• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What I did was go to the website:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

There are a couple of steps:

1 - Submit an "Expression of Interest" - Approved in 7 days based in a point system
2 - Selected in to a pool of potential applicants - Approved in 4 months
3 - Invited to apply - Approved in 9 months

My wife and I did it together and we have no family in NZ that we listed... she has tons of cousins but no immediate family there that helps.

All in all it takes a little over a year to do and about $1000 USD.

Let me know if you need any more help with the residency and work permit part.

-RP

ATPL Law Exam Notes

ATPL Law Exam Notes:
http://tinyurl.com/2ddwbg

Purchase your set of ATPL LAW notes today and you will receive a binder containing:
- The ATPL Law Syllabus
- Rules and Advisory Circular’s (230 pages)
- Supplementary notes from NZAIP
- NINE Complete, up-to date, Sample Exams including all answers and references.

Material exactly as taught to Air New Zealand Contract Crew, Over 150 successful passes since Oct 2002.

Only $160.00 inc GST and delivery within New Zealand.

Send cheque or money order to:
Stoneybrook Training
2 - 8 Maderia Lane
Grafton
Auckland 1003

For further Information email Ian Matheson
E-mail: stoneybrooktraining @ xtra.co.nz

PAYPAL or internet banking is available as an alternative payment option

Thanks J D and AlohaFlyer

I'm an Australian citizen so I already have the right to work in New Zealand. Now getting hired by Air New Zealand - thats another story!

I have heard from many Kiwi colleagues (flying for CX) that it's possible to sit as an S/O for up to 10 years in Air New Zealand and that time to command is 20 years or more!!

Not that it's important, but salary is shoddy too.

Small fleet, dead man shoes syndrome. Have you any mates in ANZ AlohaFlyer?

I had heard that as well, however I've also heard that over 50% of the pilots are 55 plus. I hope that's true. Expansion + retirements, it should get better.

According to a few friends who are there, it is starting to improve and they are expecting much quicker upgrade times in the near future.

How does one get a work/residency visa in NZ?

You need to have New Zealand citizenship to fly for Air NZ ( at least in 1995 you did). I learned to fly there and at the time I only had residency and got my citizenship later on.
Its a beautiful place to live. I would recommend doing any flight training at a Royal New Zealand Aero Club http://www.flyingnz.co.nz/ (they are all over the place and great for training ) they tend to cost a lot less than the flight schools for training. I was in Ardmore fFying School doing my writtens and one of their twins (Duchess) was shared by an an Aero club on the same field (Waitemata Aero Club) for about a 3rd less on the cost and a more experienced instructor (Neil Hyland)....they had a great bar too.
I would recommend Southland Aero club or Southern Districts Aero Club down in the deep South (Invercargill and Gore). Things tend to cost less down there ( and they have Speights). I have been through tons of training events since flying and the best instructor I have ever had is down there, a guy named Bryan Jones.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back