• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air New Zealand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good call on many fronts Spitfire!! Both Southland Aero Club and Speights are top notch!! My wife's cousin is one of the instructors at Southern Wings / Southland Aero. He has been there for years. You are right about the cost of living etc. in Invercargill/Southland. Much cheaper then around Auckland etc. I plan on settling somewhere in the deep south, just not sure exactly where.

Things have changed a bit since '95, Now you you can work for Air NZ as long you have residency. Luckily I am finished with that process. So
who are you flying for now?

Cheers,
JD

Good call on many fronts Spitfire!! Both Southland Aero Club and Speights are top notch!! My wife's cousin is one of the instructors at Southern Wings / Southland Aero. He has been there for years. You are right about the cost of living etc. in Invercargill/Southland. Much cheaper then around Auckland etc. I plan on settling somewhere in the deep south, just not sure exactly where.

Things have changed a bit since '95, Now you you can work for Air NZ as long you have residency. Luckily I am finished with that process. So
who are you flying for now?

Cheers,
JD

Im on this ugly duckling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747_Large_Cargo_Freighter

Last edited:
Wow...I never knew that thing existed. I must admit I like it!! You must have an interesting career path to find your way there.

Wow. We actually reached 24 posts before somebody started posting the usual American xenophobic, anti-foreigner opinions.

How about all other countries ban Americans from flying there? Not such a good idea when the tables are turned, is it?

Well, if it happened in HKG, CX would cease to exist as 90% of the aircrew are "gweilos". Wake up mate, we work in a "global Village" these days...

Wow. We actually reached 24 posts before somebody started posting the usual American xenophobic, anti-foreigner opinions.

How about all other countries ban Americans from flying there? Not such a good idea when the tables are turned, is it?

Go apply at British Airways, Quanta, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, South African Airways, most Scandinavian carriers, ET. Al. I have flown with pilots from all these countries, except New Zealand. They come here and have no problem going to flight school or working for an airline.

Why can these countries REQUIRE citizenship for pilots (some countries require that you were actually born there) and it is cool. If an American Pilot suggests that we do the same here in America, He is a racist, a biggot, and otherwise unworldly person??? Personally, I could care less. Just make it fair. If a pilot from New Zealand, or anywhere else comes here to get a job, their country must be open to Americans going to their country for the same purpose.

Please get your facts straight. No European major airline requires a pilot to be a citizen of that country in order to fly there. They simply require the same that is required of non-Americans flying in the US, namely the legal right to live and work in that country and a license from that country. No different to the requirements for flying in the USA.

Over the years I have known 2 Americans flying for BA, 2 flying for EasyJet, 1 flying for Finnair and another flying for Air France. All are or were legally working at these airlines because of their marriage to Europeans. I even knew a Brit flying for South African Airways, and there are thousands of non-local citizens flying in the Middle East and Asia.

Don't think for a second that any non-American can simply show up in the US and apply for a job here without being either a naturalized citizen or a legal permanent resident. The only way to obtain these is through marriage to an American or from birth in the USA. Believe me, as a Brit living and working in the US legally due to my American wife for the past 13 years, I know what I'm talking about.

Go apply at British Airways, Quanta, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, South African Airways, most Scandinavian carriers, ET. Al. I have flown with pilots from all these countries, except New Zealand. They come here and have no problem going to flight school or working for an airline.

Why can these countries REQUIRE citizenship for pilots (some countries require that you were actually born there) and it is cool. If an American Pilot suggests that we do the same here in America, He is a racist, a biggot, and otherwise unworldly person??? Personally, I could care less. Just make it fair. If a pilot from New Zealand, or anywhere else comes here to get a job, their country must be open to Americans going to their country for the same purpose.

This post is just wrong on so many factual levels;

Name one of the companies above that requires citizenship of the home country to be employed.....In fact apart from Eire, I can't think of one of those countries, namely the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, South Africa or even Scandanavia, that actually requires you to be have been born in them, to be a citizen. I'm a citizen of 2 of them, having never been born in either....

I personally know of 3 Americans who fly for Qantas. All ex-military and married to Aussie women. Get the right to live and work in another country, get that country's license and you too can apply for a job. It's no different than it is here......

And for the love of god there's no "U" in QANTAS!!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back