys so far this year to retirements and other airlines. The guys leaving are mostly going to SWA, FDX, and UPS, but a few leave for CAL or DAL.

2-3 each month are for retirement (both Age 60 and early out for Medical reasons). We're only slated to lose about a dozen a year for Age 60 retirement for a long while which will, of course, go down dramatically if/when age 65 is passed but it's not enough to hurt upgrades substantially.

Figuring 15 aircraft deliveries per year, 6 CA's per aircraft, 12 F/O's (1 F/O to replace the guy upgrading, 1 to fly the new aircraft), plus attrition at 10 a month (conservatively) is 300 pilots a year needed to be hired.

That's rough math, but I only expect attrition to increase with all the Majors spooling up for 400-600 pilots per year per airline and another T.A. coming out soon that's likely to have 2 or 3 items "tweaked" but not enough done to make the junior people happy long-term with F/O rates at DOS being either THE lowest or next to the lowest in the Major Airline industry and upgrade moving into the 4-5 year range for my seniority, 6-7 for guys hired this year.

The new T.A. will go down in flames.

I haven't talked to any guys on the line that are going to vote yes for it. There are just too many items that have to be changed. "Tweaking" will not cut it.

the rumors I've heard..Avg day gone, core credit gone...an improvement in the health coverage of some type, and a couple other things that I can't remember right off hand..

RV

The wording in the document itself is intentionally vague and subject to future reinterpretations, so, even if they gave us everything we asked for, I woould still recommend voting no.

Even if they did give up average day and core credit I guarantee we gave up something thay was important to us. Word is that the NPA has the TA at the office and they are reviewing it. I don't know why they are, they will send it for vote anyway. It sure would be nice to get an update from these guys.

Maybe this time the NPA is actually reviewing it so they can say they read it this time. Obviously they did not read the previous version.

the rumors I've heard..Avg day gone, core credit gone...an improvement in the health coverage of some type, and a couple other things that I can't remember right off hand..

RV
I've heard the same thing.

There's plenty of other stuff that has to go away, including the loss of Door-Close, the almost 15% 1st year PAY CUT for new-hires, Scope, jumpseat letter that can be taken back at any time, Health insurance premiums AND copays that can go up every year, and Section 5 is just a completely and total loss with all the items such as sick fly-back and the commuter clause at the discretion of the PILOT, not Crew Scheduling, and I'm not even going to start with the abuse the Reserve Pilots will have to endure (up to 3 YEARS for newly-upgraded Captains).

I can't imagine they got ALL of those things. I have my personal list of minimum items I have to see to even CONSIDER it, but I imagine I'll be "tweaking" the section-by-section rebuttal VERY soon and getting it to as many people as possible.

Ty's right, there's so many new and vague sections that it's just RIPE for re-interpretation and even MORE grievances than we already have which, if memory serves, we're about 4 yeas behind on already.

As far as the NPA reviewing it, all the BoD members have the section-by-section rebuttal and the memory of the hostile road shows. I'd be very surprised if this came out with anything better than a "neutral" recommendation and I imagine at least one or two BoD members won't even give that much.

Latest resources

Back