Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlohaFlyer

Maikai Card Member
I spoke with the recruiter from ANZ yesterday and it sounds like they will be hiring in 2008...

I am looking forward to applying... just got my Class 1 Medical from an examiner in Arizona...

Now I need to convert my FAA ATPL...

Anyone got any tips on what I need to do to change to the CAA ATPL from New Zealand?

I also got the work permit all set... :)

Aloha,

Congrats, it sounds like you are well on your way.

As far as the conversion to the ATPL...I am in that process myself. I assume you have looked at the CAA website where it details the requirments. If not I can send you the link. In a nutshell.... if you have 500 hours PIC or 1000 hours SIC in a commercial enviroment since the awarding of your original FAA ATP all you will be required to do is the ATPL Air Law examination. Otherwise you will have to sit all 7 exams, major a$$ pain there.

You say you have the work permit...You do have permanent residency/citizenship right?? If you only have a work VISA you will be ineligible.

Was your AZ class 1 medical a NZ class 1? If so I need to find a doctor closer to CO to do the same thing. Otherwise I'll just do it next month while I'm down there.

The next time you talk to Margie tell her I said hello.

Good Luck...
JD

The only NZ Medical Examiner in the US is:
David Bryman
Phoenix, AZ
flydoc85d @ msn.com

He is a really nice guy...

That is good to know about the 500 PIC or 1000 SIC time since my ATP... I will work on getting that before I try to convert.

I did find the site and need to contact them to get the approval for the conversion.

Yes I did get the residency and work permit. It takes about 1 year. I am in the 2nd phase of it and hope to be done with it soon.

Thanks for your help. I will update my progress here... please stay in touch.

RP

Thanks Aloha,

I tracked down the doc yesterday. Found his info on the NZ CAA site. I have an appoinment set.

I was real lucky. My PR only took 3 months. I'm heading down next month to work on my conversion, not quite as easy since most of my time is military.

Youv'e picked a good time to apply. As well as the expansion there are lots of retirements coming up in the next few years.

Good Luck,
JD

JD,

When you go down there... which flight school are you going to? How much do you think it will cost you for the training.. I did find an Air Law study guide that I might buy and study for... then head down and sit the exam. I wish there was a place in the states to sit that exam.

Its good to know I got someone doing the same thing as me... we'll have to keep sharing ideas on how to get there...

Cheers,

Ryan

In a nutshell.... if you have 500 hours PIC or 1000 hours SIC in a commercial enviroment since the awarding of your original FAA ATP all you will be required to do is the ATPL Air Law examination. Otherwise you will have to sit all 7 exams, major a$$ pain there.
JD

You also have to pass a flight check correct? from this document:
http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/Flight_Crew_Recognition_Info.pdf

"2. When ASL has confirmed that the applicant is eligible for the NZ recognition provisions,
applicants will be required to:
• Complete the issue of a NZ Class 1 Medical Certificate, and
• Pass a NZ ATPL Air Law written examination, and
• Pass an ATPL issue flight test with a Civil Aviation Authority or an approved airline
flight examiner, then;"

I did find an Air Law study guide that I might buy and study for..

Ryan

Ryan, can you tell us where you found the guide? I'm assuming its not a Gleim publication :)

Last edited:
OZ. you are correct. However, if you get hired by Air NZ your sim check will count as the CAA checkride/type rating. All Air NZ requires to be hired is a CPL and ATPL exams complete. Obviously a full ATPL would be better.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I am married to a Kiwi, makes it a bit easier.

Generally a work permit is fairly easy to get. However Air NZ requires a residency permit, not so easy to get. Lots of paperwork and was over a grand in fees.

Google "Immigration New Zealand" for better details.

You will have to ask Aloha how he qualified.

Cheers,
JD

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back