Air midwest crashes into hangar @ CLT??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even more amazing...

totheline, pay attention, I HAVEN'T speculated at all, at least not online... your grade-school-level wisecracks about my online alter ego notwithstanding (hame that that's the best comeback you can throw back at me). But I'm sure it's too difficult to actually find that out for yourself, when you can just assume that I have. In any event, I guess it's also too difficult for YOU to actually remember what YOU wrote, but you are just as guilty of putting forth ideas as any other on this thread... And attempting to browbeat others for doing the same, and God forbid, getting whipped into a froth over rampant disinformation in the general media, is curious at the very least.

I won't even speculate about why it is that you attack others for doing what you do yourself... And then attack again when someone points it out to you... A conclusion arrived at by simply reading your posts.

People in glass houses, ya know. Maybe you should leave the flaming in the dustbin and do what you do best, cut-and-paste news articles, since they are always correct (as I know you will get angry if we suggest otherwise), and stop pestering pilots who are suggesting possible reasons for the accident. That way we can read them and come to our own conclusions while we await the official NTSB report(s). Suggesting that we stay off the bulletin boards and spend our time reviewing our Emergency Procedures is insulting, especially from someone who claims to have been a pilot.

Now that we know what the investigation is going to focus on, do you have any solutions as to how this accident can be prevented while you are "waiting"?

I know, I know...call on me please...I know....

Speculate away, just use some discernment of the facts and all available information, then apply your expertise you've gained as a pilot to the situation and reply with an idea for a solution.

How many factors can you identify? Remember, you are in a position to prevent mishaps just as much as anyone else. Try focusing your attention on prevention through analysis.

The 1900D model has a mtow of 17120 but the military used to load them a lot more. I don't think the doors were to blame but the plane was in maint. on monday for some elevator work and had several write ups for it.

jetdriven said:
Friend of mine is a 1900D sim instructor. Thery could not get the aircraft to get to 52 degrees ANU even with max gross weight 17,120 and CG 12" aft of rear limit. It would stall first every time at about 40-45 degrees.

the only way to get it that high was to accelerate to 160-175 KIAS real low to the ground and then use FULL UP ELEVATOR AND HOLD IT until the plane reached the attitude right as it stalls, even the it would still recover and fly out of it.

Something major happened I bet.

You're assuming the a/c was 'right side up' during the 52 ' nose up. That high of an ANU (52') could have been reached while inverted, if 52 is indeed an accurate report. What would seem like a nose up to the airplane could have been nose down in reference to the ground. Does anyone know if EADI's (sp?) attitude is recorded?

The elevator cables could have been disconnected as well (perhaps coming off their pulleys), making the airplane go nose up because the tail was heavier and from the thrust. This would have made recovering from any stall impossible after the 52 degrees nose up. I bet something really messed up happened to the flight controls.

With people speculating w/b problems, I'd like to ask the beech guys a question.
Does the 1900 have a wow switch on the nose gear, and is it connected to the beta horn system?

thanks

Another CNN.com news report

Another news report - click here.

The nutshell is that the leading NTSB investigator says he thinks the elevator jammed.

eddie said:
With people speculating w/b problems, I'd like to ask the beech guys a question.
Does the 1900 have a wow switch on the nose gear, and is it connected to the beta horn system?

thanks

No.

WOW switches are on both mains not on the nose. The switch on each main gear is for different systems.

as for horn...SIlence the horn... it comes on when power is pulled back (depends on aircraft at what torque setting) and the gear is not down, or if flaps 35 is selected and the gear is not down.

Unabashed speculation

From the article:

<<But Goglia, who had been the on-scene member of the team and the investigation's spokesman, offered a leading theory.

"I think they pulled back [the controls] and the elevator jammed," Goglia told The News & Observer of Raleigh. "That's my personal opinion.">>

Kinda strange for the NTSB to be speculating so early. I thought speculation was against their religion.

I wondering how the control lock works on the 1900. I'm sure it prevents the power levers from being advanced--as they obviously were on that takeoff, so I'm not suggesting the control lock was left in place. Besides that they probably did a flight control check before taking the runway.

Tragic.

Latest resources

Back