• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air tragedy puts focus on big, small carrier ties

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also want to add my tie is medium sized and of the zipper variety.

What do you want......a cookie?

Mesaba has been in business since 1947 without any major incidents. I could do without a cookie, but for the 15 years I have been here I think our training department could use a pat on the back. For what you might ask? Well, for being on the cutting edge of what training is all about. We hire out of the same pool as any other airline and for the most of it get the same types of new hires as any other airline. It is our training department that makes our safety record.

I know you want to look on the NTSB website just to try and one up me. I say go ahead.

ASA's had nothing to do with poor piloting- quite the opposite actually. Both cases in ASA's past had very competent, and extremely tallented pilots behind the controls. However, it was the machine that broke- not the training.

Brazilia lost in Brunswick was the result of a prop overspeed. One of the sharpest and most tallented pilots within the ASA pilot ranks couldn't control it and it rolled over in the trees in the blink of an eye. If anyone could have saved it, it would have been Brad...........

Brazilia lost in Carrolton as a result of poor maintenance performed by Hamilton Standard on a prop blade.

How is this ASA's fault, in either case?

All of the above is reasonably acccurate.

The Brunswick and Carrolton accidents were device failures. The ASA accident in Brazil was a system failure ... a true "one off."

The ASA folks, particularly after 2000, have demonstrated both expertise and professional excellence not seen in the pre-2000 crowd.

Do not paint today's ASA with the idiocy of Dan Waters. The current crowd are professionals. The "Dan crowd," are IDIOTS.

Bob

Go to PBS and share the info on the show on ur facebook. I have a lot of wise ass non airline friends that are always complaining. So i've told as many as i could..we'll see what happens..

The most insightful thing I have seen in a long time... thank you for posting. It makes me feel like there IS some hope left.

The problem is the outsourcing of the outsourced. Colgan outsourced XJT who outsourced CAL..... in a decade Colgan will be as good and as expensive as XJT, CMR and ASA are today... and Colgan will be outsourced...

When you function with a pure profit mindset... and cost is the monolithic all consuming effort.... this will continue to happen. This is not exclusive of the airline industry... this is a nationwide and economy wide problem......

As a culture and society we have to define our values outside of the dollar... unfortunately that is all we know....

where to even begin....

Simon - we've been around since 1944, which further proves your point! I find it funny when someone (you) states a fact without any attitude, sarcasm or flame bait that others may not like, the result is childish remarks (4BlueBars). You're 100% dead on... we have a lot to be thankful for with our training department. It was no accident (no pun intended) that the FAA called Mesaba shortly after the BUF accident and wanted to know more about how we train stalls.

How did you guys get the FTD #2 and the cabin trainer? Not a "fatal" but still an interesting story. No one is better than anyone else. You're a fool to think that.

I was merely pointing out a fact. Never made a comment about non-fatal accidents, FTD #2, the cabin trainer, anyone being better than anyone else, or saying anyone is a fool.

You have a problem with that?

Latest resources

Back