Air New Zealand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks X-Man, pm sent...

So far it has all been good with Air NZ. I have met with them a few times and everything has been positive so far... keeping my fingers crossed...just a few more t's to cross and i's to dot.

You aren't kidding about the cost of living...luckily we plan on settling near my wifes hometown in the deep south...not as bad down there.

Good luck to you as well.

JD

"And for the love of god there's no "U" in QANTAS!!!!"

A lot of these fellows have degrees in Quantum Physics and so it clouds their thinking a bit...

Thanks X-Man, pm sent...

So far it has all been good with Air NZ. I have met with them a few times and everything has been positive so far... keeping my fingers crossed...just a few more t's to cross and i's to dot.

You aren't kidding about the cost of living...luckily we plan on settling near my wifes hometown in the deep south...not as bad down there.

Good luck to you as well.

JD

Don't forget to dot the lowercase j's.

No, I think we are on the same page. I was just pointing out that you where not pointing out anything out of the ordinary, by saying that some jobs in the EU require EU passports.

Quote Flyingdutchman:
"FYI: Cityjet, Ryanair and a few more WESTERN european airlines actually not only are hiring Americans at this time, they are also providing them with work permits and license validations.. What American airline can say that?"

I think I'm going to have to call "Bulls#%t" on that one Mr. Dutch, read on below.....

From Ryanair's website:
You must speak fluent English, posses a current Class One Medical and have the ability to live and work in the EU without any restrictions (applications are accepted from citizens of the accession countries which joined the EU in 2004).

From CityJet's site:
In order to work with us, you must have the right to live and work in the European Union.
CityJet is a young, vibrant and dynamic company and an airline that is constantly growing. We recognise that our staff are our most valuable asset and we aim to reward them with excellent salary and ancillary benefits including discounted airline travel, pension and health care.

Doesnt sound to me like like they are getting anyone any permits! I would do a little research before spouting off.

Youre not pointing anything out of the ordinary either.....I don't see NZ giving out permits for anyone to come in as a farmer, rugby player.....etc. Why would the US when they have an abundant supply of pilots there on furlough? Might as well be shipping Ice to Antartica. I wouldn't have posted this because some of your points are good...but you try to sound like such a know it all smartass.
If there is a demand the US gives out loads of work permits... Doctors, Geologists....etc...when there is a pilot shortage in the US permits will come, pretty much like the rest of the world that hire Yanks, Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Gemans, Canadians....etc

Last edited:
Go apply at British Airways, Quanta, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, South African Airways, most Scandinavian carriers, ET. Al. I have flown with pilots from all these countries, except New Zealand. They come here and have no problem going to flight school or working for an airline.

Not true. Sure pilots come here from other countries to go to school but working for an airline in the US as a foreign citizen requires many hoops to be gone through. Most I have found are married to US citizens and have the right to work in the US as anyone else..after they attain FAA licensure. The backround check for a foreign citizen takes a lot more time now post 9/11( one regional I worked for and use to help HR with interviews would not hire a lot of pilots without US citizenship on their certificates because when hiring we needed them right way but with the TSA check requirements it would take months to get them into the sim the first time then after that the FAA required notification 10 days prior to using the sim for any training this was about three years ago and may have changed by now). THe company I am currently with cannot even hire non US citizens because we do some work for the US military. The fact I had 2 passports got me an extra interview with our D.O.( after I was hired and in ground school) to explain I was born in the US...fortunately he was dual also (Scott and Yank) and the toughest part of the whole talk was getting it in his head that the Scots have never beaten the All Blacks....and never will!!! :)

Sorry to spout off on this in the last 2 posts but I hate it when some like to take a very complex subject and simplify it with nationalism's. Bottom line is if a country is short in the workforce for a certain occupation/ skill they are going to bring in outsiders.

Last edited:
blzr -

You my friend are a ignorant dumbass and dont know the first thing you are talking about.

I suggest you start reading into this material before you start spouting your mouth on stuff you don't know the first thing about.

Refer to 2 posts back.....who is the dumbass

Spitfire,

Not wanting to get in the middle of a Kiwi and a Cloggie fight it out but he's actually correct about the Ryanair thing.

A couple of mates of mine are contract training captains at Ryanair and they've both talked about US and Brazilian pilots working there on Irish work permits and Irish CAA validations. All done through Brookfield, not Ryanair. They were supposedly given 12 months to get the JAA license but somehow managed to be there 3 years later on the same validation. Not sure how they do it but it has been done in the past, not that they've done it for about 12 months now. And they're less likely to do it in the future now they're parking planes.

PS. Any chance you know a particularly obnoxious Brit on the classic with you guys, with the initials CB?

Last edited:
I was born in the US...fortunately he was dual also (Scott and Yank) and the toughest part of the whole talk was getting it in his head that the Scots have never beaten the All Blacks....and never will!!! :)

Yeah, but the French can, pathetic to say the least.

Sacre le bleu!!!!!!!!

Spitfire,

Not wanting to get in the middle of a Kiwi and a Cloggie fight it out but he's actually correct about the Ryanair thing.

A couple of mates of mine are contract training captains at Ryanair and they've both talked about US and Brazilian pilots working there on Irish work permits and Irish CAA validations. All done through Brookfield, not Ryanair. They were supposedly given 12 months to get the JAA license but somehow managed to be there 3 years later on the same validation. Not sure how they do it but it has been done in the past, not that they've done it for about 12 months now. And they're less likely to do it in the future now they're parking planes.

PS. Any chance you know a particularly obnoxious Brit on the classic with you guys, with the initials CB?

Yea he's there on the classic, dont see him anymore because the 400 is a diffent domicile in KCHS.
Ryan is parking planes..bummer. I think by the end of summer there will be a lot of that in the states as well.

I probably should have mellowed my posts yesterday...just that subject really gets me fired up.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the French can, pathetic to say the least.

Sacre le bleu!!!!!!!!

Hey... now if they get rid of the World Cup the "Blacks" will never lose!!

Latest resources

Back