• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tahoma Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my 77 years, 60 of them in aviation, I have wept for a number of lost comrades. It always seems so senseless. But it hurts.

Earnest Gann said it most succinctly with the title of his great book..... "Fate Is The Hunter". It is, after all, just fate.

Take care all,

DC

Very poignant thread, guys. Something like this brings out the best in all of us. In my many years in aviation, I have had the pleasure of flying with many of these same guys; different names but the same guys. Hug the ones you love and fly your trip tomorrow and be vigilant. My thoughts and prayers go out to these aviators and to their families.

While it may be true that nobody "forced" these guys to work for Air Tahoma, I feel for them, and their families. I too, have lost a number of friends over the years in this business. Some were lost due to something they did (or didn't) do. Some due to the errors of another. And some...they never saw it coming. There was nothing they or anybody else could have done to save them.

None of them "deserved" to die.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and many friends of these gentlemen. It could have been any one of us.

Get a load of these excerpts from the columbus dispatch:

1. Not Surprised here:

"It could be as long as 15 months before the safety board releases its findings.
Investigators will listen to cockpit audio recordings, but the flight-data recorder -- the "black box" -- appears to have been inoperable before takeoff, Silliman said." NONE OF THEM WORK!!!

2. HOLY CRAP THERE IS NO WAY THIS NEEDS TO BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN:

"The cargo company had applied earlier that year for a certificate allowing it to begin flying passengers."

BUT
AT LEAST THE FAA DID SOMETHING RIGHT FOR ONCE

"The Transportation Department denied the application in 2005 because of "material deficiencies,"

I have flown the 580 and had an excellent ground school on the airframe. Plus almost a 1000 hours in it. It is a fine aircraft that makes all the other commuter turboprops look second best. However, if the prop will not feather, you are SOL! But the prop system is a very simple system and I have not heard of one not feathering. If the rudder cables are not properly adjusted, with an engine out you are SOL! And that has happened at least once.

Wow! The first time I have heard the 580 prop system called simple! Did you mean operationally or mechanically?

Sad to see AT lost more good people. I made my exit shortly after MG died in the CVG crash on Friday 13th, Aug 2004 a great guy with a young family. I truly hope the Rude family will be out of aviation after this. Bud Rude, the head of the family brags that he shut Wein Air down in Alaska and runs his business like it is Alaska bush flying in the 50's and every flight is getting the cure to some village. You can fill in the blanks on that. They have been exceedingly good at making sure the PAPERWORK isin order though! I wouldn't be surprised if the get off from this though ;-( -kingaira90

Get a load of these excerpts from the columbus dispatch:

1. Not Surprised here:

"It could be as long as 15 months before the safety board releases its findings.
Investigators will listen to cockpit audio recordings, but the flight-data recorder -- the "black box" -- appears to have been inoperable before takeoff, Silliman said." NONE OF THEM WORK!!!

2. HOLY CRAP THERE IS NO WAY THIS NEEDS TO BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN:

"The cargo company had applied earlier that year for a certificate allowing it to begin flying passengers."

BUT
AT LEAST THE FAA DID SOMETHING RIGHT FOR ONCE

"The Transportation Department denied the application in 2005 because of "material deficiencies,"

thats a little scary..........wow...

NTSB Identification: CHI08FA270
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, September 01, 2008 in Columbus, OH
Aircraft: Convair 580, registration: N587X
Injuries: 3 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On September 1, 2008, about 1206 eastern daylight time, a Convair 580 airplane, N587X, operated by Air Tahoma Inc., was destroyed when it impacted terrain as it was attempting to return to the Rickenbacker International Airport (LCK), Columbus, Ohio, where it had just departed from runway 5L (11,937 feet by 150 feet, asphalt). The captain, first officer, and a company pilot sitting in the observer seat received fatal injuries. The 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 post maintenance check flight departed LCK at 1203 and was en route to Mansfield Lahm Regional Airport (MFD), Mansfield, Ohio. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. An instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan was filed.

The accident flight was the first flight following a maintenance "C" check, which included flight control cable rigging as part of the check. The flight was also intended to be a training flight for the first officer and the company pilot seated in the observer seat.

The flight contacted the LCK air traffic control (ATC) at 1139 for its IFR clearance. At 1147, the flight was cleared to taxi. At 1200, the flight received its takeoff clearance, and the airplane started its takeoff roll about 1203. About one minute later, at 1204 the flight contacted ATC and stated that it needed to return to LCK, and it was cleared to land on runway 5L. ATC asked the flight if it needed equipment and the flight responded, "Negative." About 1206, the airplane impacted a cornfield about one mile southwest of the approach end of runway 5L.

The inspection of the wreckage revealed that the airplane had impacted the terrain on a southerly heading. The cut through the high corn that was produced by the airplane's landing gear, fuselage, and wings indicated that it was in a slight right wing down attitude on a glide path of about 10 degrees at impact. The initial contact with the corn revealed three parallel cuts through the corn that were consistent with the landing gear being in the down position. Both left and right propeller gearboxes separated from the engines and were found near the initial impact point. All four blades from both propeller hubs were separated from the hubs and were found throughout the wreckage path. Both propeller hubs were located about 1,250 feet from the initial impact point, the furthest wreckage found in the debris field. The debris field stretched from about 665 feet from the initial point of impact to an abandoned set of railroad tracks within a tree line. The main wreckage was found about 160 feet south of the railroad tracks, or about 825 feet from the initial impact point.

Approximately 10 feet of the forward portion of the airplane, which included the cockpit, separated from the fuselage at impact. The portion was lying on its right side (as viewed looking forward) and was consumed by fire. The fuselage was partially consumed by fire just forward of the vertical stabilizer between about Fuselage Station (FS) 623.00 and FS 798. The left wing had separated from the fuselage and was about 50 feet from the fuselage. It was partially consumed by fire and pieces of the wing were found in the debris field. The right wing had separated from the fuselage, and a part of the wing was consumed by fire lying under the cockpit section next to the fuselage. Sections of the lower right wing were found in the debris field. Both engines had separated from the wings and were found in the main wreckage. A ground fire had consumed a swath of corn along the debris field.

The Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) and Flight Data Recorder (FDR) were retrieved from the tail section of the wreckage and were sent to the National Transportation Safety Board's Vehicle Recorder Division for inspection.

Latest resources

Back