• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Mekong interview via Skype

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some pilots have crossed picket lines using the justification "I have to do it for my family" or "I have to do what is right for me". You are the same type.

I guess we all know what you would do if ASA went on strike.

You don't belong in this business, and I'm embarassed that you work for ASA.

Some pilots have crossed picket lines using the justification "I have to do it for my family" or "I have to do what is right for me". You are the same type.

Since you don't seem to have figured it out yet, ASA AVIATOR is clearly in management. Quite possibly he even may be your System Chief Pilot. Just thought I'd throw that out there so you can frame his comments appropriately.

Since you don't seem to have figured it out yet, ASA AVIATOR is clearly in management. Quite possibly he even may be your System Chief Pilot. Just thought I'd throw that out there so you can frame his comments appropriately.

That would definitely make sense.

Actually, I would NEVER cross a picket line.

But, I would choose a job based on my goals and needs, not the needs of people who shouldn't be factored into my decision. That's just common sense man.

Not only is it completely irrelevant but it is a clear indication that you have no idea what you are talking about, it is precisely because of the market conditions that we are telling you that this contract T&C's are way substandard, the S.E. ASIA MARKET. You can't compare the market here in the U.S. nor use it as any sort of reference because the business model that ASA is after with this venture is nothing like the business model that they have in the U.S. This regional carriers in S.E. Asia operate in a high yields market and they are profitable as stand alone organizations and not as part of a "brand" like here in the U.S. where they are just fee for departure and not really responsible for ticket sales and reservations, In the U.S. the brand doesn't really make money from the regionals as stand alone business ventures but rather as part of the feeding network into their hub and spoke system. That is NOT the way that this business venture in Vietnam will work for ASA, they will operate in a market that is not saturated and where the ticket prices will bring a revenue stream that supports salaries 40% higher than what you guys were so willing to say yes to. I want you guys to understand that ASA needs you for this venture a lot more than you need them, YOU have the upper hand here and not the other way around. Another aspect is that ASA is not limited with this venture by any sort of scope and that the operation of larger A/C's in the pacific rim and within S.E. Asia is within their grasp. This is where all of us contract pilots are very much against this T&C's because if you are willing to undercut by 40% at the regional level, would you be willing to do it at the wide body level? where does this lead to? this is a troubling trend of the degradation of salary conditions that we have experienced in the U.S. to spread like a cancer across the last frontier of higher salaries for pilots.

Nobody is blaming them for that, are you kidding? I think that after going on three decades in this crappy business I know what is like to be without a job so please could you not try to lecture people who have been doing this a LOT longer than you about the difficult decision that in this business have to be made. It comes down to selling your services for the right price, the price that goes with the market and what the company will be VERY willing to pay. Why sell it for $5 when the company will pay $8? and still make money

The market is the ASA pilot group, since they are the one the jobs have been offered to. If the company offers X contract, and people take it, then it was an okay offer.

Let me ask you this, what is your car worth?

It is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.

Well, the company can get someone to take the job for X amount. If the offer weren't enough, they would have to ante up more to get more interest.

Again, I understand what you are saying. If everyone colluded together they could attempt to force more money for everything. Houses, cars, pay rates, etc.

Anyway, I'm done. You guys can btch and moan about it to your heart's content, but the 40 slots will be filled at the current pay rates.

Probably just some dude trying to justify the huge decision he just signed on the dotted line for.

The market is the ASA pilot group, since they are the one the jobs have been offered to. If the company offers X contract, and people take it, then it was an okay offer.

Let me ask you this, what is your car worth?

It is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.

Well, the company can get someone to take the job for X amount. If the offer weren't enough, they would have to ante up more to get more interest.

Again, I understand what you are saying. If everyone colluded together they could attempt to force more money for everything. Houses, cars, pay rates, etc.

Anyway, I'm done. You guys can btch and moan about it to your heart's content, but the 40 slots will be filled at the current pay rates.

They came to such conclusion due to lack of information, what you call "bitchin" is really giving a perspective from someone who is actually doing contract work abroad and that understands the business model differences between the way the airline industry works in other parts of the world and the way it works back home, the trend of erosion of salary and conditions that has been experienced in the U.S. has to be eliminated at home and not promoted abroad with the excuse that the market perception is subjective, that is a ridiculous notion. A car is worth the blue book value, not what you think your car is worth and in the same token pilot salary on a particular equipment is what is been paid in the region to fly that A/C and not what uninformed pilots accept without having all the facts. Now that you have accepted that you understand my point, allow us to keep informing with facts and figures because doing nothing is allowing this cancer to keep growing. I believe that American pilots are some of the best pilots in the world and the fact that we have become "cheap exported labor" is something that we should feel ashamed of and I will keep talking against it.

Probably just some dude trying to justify the huge decision he just signed on the dotted line for.
The true "buyers remorse" will come when he looks into the street and sees cockroaches the size of VWs and needs a VD clinic and cannot read the street signs squiggly writing.
PBR

Thanks for the different perspectives everyone. I am not going to Vietnam.
It doesnt matter now (to me) but ASA Aviator is correct in his/her illustrations of how markets behave. Something is worth what it is bought/sold for, not what a magical "blue book" says or any other publication. That is why NADA, Kelley, Edmunds or any other ESTIMATOR of market conditions gives multiple price ranges.
The same is true of a housing market, job market, or any other market.
I think you guys have been arguing in cirlcles because ASA AVIATOR is talking about how the world is and the rest of you are talking about how you wish it was. Believe me, I wish with you, and that's why I won't take the contract. But you guys have been wrong about a lot of things on this thread.

Latest resources

Back