Air Mekong interview via Skype

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oooh. Double zing on me.

Good for you, little Napoleon. Good for you!

I hope you take the MeJet(tm) contract with it's "class leading T&C's". Six months from now, you'll be finishing up leg 7 only to get a call that you're being "asked" to "cooperate" and operate 6 legs the following day (day 7) after 7.5 hours of "rest" from engines off to engines on. Who are you going to call? Hint: It won't be ALPA or the FAA. Then, you'll finally have enough wisdom to reflect upon this little thread on FI and say to yourself, "damn".

Oh yeah, keep up the condescending attitude and make sure to throw in a lot of passive-aggressive sarcasm. It will serve you very well overseas.

It's funny that you resort to attacking me for offering up a glimpse of the glamorous contract world. You're welcome for giving you information that most ex-pats won't. People trying to polish a turd and convince you that you're going on vacation certainly won't.

Enjoy the harsh lessons that lie ahead, Mr. I'm so awesome because I'm an RJ aviator. (cue the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" music)
Lighten up Bob, take a breath and relax or that vein on your forehead is going to pop! The people you need to take your anger out on is the management who set the price. The deal is an ASA pilot with ties in Vietnam set up the deal between Air Mekong and Skywest with the stipulation that ASA pilots first then Skywest pilots second get offered the job first. Now with over 4000 pilots offered the job with 156 of them furloughed and many of them in their twenties, management knew they only needed to make the deal sweet enough to take it better than being on endless reserve flying to podunk cities. That with the fact they get to come right back to their job with no time lost was the icing on the cake for them. No way your going to get 4000 pilots to say no in hopes of a better offer. Flying to Columbus Mississippi with sixty year old FA's at a LaQuinta or 1 year in Saigon with cheap beer and cheaper women, good luck talking them out of it to protect your job! The new group of regional pilots in the US have been taught by management and mainline pilots is it's "All about me and to eat your young", and it's only getting worse.

Yes, thank you for pointing out how ignorant I am about overseas contracts. I'm sure the all the ones that you've done have really enlightened you.

You sir, manage to be condescending while displaying naivete.

Congratulations?

Bob is correct.

I fly on an expat contract oversees for more than twice as much as this contract.

I hope that the employment situation in the States changes soon. If it doesn't you guys will be helping to "regionalize" the entire expat market.

I have put my resume in for this contract and I think, unless there is a big surprise in the interview (assuming I even get one), I will take it.
Just to offer another perspective for people considering this...
I am a 5th year FO at ASA and I don't expect my position to change within a year. The contract offers experience that would make me a better pilot and differentiate my resume from others when I look for my next job.
I understand the lack of a union or work rules but I don't think it would benefit Air Mekong or ASA for the work environment to be terrible. They are using the same math to crew 4 planes as they would at ASA so it seems like the crew utilization could not be drastically different. If ASA management is successful in helping with this start-up they could market themselves as an airline start-up consulting firm...so creating a positive environment for the contract pilots in Vietnam would be mutually beneficial (i.e. pilots are happy and ASA doesn't have a problem getting more volunteers for future endeavors like this one if they come).
I would be taking home double what I make now. From what I can tell I would be able to cut my expenses to a little over $1000/mo. I could come back to the States with more than $30,000 in the bank. That, combined with the resume boost and life experience is enough for me.
Good luck with your decisions.

bẩn máy bay cho phi công tiền lương thấp
Mesa sux....
bouyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Is that dish served with chicken or with rice?

I have put my resume in for this contract and I think, unless there is a big surprise in the interview (assuming I even get one), I will take it.
I am a 5th year FO at ASA and I don't expect my position to change within a year. The contract offers experience that would make me a better pilot and differentiate my resume from others when I look for my next job.

Hopefully it won't be an overseas job. As you have shown you are willing to undercut other expats and they won't be so welcoming with the damage you have done.

I understand the lack of a union or work rules but I don't think it would benefit Air Mekong or ASA for the work environment to be terrible.

I highly doubt it. You are temporary help and the company is run by locals. They are there to use you until they get on your feet. It might not be terrible but it won't be anything like ASA.

If ASA management is successful in helping with this start-up they could market themselves as an airline start-up consulting firm...so creating a positive environment for the contract pilots in Vietnam would be mutually beneficial (i.e. pilots are happy and ASA doesn't have a problem getting more volunteers for future endeavors like this one if they come).

Great and continue to spread far below standard pay throughout the world. Really, thats a great idea.

I would be taking home double what I make now. From what I can tell I would be able to cut my expenses to a little over $1000/mo

Good luck with that. Only if you live in a slum or share a crashpad with 4 other guys. BTW, other expats make enough to afford a nice place by themselves. After a while you will start to miss food from home and start spending more. $1000 a month is not realistic at all.

I could come back to the States with more than $30,000 in the bank.

Other contracts would allow you to do that in 6 months, easily.

That, combined with the resume boost and life experience is enough for me.

Cause it's all about me and da*m everyone else.

I understand the lack of a union or work rules but I don't think it would benefit Air Mekong or ASA for the work environment to be terrible. They are using the same math to crew 4 planes as they would at ASA so it seems like the crew utilization could not be drastically different. If ASA management is successful in helping with this start-up they could market themselves as an airline start-up consulting firm...so creating a positive environment for the contract pilots in Vietnam would be mutually beneficial (i.e. pilots are happy and ASA doesn't have a problem getting more volunteers for future endeavors like this one if they come).
I would be taking home double what I make now. From what I can tell I would be able to cut my expenses to a little over $1000/mo. I could come back to the States with more than $30,000 in the bank. That, combined with the resume boost and life experience is enough for me.
Good luck with your decisions.

Glad you are thinking about yourself - my family thanks you :puke::mad:

Latest resources

Back