• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Mekong interview via Skype

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And don't forget that if you want to work for FedEx or UPS, they require that you have lived in the US for the prior 5 years I believe due to their security requirements.

If I am wrong, and I might be, I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

You had me at Fedex.

I had to walk away from this thread in pure frustration. Trying to share some insight based on ACTUAL experience only to hear people attempt to justify an all around poor decision was starting to piss me off.

The facts are basic: It is not glamorous being an ex-pat. It is much harder than any domestic flying job. There are many reasons the pay is higher (except for this outstanding gig) which have been covered ad-nauseum. You are not liked by the local nationals. Now you will not be liked by fellow ex-pats (other than your fellow Top Gunners). There is no protection for you. ASA (Don't even factor MeJet) does not care about you and will not come to your defense there. You are just making them a disgusting profit by foaming at the mouth to work on a glamorous overseas contract. You will go through many statges of which loathing your job, the place you are and the people you are around will be the final and longest lasting. You will be homesick. Living in a crashpad with other guys is not an acceptable lifestyle when you work overseas. Accepting this before the fact like many have on this thread is immature and defeatist all at the same time. You will not live as cheaply as you think you can. You will drink more, spend more and do out of character things in an attempt to make yourself and the situation feel normal. You will work more hours than you think. You will be coerced. You will probably be a crime victim at some point. You will get sick (hopefully just random stomach maladies and not tropical diseases such as Malaria). You will be frustrated by lack of standardization at the airline and with ATC. RVSM doesn't mean crap when you have a Russian cargo plane coming at you on the same airway with no transponder and a bad altimeter.

I could go on, but it won't do any good. There are some immature, naive fools that are "in it to win it" for themselves and just don't get it. This is the beginning of the end of fairly compensated overseas contract jobs. Don't think that Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, KAL, ANA and the rest aren't looking for ways to cut costs. This MeJet contract just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back by opening the floodgates for the new substandard for overseas jobs.

One thing you will learn: How to cooperate...or you will be coming home. Where is you ASA job going to be if you get fired by MeJet for any number of reasons? I've seen countless guys get fired for totally random things. It doesn't take gross miscondut to get fired. Good luck getting your final pay too.

The money isn't as good as it sounds. You must bepaid accordingly for the sacrifices you aren't aware that you're going to make.

Ok. Now back to the regularly scheduled program of trashing the negative attitude of stupid expats.

You are completely right. If they think the mean streets of Auburn, Daytona Beach, or down town ATL were hell wait until they arrive at a 3rd world country and actually be expected to live and work there under a contract. At least in downtown ATL you know why you were shanked.

Oh yeah, one last thing.

When you are a contract pilot, the airline will hold you to every letter of the contract. They, however, will interperate everything in their favor. Oh by the way, if you're not happy about the outcome, take them to court. Unfortunately, it will be in the jurisdiction of the company's locale. Good luck with getting time off from ASA to go to VietNam for your day in court.

Just another of the many reasons why contract pay seems to be so high.

All good points against accepting this contract but the major issue is that they (ASA) will go into a market with high enough yields that supports payment of 120 to 140K a year for a CRJ captain and still make a significant profit. You guys are accepting 80K in the same market to fly the same equipment, that alone should have prompted a "Call us back when you have a serious offer" from you guys. If you guys are so willing to accept 80 to fly a CRJ what's next? 100 to fly a 767?

Well, I'm signing off for good from this thread as well.

You can split hairs, argue semantics ALL day long, but capitalism/feeding my family/my superiors ordered me to do it have all been used in the past.

But, the bottom line is: You ARE undercutting wages for the same job and helping lower the bar, just as many have done in this profession.

But hey, don't listen to those guys trying to warn you or those of us asking that you think of consequences. Welcome to the self-entitlement generation!

I'm done.....

Well, I'm signing off for good from this thread as well.

You can split hairs, argue semantics ALL day long, but capitalism/feeding my family/my superiors ordered me to do it have all been used in the past.

But, the bottom line is: You ARE undercutting wages for the same job and helping lower the bar, just as many have done in this profession.

But hey, don't listen to those guys trying to warn you or those of us asking that you think of consequences. Welcome to the self-entitlement generation!

I'm done.....

Maybe so, but trying to resist market forces by whining won't get you anywhere. Go tell all the people who are selling their houses too cheap that they are devaluing your house. See what that gets you.

Latest resources

Back